AMRAAM Fins & Wings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
On most AMRAAM pics I see, the fins and wings are nearly the same size.

iu.jpeg
So I'm wondering about this kit:

AIM120C4-Kit LOC3.9 sideways.jpg
And this one:

PMamraam4sideways.jpg
I suspect the real one has steerable wings and the models don't, and non-steerable forward wings do nothing but push the CP forward, so the smaller the better (Correct if not quite right).

So I'm wondering if anyone managed to move the CG forward even more, just to get a look that's closer to the real thing. Do all kits have smaller wings? Is loading the nose with weight the only solution? Let me know if I'm missing something. Thx.

I don't have a good reference, but I think the forward fins of the AMRAAM have evolved over time and were smaller on earlier versions of the missile.

Last edited:
Possible. I'm always intrigued by fin shape and configuration. Not obvious why a shape should be chosen over another.

I worked on the AMRAAM program some years ago. We had a full-scale model in our office. It was long before I had ever even heard of high-power rocketry, so I never even considered building a rocket that large. Now, a full-scale AMRAAM is on my to-do list. I have been looking at the way some have used pivots on forward fins to keep them from adversely affecting stability.

Anyway, the smaller fins don't look wrong to me, so I think that model in our office had them. That was about thirty years ago and the missile had already been in development for more than ten years. It's kind of amazing (and a bit sobering) to think that the AMRAAM has been around that long.

Ok. Well I like to hear that. I'll keep it as a side project to look into this. It may be a good excuse to get in touch with the (current) pros. No full-scale in the near future for me, but hopefully one of the production kits down the line.

Thanks for the Alway & Timm measurements, that might be come in handy.

Back