Altus Metrum - very bad experience

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
It hurts to write this. Altus Metrum products played a big part in my L1, L2, and L3 certification flights and my HPR hobby in general, and before this I always had great service and support from Keith Packard and Bdale Gardee. But something has happened. I sent one of my TeleGPS trackers for repair well over a year ago, they never returned it, and now they are just ignoring my email inquiries.

Bdale opened an RMA for my TeleGPS in July 2021 and I sent it to him the same day. He did warn me that he was "behind on processing repairs, but I'm working to get caught up, and will get to yours as quickly as I can after it arrives." In November 2021, I received notice that my tracker had been received and "Placed in repair queue." That was the last I have heard from Bdale, who did not respond to later inquiries. I then tried asking Keith, who said in May 2022, "I fear his RMA queue isn't getting shorter very fast. I'll enquire." By October, still no word, so I told them to please just return the TeleGPS. No reply at all from either Bdale or Keith.

Anyone know what is going on?

Like Steve, I know both Keith and Bdale personally. I do know that they are in the process of generating new versions of their products to address component availability issues.
I'm sure that they will address the issue as soon and their time and schedule permits.

@Johnly There was no mention of component availability issues, just that they were behind on repair work. If there is an issue, I don't understand why they would ignore my emails and my simple request to just return the tracker. I've been waiting 16 months. Just wish I knew what is going on, I know these are not bad people.

I can't imagine trying to field repairs for niche, low-margin products with today's electronics supply restrictions & other issues. With the industry-wide EOL/supply issues & mandatory redesigns to keep the doors open, I'm surprised anyone is still in business. I know AM has been excellent where they can, but I can't speak for your issues. For the hobby-specific companies we all purchase from, I know things are terribly tough.

thanks for posting this. now I am glad I did not RMA my TeleMega, it would be lost forever!!

In my situation, Bdale didn't understand why the Windows version of AltosUI could not configure it, and there is no logging or debug messages, it just fails silently. I was able to configure it with altosui running on linux mint. They released version 1.9.12 which for some reason now works on Win10. bleah.

I'll post the extreme details in another thread. But here, I'll just say the hardware design and construction looks good, but the software is a steaming pile, disaster of epic proportions. My honest evaluation as a software engineer.

FWIW, I just emailed Bdale and got a prompt reply at [email protected].

Steve
That's the same email address to which I've been writing. I think he's just ignoring me.

If anyone who is friendly with Bdale or Keith feels like asking them what the issue is, I'd appreciate a DM if you find out anything.

No hard feelings if they would just return my broken tracker.

Last edited:
That's the same email address to which I've been writing. I think he's just ignoring me.

If anyone who is friendly with Bdale or Keith feels like asking them what the issue is, I'd appreciate a DM if you find out anything.

Not sure if this is happening or not, but I can say *for fact* that depending on who is hosting email on both ends of the transaction, it is absolutely possible for server side spam policies to prevent email from getting to the end user - not just their inbox, but to the AT ALL. Not in junk, not in spam, just simply gone forever.

I lost some business, as a few customers used outlook.com to host their company email and Microsoft determined my shared host was blacklisted, so my emails never got to them, even if responding to their RFQ. I decided to switch my business email to a Microsoft hosted solution and now people who are hosted by servers Microsoft has blacklisted don't get to me. . . lose-lose. The worst part is that this changes daily, so sometimes you can get a conversation going and then the server gets blacklisted and the conversation stops.

Zero clue if that's what has happened here, but people on a budget sometimes use shared hosting for their website and email and have no clue something changed somewhere else and now the conversation stops.

It seems that free gmail accounts and Microsoft accounts do talk reliably, but if you want to have your own business domain, its not a free account anymore.

I hope this isn't too much of a sideline. Either way I hope you get your stuff back and it is repaired and things can move forward for both you and the company.

Sandy.

On the matter of spam filters, I got automatically removed from the altusmetrum list back in June:

Your subscription has been disabled on the [email protected] mailing list
because it has received a number of bounces indicating that there may
be a problem delivering messages to [myaddress]@gmail.com. You may want to
check with your mail administrator for more help.

If you have any questions or problems, you can contact the mailing
list owner at

[email protected]

Prior to that, there was always a significant percentage of emails from the list that were ending up in my spam folder. I informed Bdale and received his response, so not all emails are getting blocked.

Reinhard

Hi all. Neither Keith nor I have time to follow TRF routinely. My thanks to friends who let me know about this thread so I can follow-up.

