AltOS 1.6.5 - important fix for TeleMetrum v2.0 and TeleMega

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithp

Reaction score
Altus Metrum releases AltOS 1.6.5
AltOS fixes:
  • Fix hardware SPI driver on TeleMetrum v2.0, TeleMega v1.0 and TeleMega v2.0 where devices were observed to stop logging data and transmitting telemetry in flight. All TeleMega v1.0, v2.0 and TeleMetrum v2.0 users should update their flight firmware.
AltosUI fixes:
  • Deliver firmware for TeleMega v2.0 and TeleBT v3.0 with Windows package.
Download this new release from https://altusmetrum.org/AltOS/releases/1.6.5.html
Find more information on all Altus Metrum products at https://altusmetrum.org

Hi Keith,

I own two TeleGPS', the TeleDongle and the TeleBT. I use a Mac for rocketry and have an Android for use with my TeleBT. First off thanks for your continued support on these awesome products.

Currently I have the apps AltosUI 1.6.1 and TeleGPS 1.6.1 installed on my Mac. I am a bit confused if the update you posted above will do anything for me as it the description suggests a firmware update only if you run it on a Windows system?

Also am I correct in that the TeleGPS application is basically a dumbed down version of the AlosUI and if so is there any reason I should ever use the AltosUI application with the TeleGPS, such as playback or a live flight, programming etc.? Keep in mind I am very likely to pickup the TeleMetrum at some point down the road.

On a related note, would collapsing the applications into one for all products, not yield some efficiency from a development and support perspective?

Currently I have the apps AltosUI 1.6.1 and TeleGPS 1.6.1 installed on my Mac. I am a bit confused if the update you posted above will do anything for me as it the description suggests a firmware update only if you run it on a Windows system?

Also am I correct in that the TeleGPS application is basically a dumbed down version of the AlosUI and if so is there any reason I should ever use the AltosUI application with the TeleGPS, such as playback or a live flight, programming etc.? Keep in mind I am very likely to pickup the TeleMetrum at some point down the road.

On a related note, would collapsing the applications into one for all products, not yield some efficiency from a development and support perspective?

The 1.6.5 firmware update only affects TeleMetrum v2.0 and both TeleMega versions. It would be necessary even for you, if you had one of those boards. There are firmware updates since 1.6.1 for TeleBT which you will want to apply, so updating to 1.6.5 makes good sense. There are release notes for each version which mention the boards which are affected, so you can read through those to see when it makes sense to update.

The TeleGPS application takes pieces of the AltosUI application and present them without the rocket-centric bits. Because it re-uses AltosUI code, the effort necessary to build and distribute it is fairly minor. In effect, they are two different wrappers around the same code, so we already gain the development and support benefits from sharing the code while still providing a lighter weight interface, especially for people not using TeleGPS in rockets.

The 1.6.5 firmware update only affects TeleMetrum v2.0 and both TeleMega versions. It would be necessary even for you, if you had one of those boards. There are firmware updates since 1.6.1 for TeleBT which you will want to apply, so updating to 1.6.5 makes good sense. There are release notes for each version which mention the boards which are affected, so you can read through those to see when it makes sense to update.

The TeleGPS application takes pieces of the AltosUI application and present them without the rocket-centric bits. Because it re-uses AltosUI code, the effort necessary to build and distribute it is fairly minor. In effect, they are two different wrappers around the same code, so we already gain the development and support benefits from sharing the code while still providing a lighter weight interface, especially for people not using TeleGPS in rockets.

Thanks for the info Keith. Makes sense on the application development when you put it into perspective. I also received your PM and I will follow up with you on the weekend.

Thanks again for the support.

Back