Altimeter switch style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tfish

Reaction score
I use mostly my own screw switches..and yes loose screws, screws falling out and screws screwing themselves in can be a problem. I learned about Vibra Tite VC-3 in another thread a couple months ago. It works great!

!

Tony

Rocks&Rockets

Reaction score

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like you I have made my own backings (or simply been slow / careful / hopeful) but for those who have not seen there are now APE shrouds (available from chris or with the switches themselves) that will block screws from being unscrewed too far

Not perfect for every application but definitely a good option
I guess one of the advantages of making your own is if you use a too long screw and cut it short with a pair of side cutters, that messes up the threads enough they bind up before you can unscrew them. You could replace the screws that come with the purchased one with a longer brass screw and cut it short with the side cutters. That would give you the same binding action.

n27sb

N27SB
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I usually make my own because I can incorporate them right into the structure of my sled. The photo's are of a sled for a tiny 24mm DD.
The screw is a 4-40 and the contacts are from a heavy transistors leads.
IMG_7677.jpgIMG_7676.jpgIMG_7678.jpg

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Handeman's set up is very good. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can make switch enclosures that can hold upwards of 6 switches. This saves money over commercial ones (see below from my previous post). Cotter pins work well in enclosures that hold only 1 or 2 switches. If using 3 or 4 switches then a steel bicycle spoke works well.

1592442580479.png

Also, the PVC switch holders from Additive Aerospace are good substitutes for the drilled holes used previously for schurter switches in the body tube.

Fred,L2
ICBM,Camden,S.C.
KG4YGP