Quantcast

AltusMetrum Flashing EasyMini firmware on a blank CPU

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

MaxRuben

Reaction score
I am trying to repair a friends EasyMini V2.0 board. After some investigation I have found that the LDO was broken and that it probably has put out the battery voltage to the CPU (instead of 3.3V) so that this is also destroyed. I replaced the LDO and the CPU and hoped that I could upload the firmware with the function "Flash Image" in the AltOS application since this ST microcontrollers has a built in USB bootloader. But the AltOS does not find the board.
I can connect to the CPU over the USB connector with ST programming software (STM32CubeProgrammer and others) and also download the "easymini-v2.0-1.9.5.ihx" to the CPU after renamed it to a .hex file (ST software does not like the .ihx file extension). However this doesn't work, sometimes I can get it to run the downloaded application (it starts to beep) but I can never get it to start after a reset. The board shows up as "STM32 BOOTLOADER" USB device in Windows Device Manager.

Is the AltOS software supposed to find the CPU and be able to download the firmware to an EasyMini with a blank CPU?
Any other suggestions on how to get the firmware downloaded to the CPU correctly?

Best regards / Ruben

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have you pinged Keith and Bdale at Altus Metrum? They are very helpful. You can do it through their email newsletter too.

MaxRuben

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Have sent the question directly to Altus Metrum.

BR / Ruben

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Altus newb, but just performed the reflash of a timer due to the recent updated. Scared as heck since the last thing that I 'flashed' was the bios of my laptop to make it Win10 compatible....and it bricked.

Check out section C.1.1 of the manual, Recovering From Self Flashing Failure. Maybe that might work?

MaxRuben

Reaction score
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be working for a board with a removed and resoldered, empty microcontroller. The AltOS application won't find it even if I connect the mentioned pins.

BR/ Ruben

MaxRuben

Reaction score
I posted a message on the AltusMetrum Contact Forum and Keith quickly responded with help that could get this resolved. It turns out that the internal DFU USB bootloader that exists in a blank STM32 CPU isn't the only thing that is needed to reflash the board with the AltOS application.

Fast and excellent support from Keith at Altus Metrum!

BR / Ruben