AMW ProX Hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m85476585

Reaction score
I've only flown Aerotech HPR until now since that was all that was available at local launches, but now that I can get stuff online (and the dealer here will probably have more options), I want to fly skidmarks! But I'm confused by the AMW/CTI partnership. AMW's site seems to list both AMW and CTI 54mm hardware. What hardware should I buy to have the most options, or should I wait? I'm only interested in 54mm and up since I have an array of 38mm AT cases.

I'd like much the same info for the 38mm stuff too.

I've only flown Aerotech HPR until now since that was all that was available at local launches, but now that I can get stuff online (and the dealer here will probably have more options), I want to fly skidmarks! But I'm confused by the AMW/CTI partnership. AMW's site seems to list both AMW and CTI 54mm hardware. What hardware should I buy to have the most options, or should I wait? I'm only interested in 54mm and up since I have an array of 38mm AT cases.

For 38mm it is simple: AMWPro38 is identical to Pro38. Difference is in the name (i.e. Red Rhino v.s. Red Lightning). All these products are manufactured by CTI, and hardware and reloads are interchangeable. The 38 mm Skidmarks used to be exclusive to AMWProX, but are now also available through other selected CTI dealers.

For 29mm there will not be an AMWPro29 line. Pro29 products are sold as Pro29 by AMW using CTI's regular propellant names. No zoo, but the same fun.

Now for 54mm:

CTI has a line of 54mm "SU"-like motors: Pro54. Assembly and clean-up of these motors takes very little time. There is a wide product range in this hardware: sizes from 2G to 6GXL and 6 different propellants. Skidmarks are certified and available in all sizes (not all of them are shown on our website, but will be added this week). We also have our popular dual-thrust motor available. Imax propellant will be available in this line as well. All CTI dealers carry this product, including AMWProX. There is no re-labeled Pro54 line (no AMWPro54). On AMWProX's web site you will find these products under "CTI Pro Motor Reload Kits". Although this is only a selection of our product range, all of the certified reloads are available through AMWProX - as well as through other CTI dealers.

AMW Classic 54 hardware is the snap-ring style hardware. CTI manufactures about 25 different loads for these. Most of these motors come with disposable nozzle (require a nozzle carrier). All of them come with e-matches and igniter pellets. All CTI propellants are available in this line, except for Imax. AMWProX carries most inventory, but we are also distributing this line to some selected dealers. On AMWProX's website, you will find these reloads under the "AMW Pro-X Reload" label. Some really interesting motors are the 54-2550 Blue and Red that were just certified. There is also a new K1250 54-1750 White, and 54-1750 Skidmark. AMW is also manufacturing reloads for this hardware as well. You will find that under the "AMW Motor Reload" label.

I recently wrote a summary of the CTI line-up. This can be found here, and may answer some questions you may still have about our lineup.
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4003

Jeroen

So it looks like if I invest in 54mm AMW classic hardware I will have the most options and I won't be stuck with obsolete hardware sometime down the road, right?

So it looks like if I invest in 54mm AMW classic hardware I will have the most options and I won't be stuck with obsolete hardware sometime down the road, right?
If you are even considering research motors in the future, go with the AMW snap ring cases. The Pro series hardware is very difficult to make reloads as the inert parts are unique. For snap ring cases, all you need is a liner, casting tubes and a couple O-rings.

I would lean towards the CTI cases actually. They are easier to use, have more variety, and if anything, they are the ones less likely to be obsolete. On the other hand, if you want to go EX, the AMW cases are the way to go.

In the larger 54mm cases AMW... you can fly Pro X
AMW
and Aerotech KBA loads

Also the 75mm AMW cases.....same as above

Yep, although another good choice for variety in 75mm is the Aerotech hardware, in which you can fly all AT and CTI loads.

OK, so what parts are reusable with AMW hardware? as far as I can tell, AMW reloads take a graphite nozzle while Pro-X reloads use a disposable nozzle in a reusable nozzle carrier. The O-rings are included with the reloads, so I'm assuming those are disposable.

If I want to get multiple sizes, what parts are interchangeable between cases? Is is everything but the graphite nozzles? The nozzle washer has a different part number for each size case.

f I want to get multiple sizes, what parts are interchangeable between cases? Is is everything but the graphite nozzles? The nozzle washer has a different part number for each size case.

On AMW, the nozzle varies depending on the case size, and for the Pro-AMW, it may well vary depending on the load in the particular case. In the latter, it's not an issue, since the nozzle comes with the load, anyway.

