Amateur rocket with a man aboard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaturnV

Reaction score
Why not? New record height parachute jump. Bubble can not go 60 km away from the earth? And rocket can

I would think because the life safety concerns would drive the cost way outside anything the amateur community could afford. There might also be some serious laws involved.

Two words: Mass fraction

Amature rockets, and even commercial/government rockets, that go anywhere near those altitudes have a very high percentage of their loaded mass in the propellent and nearly all of the rest in the airframe with very little left for payload. When you add the mass of a human and structure to safely support them the mass fraction goes down or the amount of the propellent goes up, a lot. The necessary motor and would be well outside what an amature could manage.

Oh... and of course what H_Rocket said too.

Safety .. so many people die in road accidents. I think 3 flights with a model of a person on board to test acceleration and automation and will be safer than driving. Mass of fuel .. if specific impulse engine is at least 200 seconds 300-400 kg of fuel must reach . Of course, this is not a project for one person.
P.S. Somehow it sounds crazy that record parachute jump was made by balloon. Offensive rockets.

Last edited:
Too bad Mythbusters is over... sounds like a natural upgrade of the "Chinese rocket chair".

I think a Polecat Thunder Storm with a high thrust, low impulse motor might do the trick. Why go so high? I'd love to go up in one to about 500', and then come back to earth on a big chute. I think that would be wild.

Low may balloon, this is rocket, it can higher than bubble not because they are easy, but because they are hard :)

Safety .. so many people die in road accidents. I think 3 flights with a model of a person on board to test acceleration and automation and will be safer than driving. Mass of fuel .. if specific impulse engine is at least 200 seconds 300-400 kg of fuel must reach . Of course, this is not a project for one person.
P.S. Somehow it sounds crazy that record parachute jump was made by balloon. Offensive rockets.

So, are you volunteering to go up in it?

JR

Maybe the Danish government will give a waiver for a manned amateur rocket activity.

I'm pretty sure the FAA won't...nor will OSHA, or any other number of US government agencies....

So, are you volunteering to go up in it?

JR
Of course. But weigh 95 kg or 210 lb. This will double and triple the fuel compared to some 50 kg. At least three test flights without problems not think it would be more dangerous than driving.I'm quite ready to be Neil Armstrong and Wernher von Braun both in amateur rocketry. Because I will participate in the construction of rocket, not only in jumping with a parachute :)This will be a small parachute jump but a big jump in amateur rocketry!

Last edited:
There is a legal distinction between "manned" and "unmanned", is there not. And both NAR and Tripoli prohibit "live payloads". (Yesterday, I disposed of a 10 inch Norway Rat in my shop with a Victor Rat Trap who would have made a fine payload had it not returned for a second helping of cheese!)

There is a legal distinction between "manned" and "unmanned"!)
Calm and therefore I think. We make and test rocket. Flight will be outside the jurisdiction of these humane organizations :)And no bolts on the rocket. Only welds while the Saturn V.The name of the rocket -Saturn XV. But the rocket can visually quite not like Saturn V. However, we will fly not to the moon :)

Last edited:
I would think just getting a dummy up to a few thousand feet wouldn't be too difficult. 60K, now that's a different matter...

I think we may have found a new challenge for Wayco, though. :)

he said "Km"

I would think just getting a dummy up to a few thousand feet wouldn't be too difficult. 60K, now that's a different matter...

:)
You do not understand. The record for the highest parachute jump is 42K but no feet - meters. 60k meters are 180k feet :) Can you imagine the man hung two hours as pants hooked on the balloon until it reaches altitude. Rocket that would be 3-4 minutes max.

After this flight no one will set a record with a balloon - only with rockets :) What now - the balloons fly higher than the rockets. Easier to manufacture, safer. Amateur rocket just more smoke and hissing:) I go to sleep watching the Apollo missions and lunar machines:)

You do not understand. The record for the highest parachute jump is 42K but no feet - meters. 60k meters are 180k feet :) Can you imagine the man hung two hours as pants hooked on the balloon until it reaches altitude. Rocket that would be 3-4 minutes max.

Jumping from 180,000' would be a neat trick... you'd need a pressure suit and some really big cujones.

I think a Polecat Thunder Storm with a high thrust, low impulse motor might do the trick. Why go so high? I'd love to go up in one to about 500', and then come back to earth on a big chute. I think that would be wild.
Pretty sure the full scale V2 at Thunda down under would have been capable of this. It had the room and enough power to at least lift a child if not small adult. Would do better if a rocket was actually designed for this purpose.

Jumping from 180,000' would be a neat trick... you'd need a pressure suit and some really big cujones.
Of course, you like Space country will not be a problem finding a space suit :) These where jump from a balloon where suits are?

Pretty sure the full scale V2 at Thunda down under would have been capable of this. It had the room and enough power to at least lift a child if not small adult. Would do better if a rocket was actually designed for this purpose.

V2 is too powerful, it will reach almost to the International Space Station but with a difference in speed of eight kilometers per second :) Rocket solid fuel based on ammonium perchlorate оr something with a specific impulse of 200 seconds the engine around :) Fully doable for amateurs.Why not sugar and potassium nitrate? Only a few tons:) Мust be constructed machine pouring huge grains not something especially complicated:)My experience shows that pure potassium nitrate one engine if it works once works reliably as many times as you want. So the price of several tons of potassium nbitrat and sugar can jump every week :) Of course fee so we can get our money back for the rockeт:)

Last edited:
V2 is too powerful, it will reach almost to the International Space Station but with a difference in speed of eight kilometers per second :) Rocket solid fuel based on ammonium perchlorate оr something with a specific impulse of 200 seconds the engine around :) Fully doable for amateurs.Why not sugar and potassium nitrate? Only a few tons:) Мust be constructed machine pouring huge grains not something especially complicated:)My experience shows that pure potassium nitrate one engine if it works once works reliably as many times as you want. So the price of several tons of potassium nbitrat and sugar can jump every week :) Of course fee so we can get our money back for the rockeт:)

Except this one was a HPR and went to 700 feet, it even had a platform in the NC to lie down.

Of course, you like Space country will not be a problem finding a space suit :) These where jump from a balloon where suits are?

The rebull jump resulted in the guy blacking out for a while. Need to add some thrusters to the suit I think.

Sooner or later it will be done because balloons can not fly higher than the rockets. Moreover, man has to climb 2-3 hours a balloon, with rocket only 3-4 minutes.With one-stage rocket. Because there will not be thrust control (though we're amateurs). With two-stage can go wrong thing and fly horizontally and will not reach altitude. Moreover off in Alabama and lands in Oklahoma :)

Back