Amazon Alexa - Dot, Echo or Tap

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have Alexa in your household

• Yes I do

• No I don't

• No, but I am seriously thinking about getting Alexa

• I don't know what you are talking about.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Just curious on how many in this community have Alexa or are thinking about it.

I have one and yes, it's very easy to setup as long as you have wi-fi. I've had it for about a year now, and 90% of my use is for a voice prompted shopping list and timer/alarm. At some point I'll decide on a home automation solution and Alexa will get more use.

I have it. Used mostly for weather, traffic, and to annoy the children- I can start a music playlist remotely when we're out. I'll probably add some lights and automation next year.

My background includes a stint in computer information security. I don't want a network connected device capable of listening in on private household conversations, particularly one that is a cloud-based service. (And no, I don't use Siri either.)

I just ordered an Echo as Christmas gift for my wife. She is excited about using it as voice-responsive Pandora speaker. This works in our house because of a wall-less floorplan on the first floor which will allow it to be used and heard throughout the living space. I'm looking forward to installing smart bulbs in my kids' bedrooms so that I can turn off the light they never seem to remember.

I friend of mine, has bought hard into the smart home concept and uses Alexa to run every light and most small appliances in his house (even a custom design to allow Alexa to flush the toilet). If you are willing/able to commit to the smart home concept completely, the commercials accurately describe the user experience. However, I belief most of will have a slightly less satisfying result.

Not interested in it. If I need the lights on I will get up and throw the switch, or, if I want music I'll turn on the entertainment center. For security we use two dogs and a shotgun.

I got one (Echo) early on. Though it really has shaped up, to me, as a solution in search of a problem. I really do not care for the fact that I cannot choose a custom welcome phrase.

P/S. If you get one and have it near a TV, it can really be entertaining when there is a TV ad for it.

My background includes a stint in computer information security. I don't want a network connected device capable of listening in on private household conversations, particularly one that is a cloud-based service. (And no, I don't use Siri either.)

You know, I thought about that, even though it only retains a few seconds at a time. It's a very short buffer. But even if it were used nefariously....and I've thought about this.....well, honestly some bad guy is gonna spend "maybe" 20 minutes on me and decide "this guys boring...find someone else". I'm not doing anything illegal or discussing such things, so any Fed listening to me will decide very quickly to "scratch this guy off the list".....so to speak.

......P/S. If you get one and have it near a TV, it can really be entertaining when there is a TV ad for it.......

This. Yes, Alexa does activate and respond when you're not asking anything. It's not often, maybe once in two weeks, but something they need to work out.

Latest posts

Back