AltimeterThree App Version 3.0 for Apple iOS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beans

Founder, Jolly Logic
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Version 3.0 of the mobile app is available on the App Store.
The Android version will push soon (most of the code is shared).

Version 3.0 includes the following enhancements:
> New: Full flight analysis for rockets (a la AltimeterTwo)
> New: Rocket mode now shows initial and final descent rates (for Chute Release)
> New: Flight Log lays out all of your flights onto one spreadsheet so that you can compare the stats
> New: Flight Repair feature for damaged datasets
> New: Climb/Sink Rate graph for those of you with planes, gliders, helicopters, quadcopters, and hunting birds

> More robust flight downloads when battery power lost before recovery
> Bug fix: Facebook sharing now supports recent Facebook policies (after Facebook approval in next couple of days)
> Text size on graph markers now adjustable

For example.....see attached. This is the same flight of my Star Orbiter for which data was posed in Leo's Star Orbiter build thread.....

Looks really nice. That's the default text size on the graph - it can go up and down quite a bit.

Have generated a flight log spreadsheet as well, but haven't looked at it too closely yet...only had the new app for a couple of hours and had to do some other stuff as well tonight.... :)

For those who are wondering how I got all that data on one screen - these are screen caps from my iPad Pro (the big one). I had downloaded the data to it for a few flights including this one at the TCR launch a couple of weeks ago, in addition to downloading to my iPhone 6+.

Almost unrelated - I put this model into SmartLaunch and the results here match the predicted apogee and max speed very closely.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that - no Aerotech "bonus delay" here.... But I don't fly enough Aerotech to know if that perjorative applies just to reloads or to SU motors such as this one as well.

The flight just before that with the same motor type shows the reported delay to be 9.35s.

Attached are iPhone 6+ screenshots of that flight including the graph in both portrait and landscape orientation. And I have no idea how to get the pictures to appear in the order I want them to.....I thought I had figured it out but it didn't work this time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome update, love the new features! Here's a few of my flights tagged:

Estes Leviathan w/zipperless baffle, flying an F59 with a 48" Spherachute bundled with a Chute Release. Not much altitude, but a nice fun flight.
FlightGraph 4.png

For something a bit more extreme... 3" MAC Canvas build running a J415 to 553 mph and 6K'. A3 got 811 fps, nice and close to the Stratologger speed of 750 fps. Yes, single deploy since it was flying ARLISS payloads :dark:
Interestingly enough, the A3 marks deployment as slightly early despite altimeter only deployment (no motor charge). The rocket launched at a slight angle due to wind, so it had a bit of velocity at deployment, pulling 15 Gs but everything held together.
FlightGraph 3.png

4" Crayon on an H123sk, nice flight with a 12" drogue and the same 48" chute as the previous two flights...
FlightGraph 2.png

Finally, a 3" 4 pound fiberglass rocket on an I470-great flight! 18" drogue wadded initially and didn't open to about 2K', but descent rate was about the same with and without drogue. 50" Topflight main released at 500'
FlightGraph.png

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about a android update yet?

Last edited:
Not so much impatient. More so excited. I also am not sure how to "get" updates. This is my first "smart phone" that I have ever owned. TRF is my only way as far as I know how to get the update.

The answer in my mind is always NO unless asked, therefore I ask.

Like the update for ios. Will like the android update too.

I also am not sure how to "get" updates. This is my first "smart phone" that I have ever owned. TRF is my only way as far as I know how to get the update.
Not sure if you mean the update to the app or update in the form of news.
You won't get the app update through TRF, you will however get news of the update through TRF, as John said, he'll start a thread.
When John does update the app on Google Play, your phone/tablet will either notify you of the update being available or update it for you automatically.
Note that the above is not instant and depends on how often your device checks the Play Store for updates(mine seems to do it every few weeks)

However, if you see John post news of the update here on TRF, you can force the app update on your device by going to the Play Store app on your device, then tap the Menu icon 'Hamburger' (Stupid name given to the three parallel horizontal bar icon), then tap "My apps & games" then you should see a list of installed apps, with the apps having available updates at the top of the list.
Either hit the Update All button (check them all first, I accept no responsibility) or scroll to JLA3 app and tap update.

There is also another way to manually update the app, but the Play Store is easiest.

Not sure if you mean the update to the app or update in the form of news.
You won't get the app update through TRF, you will however get news of the update through TRF, as John said, he'll start a thread.
When John does update the app on Google Play, your phone/tablet will either notify you of the update being available or update it for you automatically.
Note that the above is not instant and depends on how often your device checks the Play Store for updates(mine seems to do it every few weeks)

However, if you see John post news of the update here on TRF, you can force the app update on your device by going to the Play Store app on your device, then tap the Menu icon 'Hamburger' (Stupid name given to the three parallel horizontal bar icon), then tap "My apps & games" then you should see a list of installed apps, with the apps having available updates at the top of the list.
Either hit the Update All button (check them all first, I accept no responsibility) or scroll to JLA3 app and tap update.

There is also another way to manually update the app, but the Play Store is easiest.

Oh ok. So really my phone should just say, hello there is an update for it. I for some reason thought I'd have to find the update somewhere. I have been checking jl.com also....haha.

Okay well thanks

Back