Ammunition reloading and or Black Powder Rifles???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did pick up a new pellet gun. A .458 cal DAQ LA Outlaw with a laminate stock.:y:

Does that count?

Al

LA1.jpg

My reloading bench has RCBS at one end and Aerotech on the other. Been through a couple of pounds of Pyrodex, too.

I used to reload before i went to iraq, was taught by my mothers uncle who left me all his firearms and equipment when he past. I Reloaded for most of the firearms in my collection used to do my primers while watching tv. Used a lyman spartan II rotory top vice. Shill have it to though i'm putting it up on ebay i. stoped reloading when i came home from iraq. my memory isnt like it used to be so i am afraid to do it. also most of my dies disapeared as well. I reloaded fmv mainly except for my 35 and 25 cal as they where lead only and i had to mold them myelf.

• 5.56mm
  • 9mm
  • 9 luger
  • 8mm
  • 45 cal
  • 40. cal
  • 50. cal
  • 35cal
  • 25cal
  • 357 mag
  • 38spcl
  • 12ga
  • 10ga
  • 20ga
  • 24ga
  • and a bunch of others

I wonder if we saw each other. I drove the "shooter shuttle" at Camp Perry for two weeks one summer in the late 80's or early 90's. So long ago now I'd have to really think to remember.

I liked riding that shuttle too lol! We might have, I remember that it was always a good time out there :D I still have some of the score books from 88,89 and 91. We had our team picture with them loading all the tanks in the back ground they just painted bound for desert storm. I think it was 1988.

I shoot muzzle-guns, and cast my own minies and other projectiles. Pure lead sems hard for me to come by. I've shot DCM/CMP comps and others. I was happy enough with my performance, but with the cost and availability of ammo what it is, I can't practice even a fraction of what I could anymore, so no more competitions.
I have built my own front stuffers, and restore vintage war rifles/pistols.
I also do -ALOT- of reloading, though nowhere near what I used to, I still play with -NUMEROUS- calibers
Calibers I am currently loading on a regular basis:
.22 Hornet
.380ACP
5.7x28
These also include molding my own bullets.
I also regularly 'modify' .22rimfire ammo to custom fit my needs for both target and hunting.

Here's -a bit fuzzy- picture of the latest old warrior I've restored. It's an 1888 German Mauser (Commision) made in 1890 at Spandau. It's got a quite a history! :)

Eric:)

Last edited:
I also regularly 'modify' .22rimfire ammo to custom fit my needs for both target and hunting.

You have me curious: What can possibly be done to "modify" 22 rimfire? And how do you perform micro-surgery on 22s?

only have (1) gun.

50cal something flint lock ( it works ) dated to 1773, Boston maker.
pass down thru the family for a looong time, as I will to my son, find it stops stupid questions when getting BP.:D

I do know why they prop these in tree forks, heavvvy and looong!:eek:

Last edited:
Impressive. I have an older scoped .22 that seems a little loose and that looks like it would help a lot. I'm in the process of rebedding the barrel using Birchwood-Casey product but I'll bet that this would help much more.

Calibers I am currently loading on a regular basis:
.22 Hornet
.380ACP
5.7x28
Eric:)

The .22 Hornet if a fun little gun. Currently working up some loads for a 77/22H.

What gun do you have in 5.7x28?

Al

I have the older phase 1-2 tools.

It seems amazing that pounding/squeezing those little lead slugs so the diam jumps a few thousandths would make such a difference. Then again, like they say, there are a buzillion 22-cal firearms out there with a buzillion different chamber sizes, and I can see how changing the projectile into a "wadcutter" shape would get more bearing surface on the lands and grooves, and would seal up a bit more chamber pressure behind it.

Thanks for the tip, now I have to save up for another toy.....

The .22 Hornet if a fun little gun. Currently working up some loads for a 77/22H.

What gun do you have in 5.7x28?

Al

PM sent:) Also re-reading the articles, I first got my toos in late 02, early 03, so they're phase-1 or earlier. Still work darn good after 7 years! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back