AltOS 1.3.2 - "Load Maps" not working

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RU-Rocket

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having problems with loading maps on the AltOS to use with the TeleMetrum altimeter. I've tried on both windows 7 and 8.1 with the same result, seems like the program doesn't respond when I click the button "Load Maps". With the task manager open I see the memory usage from the AltOS program shoot up from ~35mb to ~270mb when the button is clicked though.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on? Not finding any information on a problem like this on the AltusMetrum site or the forums.

Java is up to date, everything else seems to be working. TeleDongle and Telemetrum respond well, I'm able to configure and monitor everything.

Hello,

I've been having problems with loading maps on the AltOS to use with the TeleMetrum altimeter. I've tried on both windows 7 and 8.1 with the same result, seems like the program doesn't respond when I click the button "Load Maps". With the task manager open I see the memory usage from the AltOS program shoot up from ~35mb to ~270mb when the button is clicked though.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on? Not finding any information on a problem like this on the AltusMetrum site or the forums.

Java is up to date, everything else seems to be working. TeleDongle and Telemetrum respond well, I'm able to configure and monitor everything.

I've had a couple of people mention this, but I don't have any definitive answer yet as no-one has let me know if they managed to fix it. We had this problem on MacOS a while ago and fixed that by changing the java heap size for our application, but I haven't seen this on Windows myself. In any case, there are a number of howtos on the net which mention how to increase the amount of memory for java on windows; a quick google shows this page, for instance: https://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Java-Memory-in-Windows-7

Please let me know if this helps and I'll stick an answer on our web site!

Increasing the memory amount did not help.

With the 1.3.0 version I get the java map window up but when loading up a known site only white google tiles are imported.

1.3.1 and 1.3.2 give no result as mentioned in the first post.

2 things that I can think of, might this have anything to do with java access issues having to connect to google maps via internet?

When I right-click the program and run as admin 'Error: Unable to access jarfile altosui-fat.jar' comes up on both computers

Increasing the memory amount did not help.

With the 1.3.0 version I get the java map window up but when loading up a known site only white google tiles are imported.

1.3.1 and 1.3.2 give no result as mentioned in the first post.

2 things that I can think of, might this have anything to do with java access issues having to connect to google maps via internet?

When I right-click the program and run as admin 'Error: Unable to access jarfile altosui-fat.jar' comes up on both computers

I wonder if there are any useful error messages being produced. You should be able to run this from a command prompt, which may capture some error messages. To do that, start the Command Prompt program, and type:

cd "\Program Files (x86)\AltusMetrum"
java -jar altosui-fat.jar

I wonder if there are any useful error messages being produced. You should be able to run this from a command prompt, which may capture some error messages. To do that, start the Command Prompt program, and type:

cd "\Program Files (x86)\AltusMetrum"
java -jar altosui-fat.jar

Same problem here, Keith. Your error message idea doesn't work for me; Command Prompt reports it doesn't know what "java" is. I guess there's an environment variable not set up properly. Oddly, I had no trouble when I did it last week on a different Win8.1 laptop, where it still as of this moment works fine. But on a different laptop (a MS Surface Pro tablet in which I just set the program up today), load maps does not work. I just installed today the newest builds of Java and (v7 update 55) and when Load Maps didn't work I increased Java's memory footprint to 2GB, but it did not help. Weird. Maybe something to do with permission to write files to disk?

Another clue: on the machine that DOES download maps, your idea to run java through a command prompt works fine, and on the machine that won't download maps, java in a command prompt does not work.

Another clue: on the machine that DOES download maps, your idea to run java through a command prompt works fine, and on the machine that won't download maps, java in a command prompt does not work.

Thanks for the help; now all I have to do is locate machines that work like this. Finding machines running Windows 8 of any form is really hard; most people I know that have Windows of any form are sticking with Windows 7...

I understand why. I would stay on Win7 also, if not for the fact that my company develops hardware devices whose software is sold on the Win8 and Apple stores. Currently neither of my machines will accept the Win8.1 update just rolled out (8.1 installed fine, but there is a separate update to 8.1), and until I can get that sussed no new updates will install on either machine. One is 2 months old, the other 7 months, and given the many email complaints about this I can see I'm not alone. I would have thought the complete re-write of the OS that Win8 is would simplify these problems, but it has brought new ones unrelated to the ridiculous interface that was also adopted.

I had this problem too. If I remember correctly, I deleted one of the two versions of Java that I had inadvertently loaded unto my windows 7 machine and the problem went away. Keith gets the credit for this; He had me look for that.

I had this problem too. If I remember correctly, I deleted one of the two versions of Java that I had inadvertently loaded unto my windows 7 machine and the problem went away. Keith gets the credit for this; He had me look for that.

Do you happen to remember which version worked and which didn't? There are lots of people still seeing problems, and I just can't tell which version to suggest that they try.

Do you happen to remember which version worked and which didn't? There are lots of people still seeing problems, and I just can't tell which version to suggest that they try.

Sorry, but I don't.. All I did was delete the earlier version of the two that were present. I just looked and the version number I'm running is 7.0.0.147 ... if that means anything.

Keith, I can recreate it on my laptop. Here's the exception when I run it from the command line:

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at altosui.AltosSiteMapTile.fillLabel(AltosSiteMapTile.java:93)
        at altosui.AltosSiteMapTile.<init>(AltosSiteMapTile.java:113)
        at altosui.AltosSiteMap.createTile(AltosSiteMap.java:370)
        at altosui.AltosSiteMap.<init>(AltosSiteMap.java:465)
        at altosui.AltosSiteMapPreload.<init>(AltosSiteMapPreload.java:329)
        at altosui.AltosUI.LoadMaps(AltosUI.java:279)
        at altosui.AltosUI$12.actionPerformed(AltosUI.java:192)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)

Adding the -Xmx1000m command line option seems to resolve it.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Keith, I can recreate it on my laptop. Here's the exception when I run it from the command line:

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Adding the -Xmx1000m command line option seems to resolve it.

Thanks, Troj. Sounds like I just need to reduce the amount of memory needed when displaying maps; it could well be that some Windows installations don't allow Java to use enough memory somehow.

Thanks, Troj. Sounds like I just need to reduce the amount of memory needed when displaying maps; it could well be that some Windows installations don't allow Java to use enough memory somehow.

I suspect it's a default heap allocation issue on some versions. Increasing the heap solve the problem without an issue.

-Kevin

I suspect it's a default heap allocation issue on some versions. Increasing the heap solve the problem without an issue.

A couple of people have tried increasing the heap size without any success. I wonder if Windows 8 is limiting Java in some cases.

In any case, I've got a hacked-up test version of AltosUI that uses a *lot* less memory for map viewing. If you want to test on your machine to see if it solves the problem, please send me a private message including your email address and I'll send along the URL. It's not secret or anything, it's just that the patch is sitting atop my current development code, which includes untested firmware updates for all of our altimeters that you absolutely should *not* install on any flight computers.

Back