AMROCS - Wombat (K-5) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
Here are a couple of my attempts at building a rocket that boosts AND then glides. The best that I have been able to do so far is to achieve half of that equation.

In the left is my clone of the AMROCS Wombat. Next to it is a clone of the Estes Astron Falcon.

Both gliders do wonderfully in hand tosses. In actual rocket flights, though, it's a different story. Of the two, the Wombat does a bit better. The motor pod keeps popping off at the end of its high speed, high inclination "landings" though.

Post copied with permission

Attachments

• Boost Gliders - Wombat and Falcon.jpg
    Boost Gliders - Wombat and Falcon.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more Wombat!

In addition to the full-sized Wombat, I also constructed a downscaled version to launch on MicroMaxx motors. Fins and finlets are 1/32" balsa. Nose cone is balsa, from FlisKits. The "blast shield" is silver-colored barbecue grill paint. Visible on the trailing edge of the wing are my trim weights: two strips of "match solder" from Radio Shack. They are folded around the edge and then held in place with a drop of CA each.

It glides acceptable well in indoor hand tosses. In its only launch so far, the Micro Wombat disappeared from the pad at ignition. I subsequently found it in the grass a few yards away. An observer stationed further away from the pad might have been able to see the flight profile. Due to my restricted view of the "range" (my front yard), I have no idea how it actually flew.

Micro Wombat.jpg

Micro Wombat 2.jpg

Before we're done here.. y'all be wearing gold-plated diapers.

Here's one more photo of my full-sized Wombat, taken during its construction. That's the jig I set up to glue on the finlets so that that would be perfectly vertical and perpendicular to the wing. Galleries aren't supposed to be build threads, so I'll leave the description right there and say no more here.

Wombat - finlet gluing jig.jpg

Nice work! Love them. Keep at it. Sounds like the glide slope is just a tad steep. Take a tiny bit off weight off the rear and try again.

Jeff

Welcome to the AMROCS Wombat (K-5) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the AMROCS Wombat (K-5)and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

AMROCS: Wombat: K-5

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
AMROCS Wombat (K-5) Basic Information.

AMROCS_TRF.gif
AMROCS

MODEL NAME: Wombat Also known as:

NUMBER: K-5

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1969
Designer:

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Glide
Stages: 1
Length: 8.7"
Diameter: 0.75"
Span: 5.4"
Weight: 0.5 oz

Mfg. Description: The simplicity of this rocket glider makes it ideal as a first boost glider for the new rocketeer or as a quick-to-build contest bird for the more experienced modeler. Due to its design, it can fly even in stiff breezes and is built to take a beating. Containing only 9 pieces (none of them moveable) this glider can be flown less than an hour after construction is started. Weighing about .5 ounces after painting, this glider will fly to amazing heights for long glides and spectacular flights. Complete instructions which include alterations so the glider conforms to NAR rulings. (AMROCS 1967 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

amrocs-wombat%20k5-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

amrocs-wombat%20k5-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Surprised, no, SHOCKED at how well this performed. Figures that it cracked a fin during the flight and that piece was lost.AMROCS Wombat.JPG AMROCS Wombat liftoff.JPG

Back