Always Ready Rocketry releases exciting new aiframe material!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejma0415

Reaction score
Always Ready Rocketry Announces New Airframe Material

3/13/09 Tampa, FL

In conjunction with Phenix Tube, ARR is proud to announce Blue Tube, a new airframe material borne from the most unusual source, TANK AMMUNITION! Highly abrasion resistant, with massive acceleration potential for a spiral wound product. Blue Tube is able to withstand g-forces that exceed most anything any high power rocket flight can present to it. No glassing necessary, no huge gaps to fill, no prepping, no sanding, no nothing, and most of all, compatible with existing components! If you buy Blue Tube for your next project, you get far more abrasion resistance, zero cracking, zero brittleness, far more strength than partially cured phenolic, and far more radial strength than all three!

Blue Tube, What’s YOUR rocket made of?

www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com
[email protected]

Sounds interesting. Ok, I'm in.

One BTP-3 Item# 3 Inch Blue Phenix should be winging it's way to me. :D

Anything special/difficult I should know?

Randy is an excellent person to do business with. I ordered the new 24/60 motor and a pack of F35-5W reloads from him.

It took some extra time to receive his stock as he is a new AT dealer but that's not his fault at all.

He currently sells the 24/60 hardware for a whopping $39.90 compared to AT's MSRP of $75.

Well I haven't had much luck lately when dealing with actual people, but what the hey I'll give him a shot. I liked the look of the Blue Phenix and that material intrigued me.

I fear that most likely I've bitten off more than I can chew, but we shall see. :eek:

Considering I just crashed my 3" workhorse rocket and need to rebuild, I think I'll give it a try.

Just a few questions.

Are the dimensions the same as other typical tubing. IE do regular e-bays fit? tail/nose cones fit? inside and out?

How well does it take paint?

The price sure seems right!

Considering I just crashed my 3" workhorse rocket and need to rebuild, I think I'll give it a try.

Just a few questions.

Are the dimensions the same as other typical tubing. IE do regular e-bays fit? tail/nose cones fit? inside and out?

How well does it take paint?

The price sure seems right!

I've seen samples of the Blue Tube. So I will try and describe it. It is a paper product, so glue and paint should adhere very well. There is almost no seam, so it should not require the seams filled. As far as sizes go, it is being custom manufactured in standard airframe sizes, so standard nosecones, couplers, and centering rings should be compatible.

It is also very strong, I saw Randy stand on the 3" sample with no damage at all, not even a crease.

Looks interesting. I might have to order some for my next build. Price is a little lower than my current favorite, GLR Dyna-Wind.

Finally got my Blue Phenix. Yay. :)

But I'm guessing the cool Blue Phenix decals shown on the picture aren't included? :mad:

Yo Stickershock, do you have any made-up by chance?

I built my first Blue Tube rocket last weekend. This stuff is tougher than it looks! It laughs at my hobby knife (new blade) and mocks it mercilessly. Even the razor saw has a tough time getting through it. Attempting to crush or otherwise mangle a scrap peice left me tired. I think it was mocking me too.

I wanted something tougher than cardboard and phenolic. ARR certainly delivered with Blue Tube. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to fly it yet. I will report again after some flights. So far, I'm VERY impressed.

I flew mine this past weekend. Rock solid!! First flight was on an H180W . . . it is ready for MUCH more. Next flight will be with the extended airframe, e-bay, and an I engine.

Finally got my Blue Phenix. Yay. :)

But I'm guessing the cool Blue Phenix decals shown on the picture aren't included? :mad:

Yo Stickershock, do you have any made-up by chance?

No, but its still early. I'll see what I can do,

I order some blue tube, it should be at my house today. ARR is tops! cant wait to start fighting with it.

Mark

Well fed ex says monday for arrival..... bummer I was excited.

hows this for a decal? All's I need is an OK from Randall at ARR and I will start making them for anyone who needs them!

This is a preview right from my cutter program.

phenix.jpg

hows this for a decal? All's I need is an OK from Randall at ARR and I will start making them for anyone who needs them!

The only problem is if you paint it blue, then a decal with a lot of white background doesn't work so well. Or, can you make it clear with just the letters and logo colored?

After discussing options with Randy I ended up using the Blue Tube logo on mine. The black Phenix logo on the fins works great with the white background.

Attachments

• BluePhenix 24 Blue Tube_sml.jpg
    BluePhenix 24 Blue Tube_sml.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
The only problem is if you paint it blue, then a decal with a lot of white background doesn't work so well. Or, can you make it clear with just the letters and logo colored?

After discussing options with Randy I ended up using the Blue Tube logo on mine. The black Phenix logo on the fins works great with the white background.

Yeah that looks good but I hate to think I paid $100 to be an advertisement. :eyepop:

Yeah that looks good but I hate to think I paid $100 to be an advertisement. :eyepop:

Well . . . . strickly speaking, the Phenix logo is an advertisement for the company that manufactures the Blue Tube.

In the end, if you like the look, that's all that matters. IMHO
:cool:

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I just got off the phone w/ Ken from Performance Hobbies and he indicated of a humorous event during the Saturn V launch at MDRA. The back story is that people have been having lots of fun trying to trash this product by jumping on it, slamming it against their launch trailer, having it suspend them between two chairs while sitting in middle (and it holds them up). This one loyal customer (a big guy, by the way) of Ken's comes up to him takes a piece of 2.6 airframe over his head like a sword and smashes it as hard as he could along the edge of Ken's truck (?!?) The airframe hit the hard edge and broke off at the pressure point. Now up to this point all the banging has been lateral and fairly evenly applied across the surface and Blue Tube has shined like the sun, and I can say that I'm not surprised that it broke. If it had been phenolic, he may have gotten shards of phenolic in his eyes from the ensuing shatter.

I never said it was indestructable. :)

However, that being said, carbon fiber would have broken too. You give anything a hard edge like that and the results are going to be messy.

I'm so utterly pleased with everyone's positive feedback and comments. I cannot wait for people to start finishing their rockets with this and letting them tear a hole in the sky.

I will be releasing a complete, advanced quasi-minimum diameter extreme performance kit soon...... (without the ridiculous lead time either)..

FG & CF.. Beware.. The Predator-10k is coming to get you...

Randy :)

www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com

I wil say it was fun smaking that tube around at Kens stuff :p Someone would walk up and ask what it was and he would tell them to smack it on the tail gate. Then they would have that "something isn't right" look and do it again :cheers:

Its great stuff!

Ben

Back