Amazon launch on C6-3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
[video]https://www.facebook.com/glen.p.doggett/videos/10154026921897255/[/video]
Amazon.jpg

Amazon launch from on-board 808 keychain camera and on-ground video. Can't get the video to embed, but the link should open it.

That's a good C6-3 rocket. Especially if you have an 808 on board.

the chute has a spill hole, that is why it comes down so fast, that and the added weight of the 808. Fun flier. I have a video with the Crossfire also, that one is a little more squirrely with the 808 on it.

@ GlenP: If you get an Aerotech D10 or D21, That could be a fantastic video!

Agreed! I would upscale the Crossfire before I attached an 808 to the outside of it!

Speaking of Upscales, my club president saw my Crossfire at an event and asked me for the parts drawings. Said something about "Those fin things would look really cool on a 5.5 frame".

Context: He doesn't build small rockets

Speaking of squirrelly flights, putting an 808 on this rocket caused some imbalance. You can see it fishtail its way up.

[youtube]Y9rA2hVPBeM[/youtube]

Not as in unstable squirrely, but it does tend to spin a bit. I made cardstock fairings for the camera to smooth the airflow and mounted it up at the front end of the body tube. here is the Crossfire ISX video. It did not spin too much, but did make a large arc towards the camera side, which was placed away from the spectators. Went beyond the grass field and landed on the far side of the gravel parking lot with no damage. The Jolly Logic Altimeter One registered about 550' with the camera on it, without the camera can exceed 1000' on a C6-5. Guesstimate of the Amazon apogee is probably around 400' with the camera, 600' without. I just thought it would be fun to collect some on-board video from both of the rockets in one of Estes's popular starter sets, the Tandem X. I would not try that with anything less than a C on either one.

https://www.facebook.com/glen.p.doggett/videos/10154027393537255/

I had an idea to keep the rocket from spinning on the chute descent, attach a long shroud line to one fin opposite the camera side with a streamer on the end, run that outside the tube and pack it in above the chute. That would act like a weathervane to keep that fin downwind and the camera upwind while it descends. Might take some trial and error to get the streamer size just right.

Seems like it spun pretty fast on boost but then settled out on coast. Cool to see videos from small rockets.

I sort of custom built these shrouds to fit the body tube and the camera. After a couple of tries settled on a technique that was simple enough. One of these fits a multi-stager which I have not tested it out on yet...

DSC_6686.jpg

DSC_6687.jpg

DSC_6688.jpg

DSC_6689.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

@ GlenP: If you get an Aerotech D10 or D21, That could be a fantastic video!

Speaking of Upscales, my club president saw my Crossfire at an event and asked me for the parts drawings. Said something about "Those fin things would look really cool on a 5.5 frame".

Context: He doesn't build small rockets

I was messing around on Open Rocket with L3 ideas; the fins on a 5.5" version would be enormous!

Back