Ammo Can Motor Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am in the US Army and have a ample supple of Ammo cans. I know I do not need to store my motors in anything, but for safety purposes I would like to store them in something to decrease the risk of fires. I though Ammo cans would be a good way to go.

Does anyone know of a commercial conversion to mortise locks or have a good design they have developed. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Chuck Haislip

Since APCP is not an explosive, you do not need to have locks on the storage. Just use the ammo cases as is.

Bob

Since APCP is not an explosive, you do not need to have locks on the storage. Just use the ammo cases as is.

Bob

my thoughts exactly. Its more to keep track of. Instead of grabbing a reload quick you need to fnd the key then unlock then pull it off then open grab the reload, close and relock

vs.

open hatch grab load and shut

I still keep mine locked because of having kids around and do not need them getting into them. Rather be safe then sorry. Chuck I will take some pictures of how I modified my 40mm ammo can and post them in little bit.

Here are some pictures of how I did mine. I was going to weld hoods over the ends of the lid but never did.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

I like the hasp modification.

I have an old WWII .50 cal box that has that done to it, but I don't use it for rocketry (too small).

My current motor box is that same 20mm style but just no locks (no kids, no pets, etc.)

I assume there's a lock on each side...

N

I like the hasp modification.

I have an old WWII .50 cal box that has that done to it, but I don't use it for rocketry (too small).

My current motor box is that same 20mm style but just no locks (no kids, no pets, etc.)

I assume there's a lock on each side...

N

I have modified a 50 cal box the same way and store my ignitors in it. The box above has a lock on each end.

Here are some pictures of how I did mine. I was going to weld hoods over the ends of the lid but never did.

As you don't need significant security a padlock through the handle and catch of the ammo box at each end saves having to weld a hasp to the box. This is what I have used for my box. as the handles are just wire it provides no real security but prevents casual access to the motors. This is what I have used for my box and have been quite happy with it.

I am thinking more of keeping kids out of my motors. I have a 10 year old son.

I converted mine to lock with two deadbolts. If you just want to keep kids out, this is overkill, but it should be good enough to keep the ATF out (or at least satisfy their requirements).

I mounted the deadbolts in the lid like you would mount them in a door, so each one locks on one of the narrow sides. They are mounted in a piece of 2x6 wood. There is more 2x6 down the sides with reinforced lock plates for each lock. Each vertical 2x6 has 2 big round-head carriage bolts through the outside of the ammo can to prevent the wood from being puled out. To make the lid impossible to remove even if one lock is defeated, I added large angle brackets on the bottom of the lid that force it to be removed straight up, which is only possible if both locks are unlocked. The long sides have 1/4" plywood to be nonsparking (though paint is nonsparking enough unless you are paranoid or the ATF). The whole thing is painted red and it weighs close to 40lbs empty.

"I am in the US Army and have a ample supple of Ammo cans."

The American taxpayer owns those cans.

"I am thinking more of keeping kids out of my motors. I have a 10 year old son "

So, you don't trust your boy?

And your point is?????? Last I checked you pay taxes while you are in the military. I know I sure did during my 10 years I was in.

"I am thinking more of keeping kids out of my motors. I have a 10 year old son "

It is not a matter of trust, it is a point of using common sense and not taking a chance.

I have four ammo cans that I use to sort out my 18mm, 24mm, 29mm and 38mm motors. I bought mine at flea markets and army surplus. They all had some rust on them, but I was able to clean them up. I assumed they were discarded by the military, but I never really thought about how the person that sold them had acquired them.

I remember some of the stuff I did when I was 10 years old, and I would not trust leaving motors around where a 10-year old could access them. I quess I'm more protective than my parents were.

Dave

No, I know what 10 year old do with that stuff. I was 10 and I remember violating many of the new safety codes.

I have two 105mm fuse cans that are quite a bit larger than the ammo cans shown here, 4 latches around the middle. Lid has a cast in rubber gasket that being from WW2 era are in great shape. I've has as much as 30 lbs of reloads in just one and it was half full.

Green, of course :cyclops:

I use a .50 cal box as a range box for my G loads and smaller.

I also have a 20mm or mortar round box about 18" tall I use for larger reloads.

Being a tax payer and buying my cans at the local gun show ; I guess I've paid for them twice.:confused2:

Al

That is almost as bad as earning taxpayer money only to turn around and have it taxed. Just pay me less and take out the middle man.

Since we, the American taxpayer, own them, I think we should be able to just stop by our friendly local military base and pick up a few (dozen).

Obviously, first come, first served, limited availability, etc. but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

They could ship empties back from the various war zones and make some money back.

Cheers,
Jon

These things are sold in military surplus sales all the time, and I'm betting the majority are sold for scrap.

-Kevin

The Navy just chucks them over the side when they are empty. If you do want to take one home it MUST be painted to conceal the lot and serial numbers. You see they are one time use, and once they are empty and demilitarized they are Government trash not government property.

What the....? He can have my share of those cans, in thanks for his service.

Sheesh. :bangpan:

Back