Am I missing something? Alt. 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier (it didn't contain Jolly Logic or AltimeterThree)...

There's an update coming for the app. Here are a couple of screens from it. The Apple version will be submitted this week, the Android next week.

Note that it's "Chute Release" aware as well.

That looks very nice, and kudos for having a properly charged phone when you took your screenshots. :)

It's slightly sideways to this thread, but since the issue did come up I have a question about the app: do you store the flight records anywhere but on the phone itself? If not perhaps you could consider in a future update using CloudKit or Dropbox or something so that the data files are safely kept in a central location, and folks won't have to worry about stuff like reinstalling the app or wiping their phone or stuff like that. Then you could also (possibly, depending on implementation) access a record of flights through the web as well.

John would have to comment, but my suspicion is that most of the measurements it displays are based on the barometer, not the accelerometer (only the G figures come from the accelerometer I think, and maybe some timing like the burn-out time, but not velocity info, etc). If you turn on display of the accelerometer data or email yourself the Excel file you might see something more, though assuming it's exposed to the air after separation I'd think you'd at least be okay from that point on, not sure if it gets confused by not seeing a 'proper' baro ascent however. I guess it might even see ejection as the start of the flight, then see the pressure increase and assume it's already landed. Try your 'chucked it up into the air' trick in a rigid sealed container and I suspect you may not get any data at all (can't think of a good way to break the container seal at 'apogee' to simulate that).

But I'm particularly confused by 'I'm out of range by the time I drop off my flight card'. At least all the launches I've ever been to that's done at the RSO(/LCO) desk, then you go prep your rocket on the pad, then they fly it. I think you really want to be arming the AltimeterThree after the rocket is situated on the rod/rail (I always load the rocket, arm all altimeters, whether just logging or for deployment, then install the ignitor). If you move it too much after the altimeter is armed it could get confused and think it already flew, missing the real launch event later (I had this happen to me once with the A3).

So for me it's always: Attach A3 to rocket, power it up, seal up the rocket. Hand flight card to RSO and head out to pad, load rocket on pad, connect to A3 and set to Record mode, load ignitor, walk away. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's important to quit the A3 app before walking out of range (i.e. hit the home button), I've had several instances of difficulty re-connecting upon recovery, all where just power-cycling the A3 lets it re-connect (no amount of power-cycling the phone, force-quitting the app or trying to manually disconnect/re-connect the BT connection helps), but sometimes the flight data is gone at that point (downloads nothing or downloads something like you describe, many seconds with a max altitude of a few feet), other times a proper download happens after the A3 power-cycle and all is good. But the difficulty I have connecting (iPhone 6s, everything up-to-date) sounds different than what you're running into, my A3 usually has the data, it just can be a pain to get it out sometimes.

Will..... a suggestion about reconnecting, based on flying A3s and controlling them with iPhones since the first field test betas: be patient about reconnecting after a flight. Sometimes it takes quite awhile. Once I started just letting it happen (after tapping "reconnect" on the app screen, sometimes it takes awhile for the altimeter to appear, and once in awhile it takes a couple of tries to get the reconnection to "stick") I haven't lost any data except for one flight two weeks ago where the A3 somehow got turned off during the flight. I suspect it banged against the Chute Release just right to hit the power button.

There is already stuff in place to backup your flights to a server, I just haven't activated it yet. I don't plan on charging anything for it, but I need to make sure it will work well and not cause frustration. Also, it's potentially a fair amount of data (11KB per minute of recording), so I need to be thoughtful about how the feature works. Probably it will be "off" by default (don't want anybody to accuse me of using up their data allowance without permission), and you can elect to cloud each flight or "backup my flights automatically."

But I'm particularly confused by 'I'm out of range by the time I drop off my flight card'.

So for me it's always: Attach A3 to rocket, power it up, seal up the rocket. Hand flight card to RSO and head out to pad, load rocket on pad, connect to A3 and set to Record mode, load ignitor, walk away.

MDRA obviously runs things a bit differently than your club. Process is slightly different. There, it is RSO, get your flight card signed, load rocket on pad, connect to A3 via app, hit record, load igniter, walk up to LCO board, place card on appropriate pad clip, walk away. From B cell to LCO table, I'm out of range.

As I said: I'll give it another go. Just want good descent rate. I opted for this because I'm trying to get trending info in the smaller end of HPR range. I don't want to be flying a bunch of J's for testing--29mm H's will do just fine.

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:
Will..... a suggestion about reconnecting, based on flying A3s and controlling them with iPhones since the first field test betas: be patient about reconnecting after a flight. Sometimes it takes quite awhile.

It definitely isn't a patience thing in my case. I hit connect and it immediately appears in the device listing, I select it and it goes back to the app which says "Connecting..." for a few seconds, then just ends up back at the "Not connected" screen without any indication of errors/etc. I can sit there forever, it's clearly not even trying to connect at that point. I can repeat this process a dozen times (I'm typically a very patient person) with no change to the outcome. But as soon as I turn off the A3 and turn it back on the exact same process works properly, it says Connecting... and quickly goes to Connected and the download starts (except the time when it didn't, it just connected and had no data to download, but it seems that time when I went to power-off the A3 it went straight from it's recording count-up timer to powering-off, more recently the first time I hit the button I actually saw a "Stop" message on the A3, and had to hit the button a second time to power it down, so I guess that time it saved the active flight while the other time it just discarded it without saving (only thing I can think of is maybe I instinctively double-tapped the button and short-circuited the stop phase or something).

