Altitude calculator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a android phone. Is there a free altitude calculator available? I have seen some simulation sites that require a person to be good at physics. I'm not.
Thanks,
John Taylor

+1 for thrustcurve.

setting up an account is fairly easy & straight forward,. then, enter in your rocket fleet, and you have all you need.

Even better, is downloading the cvs data and creating a fancy spreadsheet with all the pertinent info at your fingertips.

I've purged all but the AT motors, as that's what I fly. I've made a fancy table sorted by motor size. I then have delay, max alt, max G, max velocity, etc.. for that motor. (I've even recently added case sizes, so that I can see what I can fly is another case is begin used!) plus chute size, rocket length & dia, so that filling out flight cards is quick & easy*. I can then tweak the Cd value to 'fine tune' the exact calculations it does to get a better / more accurate table.. I no longer need my phone or device or a link to the interweb.. paper, its old-school, but it works!

* our club has editable PDF flight cards. SO, I've filled out a few & saved them for my more common flyers. Complete with name, location, rocket name, colour, length dia, etc.. I also have a sheet of labels with my name, cert level, NAR No. home city & province, so that, again, filling out flight cards is simple & quick..

+1 for thrustcurve.

setting up an account is fairly easy & straight forward,. then, enter in your rocket fleet, and you have all you need.

Even better, is downloading the cvs data and creating a fancy spreadsheet with all the pertinent info at your fingertips.

I've purged all but the AT motors, as that's what I fly. I've made a fancy table sorted by motor size. I then have delay, max alt, max G, max velocity, etc.. for that motor. (I've even recently added case sizes, so that I can see what I can fly is another case is begin used!) plus chute size, rocket length & dia, so that filling out flight cards is quick & easy*. I can then tweak the Cd value to 'fine tune' the exact calculations it does to get a better / more accurate table.. I no longer need my phone or device or a link to the interweb.. paper, its old-school, but it works!

* our club has editable PDF flight cards. SO, I've filled out a few & saved them for my more common flyers. Complete with name, location, rocket name, colour, length dia, etc.. I also have a sheet of labels with my name, cert level, NAR No. home city & province, so that, again, filling out flight cards is simple & quick..
Thank you!

The only think non-intuitive on ThrustCurve is the coefficient of drag field. Keep in mind that smooth, perfect, polished rockets will go faster and higher than unfinished rockets, with a spectrum in between. I'd start my sims with 55%, then adjust up or down based on real life data. Higher number means more draggy, lower number less.

I also base my Cd on flights I have done with commercial motors. After three or four flights, adjust your Cd so the simmed altitude matches (more or less) the real altitude you got with a specific motor listed on the motor guide. It also makes the delay time more accurate. If I had known about Thrustcurve earlier in my flying career, there would have been less zippers and torn out anchor points.

The only think non-intuitive on ThrustCurve is the coefficient of drag field. Keep in mind that smooth, perfect, polished rockets will go faster and higher than unfinished rockets, with a spectrum in between. I'd start my sims with 55%, then adjust up or down based on real life data. Higher number means more draggy, lower number less.
Thank you!

No More Mobile?

I still have ThrustCurve on my OLD android phone, but I recently upgraded to a new phone (Android 9.0)
Most of my apps were automatically reinstalled on the new phone when I set it up - except ThrustCurve.

It didn't get installed on the new phone, and I don't even see it available in the Google Play store anymore.

-what happened?

Google expired old apps and the build process and libraries I was using no longer work with the latest version of Cordova.

On my to-do list is rebuilding the app with the latest packaging technology, but it's a long list. :)

Google expired old apps and the build process and libraries I was using no longer work with the latest version of Cordova.

On my to-do list is rebuilding the app with the latest packaging technology, but it's a long list. :)
Hi, John. I lost my password for Thrustcurve but am not getting the email with the password when I request it. It's not in my junk mail box. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Back