AMW 4" Bigger Daddy Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my other Airfest project, the lovely AMWProX 4" Bigger Daddy. I did a quick and easy assembly with 5 minute epoxy for basic bonding and West Systems and colloidal silica for fillets.

I was fortunate enough that an up-and-coming 2K automotive spray paint company reached out and offered me some samples of their yet-to-be-released product. After paint, I topped it off with Stickershock printed decals.

It came out decent! I need to wet sand the line between the yellow and black on the nosecone and see if I can correct some of the bleeding.

First flight will be on a CTI K740 at Airfest in a couple of weeks.

Braden

Attachments

• bigdaddy.jpg
    bigdaddy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 37
Why make the daddy bigger, when you can make the motor mount bigger?

I want to min diameter one of these Bigger Daddies though. Sometime after I get this one flown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 45
Why make the daddy bigger, when you can make the motor mount bigger?

I want to min diameter one of these Bigger Daddies though. Sometime after I get this one flown
I was bummed you didn't get to fly at LDRS! Looking forward to seeing it go!

Braden

That’s quite the flame for such a small rocket! I just stuffed an I1299 in a rocket that was only slightly longer than the motor over the weekend. Something like a 2.5:1 flame:rocket ratio.
It's pretty ideal!

I really want to put a K185 in it and see how it does.

Braden

Does anyone know if AMW still makes this kit? This wasn't that long ago and now their "zoo" only contains a few obscure kits.

Sorry for your loss. I imagine it would be relatively easy to scratch a Bigger Daddy from Wildman / MAC Performance materials, no?
Absolutely! It's definitely something to consider. The real struggle is finding a proper nosecone.

Braden

Sorry for your loss @UPscaler, but, think of what you can do now. I've seen those Home Depot cement tubes in your garage in some of your videos. I think it's time you moved in true fashion to your handle here on TRF, and really Upscaled the Big Daddy. Take one of those 10" Diameter tubes I know you've got, and build the biggest baddest Big Daddy there can ever be. Ok, the nose-cone is going to be an issue, but I have faith, you can fabricate it from foam and fiberglass. Make something truly epic.

Sorry for your loss @UPscaler, but, think of what you can do now. I've seen those Home Depot cement tubes in your garage in some of your videos. I think it's time you moved in true fashion to your handle here on TRF, and really Upscaled the Big Daddy. Take one of those 10" Diameter tubes I know you've got, and build the biggest baddest Big Daddy there can ever be. Ok, the nose-cone is going to be an issue, but I have faith, you can fabricate it from foam and fiberglass. Make something truly epic.
I actually only have a single piece in 8". I have the appropriate nosecone but promised it to one of my Patreon supporters so I don't want to double back on that.
I think if I was going to do a big big big daddy it would be something along the lines of 16" or something absurd.

Braden

Latest posts

Back