Altitude of that Carbon-fiber rocket at last ROC...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the altitude reached by the carbon-fiber min-diameter rocket that went up at the last ROC launch?

It launched on a K1100, weighed only a couple lbs (dry), and I saw the team recovering the rocket more than a mile from the launch area when heading home that day. However I haven't heard anything about the altitude it reached, although I do know they had a clearance for 11,000 feet.

Will they be going for the L-Record at Balls? I think the launch on the k1100 at Lucerne was just a test, and they may really be planning to take on the some-what feeble and outdated Tripoli L-record at BALSS, but I don't know. Does anyone know the owner of this rocket, and his intentions?

That was my rocket! Unfortunately my poor Altacc suffered an error and said the rocket went -999999999 feet! :p We think it did about 11,000 though. Don't tell Rick O'Neil that though. I think it's time to get a RDAS.

Originally posted by NewEntity1
Will they be going for the L-Record at Balls? I think the launch on the k1100 at Lucerne was just a test, and they may really be planning to take on the some-what feeble and outdated Tripoli L-record at BALSS, but I don't know. Does anyone know the owner of this rocket, and his intentions?
I can't do BALLS this year because I'll be in school. After I repair the rocket we'll see about that altitude record. Cesaroni just released a new 54mm L motor that I really want to get my hands on. Depending on the waiver they get at LDRS next year I might try it there.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
That was my rocket! Unfortunately my poor Altacc suffered an error and said the rocket went -999999999 feet! :p We think it did about 11,000 though. Don't tell Rick O'Neil that though. I think it's time to get a RDAS.

Try the Ozark Arospace ARTS. It's the bomb.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I can't do BALLS this year because I'll be in school. After I repair the rocket we'll see about that altitude record. Cesaroni just released a new 54mm L motor that I really want to get my hands on. Depending on the waiver they get at LDRS next year I might try it there.

LDRS 24 will probably be 50,000ft. The Host Club has had that waiver in the past and I'm pretty sure they will get it again for an upcoming launch in September.

At those altitudes you should be considering GPS Tracking with Telemetry. Good luck, I'd love to see that at LDRS24.

Originally posted by Manwithbeers
LDRS 24 will probably be 50,000ft. The Host Club has had that waiver in the past and I'm pretty sure they will get it again for an upcoming launch in September.

At those altitudes you should be considering GPS Tracking with Telemetry. Good luck, I'd love to see that at LDRS24.
If I get an RDAS I'll see about the telemetry. I've also been looking at the GPS Flight telemetry package. The problem is that there is so little real estate in the electronics bay. I usually use a Rocket Hunter beacon.

Beware of the RDAS and high G loads. It resets when a 50 G load or higher is supplied. I've had spikes higher than that with no problems, but if you hit it with 50g's or more for a second or so, it will reset.

The ARTS won't reset, but will overload the sensor causing a pre apogee deployment.

I'd recommend an altimeter that can handle a 100 g load, or just go barometric.

Jeff Taylor mentioned that he may produce a few of the ARTS with the 100g sensor.

Mike Fisher

Originally posted by Mike Fisher
Beware of the RDAS and high G loads. It resets when a 50 G load or higher is supplied. I've had spikes higher than that with no problems, but if you hit it with 50g's or more for a second or so, it will reset.

The ARTS won't reset, but will overload the sensor causing a pre apogee deployment.

I'd recommend an altimeter that can handle a 100 g load, or just go barometric.

Jeff Taylor mentioned that he may produce a few of the ARTS with the 100g sensor.

Mike Fisher
I don't know if I will fly any more crazy ***-kicking motors in the shock again. The K1100 puts on a great show but it's not good for altitude flights. I'm really glad they brought back the K185. I will run some more simulations to see how many G's I will be pulling.

Latest posts

Back