Quantcast

Altimeter sled mounting holes, pre-drilled or totally blank?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
For those of you who use purchased altimeter sleds: Do you have a preference for having pre-drilled holes for altimeters, or would you rater the sled be blank?

There was a preference for pre-drilled holes years ago when I first released my sleds, and I want to make sure that is still the case.

Any other feedback is always welcome.

~Andrew

heada

Reaction score
Blank. I have 3 different brands and 4 different models within those brands, all with different mounting holes patterns. I try to marry 1 board to a sled but sometimes I do move between them.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pre-drilled for me.

If I have to drill into a blank sled I won’t have the “nub” that adds additional space for threading in a tri-lobe screw. This means additional bits and bobs (nuts, spacers, etc.) are required to mount the altimeter.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pre drilled. Though, with all the electronics options, the board looks like Swiss cheese!

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
Reaction score
Pre-drilled, as in pre-molded in bosses and holes for 3D printing. Works perfectly. Makes for instant installation and no possibility of a ruined mounting.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What about using thin pilot holes at the locations? I don't have any preference personally as I print my own.