• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found AltimeterThree PLEASE!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culprit

Reaction score
My TARC team hung my AltimeterThree in a tree this weekend, and there is less than a month till the TARC deadline. Is the AltimeterThree in stock anywhere? Does anyone have one they want to sell? Please? I believe I can retrieve the rocket after work today, but no guarantee - and a backup would be really nice to have one hand.

Why are they using an AltimeterThree? For backup data? The only TARC-approved altimeters for use in official flights are the PerfectFlite FireFly, APRA or Pnut, as has been the case for several years now.

They are flying the Pnut for the altitude measurement for score, and also flying the AltimeterThree on every flight for the data it gives them: descent rate, flight duration, quick graphical depiction of ejection in relation to apogee, etc. It's been invaluable to the team, especially as they experiment with reefing the parachute to get the needed descent rate to hit the duration window. And on windy days, they can fly with a chute release to keep it within the field, but still get meaningful descent data for their reefing amount even though the flight duration itself is off.

Do you have one you want to sell, or know anyplace that has them in stock?

I'm debating whether to offer mine. I hate to give it up, though, especially there's nothing good to replace it right now. Hmm.

Thank you, but I wouldn't feel right buying one that someone likes/uses. But if there's someone out there who bought one, tried it, and it isn't for them and they never use it, I would be more than happy to buy it.

PS: I don't even care if the battery is dead and won't hold a charge - I have a spare on hand. If anyone has an Altimeter Three collecting dust that you don't use, please let me know.

They are flying the Pnut for the altitude measurement for score, and also flying the AltimeterThree on every flight for the data it gives them: descent rate, flight duration, quick graphical depiction of ejection in relation to apogee, etc. It's been invaluable to the team, especially as they experiment with reefing the parachute to get the needed descent rate to hit the duration window. And on windy days, they can fly with a chute release to keep it within the field, but still get meaningful descent data for their reefing amount even though the flight duration itself is off.

Do you have one you want to sell, or know anyplace that has them in stock?
You can get most of that information by downloading the Pnut data to your PC, Unix box or Mac (32 bit only), but the presentation is not nearly as clear and concise as AltimeterThree's.

I might be persuaded to part with one of mine. A couple of them date back to when I was beta testing them but they are functional and I do use them, though I've been flying FS Mini and Comp more often lately.

You can get most of that information by downloading the Pnut data to your PC, Unix box or Mac (32 bit only), but the presentation is not nearly as clear and concise as AltimeterThree's.

I might be persuaded to part with one of mine. A couple of them date back to when I was beta testing them but they are functional and I do use them, though I've been flying FS Mini and Comp more often lately.

I’ve read that the Pnut gives more data than the altitude and max speed that it beeps out, but every time I’ve tried to buy the data transfer cable for it, it has been out of stock, so I’ve never been able to try it.

We were able to recover the rocket from the tree this afternoon! The Pnut and AltimeterThree survived the rain in the cargo bay, so the need isn’t as urgent, but I would still like a backup on hand. If you would like to sell one of your AltimeterThree’s, please let me know.

Gotcha. I might be able to help there (DTU kit) as well. Let me think about it a bit more.

Glad to hear you got your rocket back and the electronics appear to be functional.

Where are you located?

Gotcha. I might be able to help there (DTU kit) as well. Let me think about it a bit more.

Glad to hear you got your rocket back and the electronics appear to be functional.

Where are you located?

Thank you! It was actually a nice climb: a healthy, strong tree, with a great crotch for a top rope, and zero poison ivy. You can't ask for more than that!

We're in Stafford, VA 22405.

Is there a Micro Center near you? I think they carry these.

I stand corrected, it is sold out online - and it is just the Estes Altimeter, not AltimeterThree. could've sworn I saw one at the Brentwood, MO location. Might be worth giving them a call!

PS: I don't even care if the battery is dead and won't hold a charge - I have a spare on hand. If anyone has an Altimeter Three collecting dust that you don't use, please let me know.
I guess I’m not alone in needing a new Altimeter3. I’ve been looking for them since last summer and mine was destroyed last Saturday.

I guess I’m not alone in needing a new Altimeter3. I’ve been looking for them since last summer and mine was destroyed last Saturday.

I’m sorry to hear that yours got destroyed!

I’m definitely getting the feeling there will be a long line when John gets more made.

Back