Altimeters: Comparison guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I updated altimeter comparison guide (added several new altimeters, removed altimeters that are no longer available, updated prices, etc).

Am I missing new altimeters? Let me know!

-Alex
Alex: The current models of the Eggtimer Quark and Eggtimer TRS are now good to 60,000'. The 30,000' spec was the older Bosch-based models, which haven't been shipped for over two years. Thanks!

Am I missing new altimeters? Let me know!

-Alex

Telemini V3. It has a RDF radio beacon capability, dual deploy Apogee/main, live telemetry, and programmable channels.

The big change from V1 to V3 is the radio beacon is 40mW instead of 10mW.

2014 was a great year for electronics in rocketry - we've seen many new devices which are getting smarter, smaller and cheaper. With all the changes, it gets harder to keep track of all available options (don't get me wrong - it's a good problem to have!).

My attempt to simplify it resulted in an extensive list of all currently available model rocket altimeters and their parameters, such as dimensions, weight, sensors being used, interfaces, pyro options, battery and voltage requirements, etc. All data was compiled from vendor datasheets and manuals. If it's something TRF community finds useful, I'd keep maintaining it.

Link: Model rocket altimeters: Comparison guide.

Now here's how you could help: I'm missing some data for few altimeters (look for question marks), mostly related to dimensions and recording functions. If you have one, measure it / post a file with a recorded flight, and I'll update the guide accordingly.

All comments (except negative ones) are welcome!

--Alex
https://RocketsEtc.com/
Useful. I can't fit my Jolly Logic in an 18mm rocket. Nice to know which ones will fit.

Does anybody make an altimeter that
1. fits in a bt-20
2. uses some method like perhaps an accelerometer such that I can fire an igniter at 1st stage burnout?
3. or en electronic staging timer ?

Does anybody make an altimeter that
1. fits in a bt-20
2. uses some method like perhaps an accelerometer such that I can fire an igniter at 1st stage burnout?
3. or en electronic staging timer ?

The Perfectflite microtimer2 will fit in a bt-20 and provide a single timer for an airstart, or deployment event. https://www.perfectflite.com/ut2a.html

plenty of altimeters that fit in a bt-20 (estes,jollylogic, etc...) although the only one I know that can handle events is the telemini. If you go up to 24mm, there are several like the stratologger, Raven4, RCC3, etc...

Last edited:
Great idea Dave! I'm getting back to flying after a 15 year absence and would appreciate feedback on avionics I should consider for use with dual deployment and a TenderDescender L2 in a 4" rocket - kit still TBD. I want something that has GPS functionality as well. Thank you!

Great idea Dave! I'm getting back to flying after a 15 year absence and would appreciate feedback on avionics I should consider for use with dual deployment and a TenderDescender L2 in a 4" rocket - kit still TBD. I want something that has GPS functionality as well. Thank you!
Give me a few days. I have most of the data, just need to validate it....

I'm getting back to flying after a 15 year absence and would appreciate feedback on avionics I should consider for use with dual deployment and a TenderDescender L2 in a 4" rocket - kit still TBD but will build it to work with a range of 38 and 54 mm motors. I want something that has GPS functionality as well. Thank you!

I'm getting back to flying after a 15 year absence and would appreciate feedback on avionics I should consider for use with dual deployment and a TenderDescender L2 in a 4" rocket - kit still TBD but will build it to work with a range of 38 and 54 mm motors. I want something that has GPS functionality as well. Thank you!
If you can solder small components Eggtimer Rocketry offers the Eggtimer TRS, a GPS and dual deploy altimeter all in one, the receiver is also a kit, most cost effective GPS and altimeter I know of.

If you can solder small components Eggtimer Rocketry offers the Eggtimer TRS, a GPS and dual deploy altimeter all in one, the receiver is also a kit, most cost effective GPS and altimeter I know of.
The only other combo I know of is a TeleMega (altusmetrum.org). The altimeter/tracker is $400 and the ground station another $100.

The Eggtimer TRS ($90) and receiver ($25 - $95, depending on which option you choose to go with) are the best bang for the buck. However, the TRS is the most difficult kit to build (5/5). I've borked more than one of their 4/5 kits, so it's not for beginners. There are TRF members that will build them for you for a price. Even with this, you'll need another altimeter if you are doing redundant DD.