Snap rings, nozzle washers and forward closures are interchangeable between all the cases, as well as the nozzle carrier for the Pro-AMW loads.

-Kevin

With AMW, for each new case size you'll only need 2 (or 3) new parts:
1) the case
2) thrust ring
3) if using AMW loads, the appropriate graphite nozzle; for the Pro-X loads you'll need the nozzle carrier if you don't already.

Go Green!!
Gorilla rocket motors :)
I'll definitely have to agree with you there. Great motors....his white long burn is something neither CTI nor AMW has...very cool. Jim is local and travels to two of my flying sites so I fly exclusively Gorilla motors in the 54 and up sizes. It made it especially convenient during the LEUP-era of rocketry. Even now, I'll continue to fly Gorilla motors.

I looked up the directions for assembling a 54-2550 AMW/Pro-X load, and found that you need to stack two nozzle washers on top of the foreward closure to take up space. On this page on the AMW/Pro-X site: https://www.amwprox.com/content/view/57/82/ they sell AMW "classic" hardware. Is this hardware designed for the AMW/Pro-X loads (the ones I intend to use) or the old AMW loads? Does it come with the two nozzle washers? I find this a rather perplexing problem, and if you guys could straighten it out, I'd be much 'bliged.

I'll definitely have to agree with you there. Great motors....his white long burn is something neither CTI nor AMW has...very cool. Jim is local and travels to two of my flying sites so I fly exclusively Gorilla motors in the 54 and up sizes. It made it especially convenient during the LEUP-era of rocketry. Even now, I'll continue to fly Gorilla motors.

Umm...

CTI does have some white long burns actually - they're brand new. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I have tried the new white propellant (and it's very nice). They have the Pro24 F30 and G65, the Pro29 H54, and the Pro54 J140 and K261.

I would be curious to see a Gorilla motor sometime though - there aren't any local dealers here, so I haven't had a chance to see any of them. I've heard good things about them.

Umm...

CTI does have some white long burns actually - they're brand new. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I have tried the new white propellant (and it's very nice). They have the Pro24 F30 and G65, the Pro29 H54, and the Pro54 J140 and K261.

I would be curious to see a Gorilla motor sometime though - there aren't any local dealers here, so I haven't had a chance to see any of them. I've heard good things about them.

Try this out https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=70&groupid1=84294867

:D:D

You could always try kosdon. cheap reloads, good cases for EX...

and...new to the kosdon line...

duh.. duh duh duh
Completely legal
;)

Seriously though, if you want more info, feel free to private message me

-Braden

I flew a K260 in my 54 mm stealth at red glare - lots of fun, 8 second burn time. It's a little regressive, so for the last second or two the stealth got pushed by the wind so I ended up walking about 1000 feet to get it...a huge walk for a stealth, but a pretty cool flight!

I looked up the directions for assembling a 54-2550 AMW/Pro-X load, and found that you need to stack two nozzle washers on top of the foreward closure to take up space. On this page on the AMW/Pro-X site: https://www.amwprox.com/content/view/57/82/ they sell AMW "classic" hardware. Is this hardware designed for the AMW/Pro-X loads (the ones I intend to use) or the old AMW loads? Does it come with the two nozzle washers? I find this a rather perplexing problem, and if you guys could straighten it out, I'd be much 'bliged.

It will only come with one nozzle washer. That said, if you order from Robert, it's worth asking if he'll toss in a second nozzle washer, if that's what the loads require.

I believe you also need a nozzle carrier to fly an AMW/Pro-X load. Like the washer, that's a reusable part.

-Kevin

So the AMW classic hardware they're selling is the old AMW hardware with the graphite nozzle? If I want AMW/Pro-X hardware, will I have to buy all the components seperately?

So the AMW classic hardware they're selling is the old AMW hardware with the graphite nozzle? If I want AMW/Pro-X hardware, will I have to buy all the components seperately?

Talk to your dealer -- ask if they'll sell you AMW hardware with the nozzle carrier, instead of the graphite nozzle. Otherwise, buy the AMW set, and pick up the nozzle carrier (they're not very expensive).

The only real difference between the two is that classic AMW loads (and KBA loads) use the graphite nozzle. AMW/Pro-X use a phenolic nozzle in the nozzle carrier.

-Kevin

At Red Glare I bought an AMW 54-1400 case as well as a AMW/CTI K935 Wild Wolf. Nozzle carrier was free with the reload from Tim at Wildman.

Back