Altitude after 9 second delay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Chase

Fly29mm
Reaction score
With the data provided below I'm trying to figure out what altitude my the rocket would have after the nine second delay.
1602441138096.png

For which motor? If you're interested in the F67, note that the Optimum delay column tells you 7s is the best delay. Less than that, and you'll deploy early (zipper) more than that and you'll deploy late (zipper)

Increasing the delay time only allows you to fly higher if your rocket is light enough to continue coasting for longer

Click on Plot/Export and run a Vertical Motion vs time graph. You can see the whole flight profile...including if it's on the way down after 9 seconds.

1602443994888.png
d = distance fallen from rest (apogee)
g = gravitational acceleration (32.18 fps squared).
t = elapsed time (1.93 sec.)
Assumes apogee is at 7.07 sec. (of delay time) and effect of drag is negligible.
so d = approx 60 ft. and deployment will be at 1064 - 60 or 1004 ft.
Not a scientist so you geeks can double check it for me.

Last edited:
When I don't know what delays are needed, I normally go into Edit under Rocket Design, select parachute and set it to open at apogee, rather than first ejection charge (or whatever the default is). This gives me the optimal delay at very low velocity.

For some rockets, the combination of motors and delays available on Openrocket can take a while to muddle through for me without just setting the parachute to open at Apogee.

1602682608259.png
1602682771122.png

Back