Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm researching dual deploy systems, and have been looking at altimeters. So far, these are the three I'm interested in:

Transolve P6
https://www.transolve.com/Transolve/index.html

Missleworks RRC2
https://www.missileworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Perfectflite HiAlt45K
https://68.178.208.82/cgi/PF_Store/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&thispage=HA45.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Pros and cons? Is there another similarly priced altimeter I should be looking at? These are all about $80.

I prefer the Transolve P6K over the P6 (the required soldering is easy).

RRC2-mini though is my favorite based on wide range of field programability.

No experience with Hi-Alt 45K.

I prefer the Transolve P6K over the P6 (the required soldering is easy).

RRC2-mini though is my favorite based on wide range of field programability.

No experience with Hi-Alt 45K.

Yeah, I was thinking about the P6K, as I've got some electronics experience. But I need to figure out which altimeter will be best for me.

The HiAlt45K doesn't record the data for downloading and access, later. If that's something you want to do, look at the MAWD by the same coampany, Perfectflite.

Also, take a look at Featherweight's Raven, which offers 4 channels of pyro control (the default is set up as apogee, main, apogee backup and main backup. Flew one last month, and it works like a charm, and offers downloading of the data: baro altimeter, acceleration in a couple of axis... way cool and tiny!

I have both an RRC2Mini and a HiAlt45k..I like them both. They both do the job intended and do it well..The HiAlt is easier to setup as the settings are managed by jumpers..The Mini takes some getting used to and careful reading of the instructions on what the flashes mean as far as which 'menu' you are in..The Mini does have a 2 flight profile feature that I like, leave one profile in the 'default' mode and then play around with the settings in the other profile. You can switch between the 2 with a switch..If you want data, go for a few more bucks and get either the MAWD or Raven..My :2::2:(adjusted for inflation)

Ditto what Jon said.

If it's your first rodeo, the Hi alt45 is the route to go for simplicity. If you happen to like fiddling with electronics, there is a lot you can play with on the Missile works. The basic function is the same, as is the price.
If it's a toss up go with one your brother fliers use, as there will be someone to help

Last edited:
Can you use Q2G2 ignitors for the ejection charges?

You might want to start a separate thread asking people which altimeters they've successfully used with Q2G2s. That'd be a useful topic, and it would give you an idea which you could expect to work. Of course you'll want to ground test it yourself with your own setup.

I haven't tried it yet with Q2G2s, but I expect that the Perfectflite and Missileworks altimeters I generally use would fire 'em just fine, and that they'd light the BP just fine as well.

You might want to start a separate thread asking people which altimeters they've successfully used with Q2G2s. That'd be a useful topic, and it would give you an idea which you could expect to work. Of course you'll want to ground test it yourself with your own setup.

I haven't tried it yet with Q2G2s, but I expect that the Perfectflite and Missileworks altimeters I generally use would fire 'em just fine, and that they'd light the BP just fine as well.

Say to yourself "ground test" several times over...

I have the HiAlt45. I love it. It's handled several 80+ G flights with no issues. 24+ flights so far without a single glitch, late deploy, or any issue I can think of.

I does NOT record flight data.

It DOES have a very high current output on the pyro channels. I did some testing with the HiAlt45 and a borrowed MAWD using some homemade ematches. The HiAlt45 would fire 1 to 3 ematchs per channel everytime. The MAWD only fired about 50% of the single ematches tested. I would use the homemade ematches with the HiAlt45, I would never fly them with the MAWD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the MAWD is bad. It is designed with a lower current capability on the pyro channels then the HiAlt45 and that has to be considered when you determine what altimeter you want to use.

Back