There is no single "thing that has gone wrong". We are an EXTREMELY small company, each doing our bits part-time. Because Keith's current $dayjob is intensely demanding, on many days "it's just me" doing .. well .. nearly everything. And the last two years have been extraordinarily challenging for several reasons.

I suspect most of you have already heard that we're having to completely re-design existing products just to be able to make more with parts we can actually buy today. Lots of long days and longer nights, hundreds of hours spent searching for available parts, hundreds more trying to get firmware working on new processor chips and to support different sensors.

Less widely known but of at least equal impact to ME have also been deaths and medical challenges both major and minor in the family, and the resulting need to focus on things other than Altus Metrum, and which has also had an effect on my motivation level some days.

I say all that by way of explanation, not as an "excuse".

I apologize for not always replying instantly to emails. I'm pleased to report I'm now down to only 4162 unread messages in my inbox, which is the least that number has been in months. We do suffer as everyone does from the occasional disappearance of some inbound or outbound email due to spam filtering or whatever, but that's less of a problem overall than me just not having enough time to keep up with the email arrival rate on most days. And when I do read an email but don't have an immediate answer, it can sometimes get "set aside" a lot longer than I'm proud of before I get back to it.

I DEEPLY apologize for having things in my repair queue for as much as years sometimes. With very rare exception, I try to never give a specific expectation of completion date for repairs, because they do compete for my attention with "all the other things" .. and repairing boards isn't my favorite activity. There have also been unfortunate incidents where folks handed me a board in person at a launch that got "lost in the shuffle" if I didn't have the ability to get into my ticket tracking system and open an RMA immediately. If you've gotten a 'received' state change email for an item you've sent me on an RMA, I'm highly confident it's physically safe and in my RMA queue waiting for me to attend to it.

Regarding cls' comments about our software. Our code is 100% open source, and we build the ground station applications from a single source tree. Supporting Windows users has been a major challenge for us. Linux and MacOS are pretty easy, but it seems every Windows system works slightly differently due to hardware manufacturers adding their own "value added" software that modifies fundamental OS behavior, Microsoft expecting hardware manufacturers to provide and maintain device drivers, and the plethora of different anti-virus programs that each restrict usage of the system in different ways. Years ago, we started signing the driver .inf file we ship, that merely tells Windows to use the existing USB serial emulation driver to talk to our products, and that helped a lot. But the number of customers having trouble just kept going up. So, starting with 1.9.12, we spent the money to buy a crypto certificate so that we can now sign our installers, and one of our customers submitted the signed installer to Microsoft to help us cross over the threshold from "unknown" to "known" application vendor. I have been startled and amazed at how many "Windows problems" got "fixed" by this, which suggests to me that some percentage of the problems on Windows might be a lot less about whether our code works than about whether some random anti-virus tool trusts our code?

If, knowing that, anyone still thinks our code is a "disaster of epic proportions", please remember that it's all open source, and patches that make things better are always welcome!

Regarding the [email protected] mailing list. After years of running happily on mailman, we made the mistake of being convinced to transition to the newer mailman3. What a complete disaster. After weeks of things not working well, I *think* the list operation is now relatively stable again. If anyone was treated poorly during the transition, please go to https://lists.gag.com/mailman3 and see if you can resolve the problem yourself. If not, send me email at [email protected] describing the problem and I'll do what I can to help!

If I'm actually able to catch up on orders today, I promise to sit down this afternoon and see if I can't plow through some more of the RMA queue.

Thanks to everyone for your interest in our products, and concern about what's what at Altus Metrum.

Last edited:
Bdale emailed me today. He says he looked at my TeleGPS today but no joy, it is unrepairable. Many thanks to all.

I would just be happy if they never sold a MicroPeak again. POS.

chad
This is probably worthy of a separate thread, but what didn't you like about it? We've sold thousands of them, and most of the feedback I've gotten was positive .. so I'm genuinely curious.

My honest evaluation as a software engineer.

As a fellow software engineer, I'm sure you've noticed that their stuff is all open source. I'm sure pull requests are welcome (or at the very least, you can improve your own software and use it).

After using Altus products pretty much exclusively in my rockets for 5 years and recommending to others to use, I am moving away from Altus.

Reason: None response from vendor involving lost multiple units sent in.

Update: After a very courteous email, Keith and Bdale checked all my units and are returning them repaired at no charge. Yes, they made it better than right.

Last edited:
Back