That said, if you want a solid and cost effective redundant DD solution, an Eggtimer Quantum ($40) as your main altimeter with an Eggtimer Quark ($20) as your secondary and an Eggfinder Mini ($75) with the RX dongle receiver ($25) is the best bang for the buck overall. Put the Eggfinder in a nose cone AV-Bay so you can move it between rockets easily and avoid signal attenuation from the all threads in your DD AV-Bay.

Mike,

How would you like updates/corrections?

Just off the top of my head:

Where are the FlightSketch devices?

Altus Metrum MicroSplash is just a MicroPeak with different firmware (primarily if not entirely a lower altitude launch detect threshold)....so all the info about it should match MicroPeak save that triggering altitude (and the price).

Adrel Max-Alt is just the current version of the ALT-BMP as sold by North Coast Rocketry rather than direct from Adrel in Poland, so again, numbers and capabilities and such should pretty much match. What NCR brought to the table was a Win10 (vs. XP or 7) interface app as well as the USB interface hardware that uses the much-better-supported FTDI USB to serial chip. Also, the weight shown does not include the required lithium polymer cell to power it (which also impacts the dimensions as the cell NCR sells is wider than the device itself).

Eggtimer Apogee is like all the other Eggtimer devices in that it is a kit, so it should also be flagged "DIY"

Someone else will have to take a look at the deployment devices.....which reminds me there is now an Adrel MaxDeploy which is a MaxAlt with a single deployment channel.

Do you have the data that were under the cells where the entry is "Click!" or do you want to put the details that were in there in more columns in the updated spreadsheet? (Since I opened it with Numbers rather than Excel, apologies if that is a data translation issue on my end).

Last edited:
I’m a huge fan of the FlightSketch Mini, but they haven’t been available on their website for several months. I emailed them asking them their status, but got no reply. Does anyone know about their status?

Last I heard (a couple of months ago) Russ was waiting on battery holders before he could have another batch of Mini's built. He's been incommunicado for me as well the last few weeks....I hope he's just busy but otherwise OK.

I’m a huge fan of the FlightSketch Mini, but they haven’t been available on their website for several months. I emailed them asking them their status, but got no reply. Does anyone know about their status?
I have a FS Mini that I will sell you. $29.00 + shipping? Got Paypal? DM me.

I have a FS Mini that I will sell you. $29.00 + shipping? Got Paypal? DM me.

Shockie, I'm not having any luck sending you a DM. I am interested in it. Please try and DM me (hopefully I can view it).

Thank you!

Shockie, I'm not having any luck sending you a DM. I am interested in it. Please try and DM me (hopefully I can view it).

Thank you!
Send me an email

shockwaveriderz at hotmail dot com

Thank you!
I started a private conversation

Last edited:
I sent an email a couple months ago asking if I could pre-order a mini or two from the next batch, but I also got no response.

2014 was a great year for electronics in rocketry - we've seen many new devices which are getting smarter, smaller and cheaper. With all the changes, it gets harder to keep track of all available options (don't get me wrong - it's a good problem to have!).

My attempt to simplify it resulted in an extensive list of all currently available model rocket altimeters and their parameters, such as dimensions, weight, sensors being used, interfaces, pyro options, battery and voltage requirements, etc. All data was compiled from vendor datasheets and manuals. If it's something TRF community finds useful, I'd keep maintaining it.

Link: Model rocket altimeters: Comparison guide.

Now here's how you could help: I'm missing some data for few altimeters (look for question marks), mostly related to dimensions and recording functions. If you have one, measure it / post a file with a recorded flight, and I'll update the guide accordingly.

All comments (except negative ones) are welcome!

--Alex
https://RocketsEtc.com/
Thank you, this is wonderful and as I am about to do my Level 1 HPR flight in a few weeks, I am looking for one right now. I am thinking about the Eggtimer that also is a GPS for when I start going for higher flights onward to Level 2.

I sent an email a couple months ago asking if I could pre-order a mini or two from the next batch, but I also got no response.

I would love to fly a mini as well and have emailed them with no response. If I get the chance to use one at a launch I will. I would even trade my JL2 or easy mini for the flight.

Back