Amazon Shipping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good or bad, I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. In the past year or so, most of the Amazon deliveries have been by the local gray Amazon delivery vans. The neet part about the Amazon deliveries is that the delivery notice includes a picture of the package on your doorstep. This was my most recent delivery:
Amazon.jpg
One minor problem: That's not my doorstep.

Correct address on the order, and it's not difficult to find, but I guess it happens anyway. Not really easy to find the problem 'chat' page on Amazon, but once there they were really helpful and ordered a replacement that arrived today, at the right doorstep.

Two days ago, USPS delivered one of my son's packages to a house two blocks away... with a different street name. We knew something was off because he got a delivery notification at 11:00 am and our mail never arrives before 2:00 pm. It took a little while after he called, but they were finally able to reclaim it an redeliver it to the correct house (ours).

Package delivery can be separate from letter delivery, and at a different time. The last package I received was several hours before I usually get mail.

Two days ago, USPS delivered one of my son's packages to a house two blocks away... with a different street name. We knew something was off because he got a delivery notification at 11:00 am and our mail never arrives before 2:00 pm. It took a little while after he called, but they were finally able to reclaim it an redeliver it to the correct house (ours).

One minor problem: That's not my doorstep.
Correct address on the order, and it's not difficult to find, but I guess it happens anyway. Not really easy to find the problem 'chat' page on Amazon, but once there they were really helpful and ordered a replacement that arrived today, at the right doorstep.

I've encountered a lot of interesting shipping challenges lately.
  • One of my Amazon packages was delivered ... to a wrong town ... in a wrong state. Amazon didn't bother to fix things, just credited my CC after I opened a "return or replace" ticket.
  • Next day Amazon delivery is now taking 5 working days.
  • 2 day Amazon shipping orders sitting in "ordered by not shipped" state for 4-6 calendar days, and then they get delivered same day from the Amazon warehouse about 45 minutes away from my house.
On the other hand, it's not just Amazon.
At 2-day USPS priority mail package recently took 17 (seventeen!) days to arrive, with an 11 (eleven) day gap when it got stuck in "In Transit to Next Facility" status.

On the flip side, an eBay order from a Chinese seller took only 14 (fourteen) days to arrive, from order to delivery. And that included 11 (eleven) days on the ship.

All during the month of April.

Placed a order with apogee that encluded a non hazmat motor. Also stuck in " In Transit to Next Facility" 33 days now, still not here.

I own a training company and I order a lot of books for classes lasting a few days to a week. (Well, I used too!) Amazon ordering and delivery got so bad I ended up getting set up as a “college” with the publishers and ordering direct rather than go through Amazon. Pretty sad when you consider Amazon started as an online bookstore. I even got an Amazon ‘logistics exec’ on the phone one day (after several hours of being ‘escalated’ up the food chain) and shared my screen with them so they could see the issues I was experiencing. They were surprised but basically said good luck.

In spite of living in an area where I can get 4 hour delivery of a lot of Amazon stuff, I avoid them as much as possible.

Tony

My house is at the end of a long driveway (property is a full acre). It can be hard to tell if you've got the right house. I've had Amazon send me pictures of my purchase sitting on my next-door neighbors' porch many times. I usually contact Amazon and ask them to fix it and the driver comes back out and retrieves it and delivers to me.

My house is at the end of a long driveway (property is a full acre). It can be hard to tell if you've got the right house. I've had Amazon send me pictures of my purchase sitting on my next-door neighbors' porch many times. I usually contact Amazon and ask them to fix it and the driver comes back out and retrieves it and delivers to me.

Same here John, my driveway is about 200 meters long, it's marked but you can't see the house from the road.

So my neighbours usually get a lot of my stuff :(

We have a long driveway, too, and had issues with Amazon deliveries being left in our driveway and even tossed in the bushes at our gate. It was getting really frustrating with me coming home from work and having to avoid packages in the driveway. Once, a UPS truck accidentally ran over one of the packages. I forget exactly what was in the package, but I recall that it was electronic with batteries in it. The bottom end with the batteries was squashed flat.

