Altitude calculator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a android phone. Is there a free altitude calculator available? I have seen some simulation sites that require a person to be good at physics. I'm not.
Thanks,
John Taylor

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
+1 for thrustcurve.

setting up an account is fairly easy & straight forward,. then, enter in your rocket fleet, and you have all you need.

Even better, is downloading the cvs data and creating a fancy spreadsheet with all the pertinent info at your fingertips.

I've purged all but the AT motors, as that's what I fly. I've made a fancy table sorted by motor size. I then have delay, max alt, max G, max velocity, etc.. for that motor. (I've even recently added case sizes, so that I can see what I can fly is another case is begin used!) plus chute size, rocket length & dia, so that filling out flight cards is quick & easy*. I can then tweak the Cd value to 'fine tune' the exact calculations it does to get a better / more accurate table.. I no longer need my phone or device or a link to the interweb.. paper, its old-school, but it works!

* our club has editable PDF flight cards. SO, I've filled out a few & saved them for my more common flyers. Complete with name, location, rocket name, colour, length dia, etc.. I also have a sheet of labels with my name, cert level, NAR No. home city & province, so that, again, filling out flight cards is simple & quick..

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for thrustcurve.

setting up an account is fairly easy & straight forward,. then, enter in your rocket fleet, and you have all you need.

Even better, is downloading the cvs data and creating a fancy spreadsheet with all the pertinent info at your fingertips.

I've purged all but the AT motors, as that's what I fly. I've made a fancy table sorted by motor size. I then have delay, max alt, max G, max velocity, etc.. for that motor. (I've even recently added case sizes, so that I can see what I can fly is another case is begin used!) plus chute size, rocket length & dia, so that filling out flight cards is quick & easy*. I can then tweak the Cd value to 'fine tune' the exact calculations it does to get a better / more accurate table.. I no longer need my phone or device or a link to the interweb.. paper, its old-school, but it works!

* our club has editable PDF flight cards. SO, I've filled out a few & saved them for my more common flyers. Complete with name, location, rocket name, colour, length dia, etc.. I also have a sheet of labels with my name, cert level, NAR No. home city & province, so that, again, filling out flight cards is simple & quick..
Thank you!

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
The only think non-intuitive on ThrustCurve is the coefficient of drag field. Keep in mind that smooth, perfect, polished rockets will go faster and higher than unfinished rockets, with a spectrum in between. I'd start my sims with 55%, then adjust up or down based on real life data. Higher number means more draggy, lower number less.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I also base my Cd on flights I have done with commercial motors. After three or four flights, adjust your Cd so the simmed altitude matches (more or less) the real altitude you got with a specific motor listed on the motor guide. It also makes the delay time more accurate. If I had known about Thrustcurve earlier in my flying career, there would have been less zippers and torn out anchor points.

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The only think non-intuitive on ThrustCurve is the coefficient of drag field. Keep in mind that smooth, perfect, polished rockets will go faster and higher than unfinished rockets, with a spectrum in between. I'd start my sims with 55%, then adjust up or down based on real life data. Higher number means more draggy, lower number less.
Thank you!

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
No More Mobile?

I still have ThrustCurve on my OLD android phone, but I recently upgraded to a new phone (Android 9.0)
Most of my apps were automatically reinstalled on the new phone when I set it up - except ThrustCurve.

It didn't get installed on the new phone, and I don't even see it available in the Google Play store anymore.

-what happened?

JohnCoker

Reaction score
Google expired old apps and the build process and libraries I was using no longer work with the latest version of Cordova.

On my to-do list is rebuilding the app with the latest packaging technology, but it's a long list. :)

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bummer. I was excited there for about two minutes (sigh)...

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But it still works just fine on the web site, no app needed. Provided you have a data connection at the launch site.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Google expired old apps and the build process and libraries I was using no longer work with the latest version of Cordova.

On my to-do list is rebuilding the app with the latest packaging technology, but it's a long list. :)
Hi, John. I lost my password for Thrustcurve but am not getting the email with the password when I request it. It's not in my junk mail box. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.