Amazing what you can find in your closet..

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Silverleaf, Feb 25, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 25, 2003 #1

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

Hello,

I was doing some searching today in my closet, and just came across 3 mint rocket kits. As soon as I saw them, it was deja-vu all over again, as the newspaper covering them was from 1992.

Anyway the first 2 are Estes 25th anniversary editions:

25th Anniversary Starship Enterprise
    D7 Klingon BattleCruiser

The 3rd one has me scratching my head to remember where it came from. It's an MPC Flat Cat pop-glider, everything is there including the instructions, and the box is almost mint - having what looks like a scotch tape tear on the front of the box. It says the design won at the 1967, 68, and 69 US championships and 1969 Yugoslav Championships.

The box says it flys on a A3-2 or B3-3.

Here is a pic to show the cover..

Anyone know much about this kit ??

Take care,

2. Feb 25, 2003 #2

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

By the way, I did find a copy of the plans at Jim Z's Plans site, but beyond that I'm clueless.

3. Feb 25, 2003 #3

jflis

jflis

jflis

I have several of these puppys (still in the cellophane *S*)

It's a sturdy glider, simple to build and can be made competative if you know what you're doing and spend the time with it. The balsa provided (at least in the one that I built) was heavier (harder) than I like for B/G, but results in something that can take a beating.

I found it to be a B/G that boosted very straight and produced nice glides. I don't know about it winning any national or international events. I doubt that it would win by today's standards, even if one were to really trim it out well.

The advantage of a design like this, over most of what you would see in national events is that it is RELIABLE. More often than not I've seen 1st place taken by RELIABLE... :)

4. Feb 26, 2003 #4

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

Silverleaf

Jflis,

Thanks for your take on the glider competitions. I wish mine was still in the sealed box, but ya can't win them all.. lol.

There was a yearly contest sponsored by the best hobby shop ever in the area - Dale's Hobby. He had some great get togethers and amongst the competition was a boost glider, paper gliders, and longest mono-coptor flight. He also did his model building contests in the winter, which I thought was excellent.

I did win that Estes Sandhawk that I spoke of in one of the contests for a suped up 34 Ford Roaster.

Geez, I feel old now..