After several calls, I escalated it with Amazon's customer service until I got a call back from someone saying she was from the CEO's office. She updated our account so that, at least most of the time, Amazon's delivery service isn't used for us. It means we don't get same-day delivery any more, but we no longer have to go hunting for packages that we eventually find sitting in the rain!

To be fair, though, I think that Amazon's delivery service has gotten better since then. We do get some deliveries from Amazon's own service and haven't had any recent issues. And I have seen their web site prompt me for feedback about deliveries.

On a side note, does everyone know that you can sign up with USPS to get a daily e-mail with pictures of your mail being delivered each day? It's easy, and now I know what to expect in my mailbox. If something is in the picture but not in my box, I know to check with neighbors.

On a side note, does everyone know that you can sign up with USPS to get a daily e-mail with pictures of your mail being delivered each day? It's easy, and now I know what to expect in my mailbox. If something is in the picture but not in my box, I know to check with neighbors.

Yes, I like that service.
Our mail person has been known to skip our little out of the way street at times.
Saturday mail? LOL

Now with this service it keeps things in check ;)

https://informeddelivery.usps.com
I love it!

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action
Shortly after signing up for "Informed Delivery" I saw that we were getting a letter from the IRS. After worrying all day about it, I got home and read the letter. It said that our refund had been processed.

So, now I never look at the emails. :)

The service may be especially useful for someone with a PO box since you can see if it is worth visiting the box to get your mail. Unfortunately, it isn't available for business PO boxes.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action
Shortly after signing up for "Informed Delivery" I saw that we were getting a letter from the IRS. After worrying all day about it, I got home and read the letter. It said that our refund had been processed.

So, now I never look at the emails. :)

The service may be especially useful for someone with a PO box since you can see if it is worth visiting the box to get your mail. Unfortunately, it isn't available for business PO boxes.

I wish I would get one of those letters...

Hopefully by Christmas.

I did not know that! What a great idea! Maybe now I can get to the bottom of why Amazon tells me a package was delivered, but it is nowhere to be found.

I did not know that! What a great idea! Maybe now I can get to the bottom of why Amazon tells me a package was delivered, but it is nowhere to be found.

That only works for USPS deliveries, of course. Amazon also uses their own delivery service and UPS (and, rarely, some smaller services). You can track your orders through the Orders link at Amazon.

Amazon's delivery service has the worst, least detailed, tracking but usually includes a photo taken of the package when delivered ...

... Which is how I finally found the package that had been thrown on top of a pile of leaves beside our driveway a couple of days ago!! I take back the comment I made earlier about them getting better. :)

That only works for USPS deliveries, of course. Amazon also uses their own delivery service and UPS (and, rarely, some smaller services). You can track your orders through the Orders link at Amazon.

Understood. My issues are definitely related to USPS. My mailbox is on the main road, but the private drive up to the house is 1/4 mile long. If the package is too large for the mailbox, I suspect a substitute carrier is not willing to bring it up to the house. I get a message from Amazon that he package is delivered, but there is nothing. A couple days later, my regular carrier brings it up to the house. This way, I can at least know the local branch has the package and that it is not lost or stolen.

A package arrived today that I ordered on April 30 From Amazon.

The shipping slip was from UPS.

The Amazon tracking showed it had been delayed due to misrouting to DHL Global in Compton by accident.

They sent it ‘Straight Outta Compton“ to Union City, CA, where it sat several days.

Today it was sitting on my porch with a USPS mailing label.

Entropy is everywhere.

A package arrived today that I ordered on April 30 From Amazon.

The shipping slip was from UPS.

The Amazon tracking showed it had been delayed due to misrouting to DHL Global in Compton by accident.

They sent it ‘Straight Outta Compton“ to Union City, CA, where it sat several days.

Today it was sitting on my porch with a USPS mailing label.

Entropy is everywhere.
And irreversibly total entropy increases. 🙂

Back