MDRA obviously runs things a bit differently than your club. Process is slightly different. There, it is RSO, get your flight card signed, load rocket on pad, connect to A3 via app, hit record, load igniter, walk up to LCO board, place card on appropriate pad clip, walk away. From B cell to LCO table, I'm out of range.

Interesting. I've flown with 4 different clubs (LUNAR, TCC, AeroPac and now ROC), all that work the same way. They all use the card for the pad assignment, so you find out what pad you've been assigned after they've already clipped your flight card to the board, or put your card in the appropriate slot for the pad, etc. I guess MDRA lets you choose the pad? But anyway my concern was with "arming" the A3 before motion had stopped (before loading the rocket onto the pad), and clearly that's not the case.

Has anyone e recieved an update for iPhone yet? I'm on android so I was was wondering about the other half....?

I downloaded the update, but haven't done any flying with it...

Later!

--Coop

I don't have a computer with excel, only a smart phone and no wifi. If I wanted to chart the provided data from A2 (which is sweet) I would have for each flight.
Right now it doesn't let me share flights either. I guess an update is needed.
In my opinion A2 served better data. Wish A3 EASILY provided the same data points within the graph. Up until now I don't see it unless I have to manually do it.
For 30 bucks less, no graph and no manual calculations for more data.
I may be returning it for the A2 or something in missile works.

If you are interested in an A2 swap, I might be too, and reasonably close to you.

Android update is in process. I've been busy with family and production stuff since the Fourth, and I'm digging out.

Here is what the Info page and Chart page will look like. Like AltimeterTwo on steroids. Once the update is pushed, you'll see all of this for your existing flights, too.

18xIk+

1dsA9+

The update comes with other enhancements as well, including a new Flight Log that shows a spreadsheet of the AltimeterTwo-style data for all of your flights in one place so you can compare them.

...and again that will be a log of all the fights whose data is currently on your phone or tablet. It was quite nice, in my case, to get that info retroactively for 80+ flights.

I find it interesting that this entire thread is in the 'recovery' forum. Probably would have gained more visibility, sooner, in the electronics section. Especially since this isn't even a recovery altimeter... i didn't see the link between the OP and the thread location... just wandered into it.

I find it interesting that this entire thread is in the 'recovery' forum. Probably would have gained more visibility, sooner, in the electronics section. Especially since this isn't even a recovery altimeter... i didn't see the link between the OP and the thread location... just wandered into it.

For whatever reason my mind was thinking an altimeter to be part of recovery. Probably because I was dreaming of a dual deploy and jumbled it all together. Before this thread I had never paid any mind or thought to the electronics section.
My apologies.

The update comes with other enhancements as well, including a new Flight Log that shows a spreadsheet of the AltimeterTwo-style data for all of your flights in one place so you can compare them.

Patiently waiting. Pretty stoked to get chute release for L2 when the day comes. Certainly keeping JL DD in mind for next year also.
Your update is going to set altimeter three off the charts bar none in my mind.

For whatever reason my mind was thinking an altimeter to be part of recovery. Probably because I was dreaming of a dual deploy and jumbled it all together. Before this thread I had never paid any mind or thought to the electronics section.
My apologies.

Funny how that works, lol. Before this thread, I never paid any attention to the recovery section. :)

No need to apologize, just noting that you might get more / quicker visibility in the electronics section in the future.

Android update is available now.

YESSSSSSSSSS!

WoW! The update is so AWESOME! Everything works very well with lots of great data. Just in time for a cert flight next weekend! Can't thank you enough.

Last edited:
I did get good data off of the JL 3 this past weekend, logging three flights. It's a nice little app, now that I've seen it work as intended, and lets one more accurately sim their rocket by adding measurements to the flights where they would otherwise be lacking --the small end of HPR and below. Good for rockets relying on motor ejection and delay cutting for deployment.

I noticed, however, that the speed --particularly during descent-- seems to have a resolution of 1 foot/sec. Is there a way to get this to read more precisely by altering the settings?

Later!

--Coop

I noticed, however, that the speed --particularly during descent-- seems to have a resolution of 1 foot/sec. Is there a way to get this to read more precisely by altering the settings?
--Coop

No setting, but I suppose the app could add a decimal place, though rockets do bounce around a lot in the wind.

You could aways grab any two altitude values (using the crosshairs on the interactive graph, just hold down your finger and it will appear) and do the math to whatever precision you need. You'll notice that it depends on which two points you pick, and the value will bounce around a bit. Thus the presented precision.

I wanted to, publicly, say here that my initial frustrations and difficulties with the Jolly Logic Altimeter Three have been completely resolved, and if I do not recover the one currently suspended above the Maryland soil, I'll be purchasing another.

Long story short... I launched, and was overly conservative on the expectations of my parachute. I expected a descent rate around 20 FPS; I got somewhere around 15. The slower rate permitted more drift... and more drift led the rocket to rest in the trees of Mordor. By standing with arm outstretched, on tiptoes, after multiple attempts, I was finally able to download, via bluetooth, the Jolly Logic data without being able to recover the rocket.

I was wrong.... it's a fantastic thing, to be able to get the data without being able to recover the rocket. Of course, I want that thing back... and when I get it back, I'm going to fly it until the centering rings wear out.

(screenshot below)

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back