Altimeter pouch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Awhile back, I bought a FlightSketch Mini from another member. I want to be able to very quickly move it from rocket to rocket, putting it in sport models that are built according to the instructions with no special provisions for carrying an altimeter. So I've been mulling over making a fabric pouch to protect it from ejection gases, dirt and dust, and whatever other slings and arrows might come its way. I've been putting off doing that for a ridiculously long time, for reasons I didn't quite understand. It turns out it may have been an intuitive sense that I wasn't quite sure how to do it at a step by step level. Today, I dove in. It turns out my intuition was right. I ended up starting over about four times before I got it all the way done successfully. Figured that warrants a how-to so other people can just get after it. And so I can remember in case I need to do it again in the future.

The FS Mini in all its glory. My FS mini by itself weighed 2.968 gm. I used the built-in hole as an anchor for a 150-lb Kevlar cord to attach it to a Dr. Fish #1 BB snap swivel. The snap swivel by itself weighs 0.56 gm. I used Perfection Loop knots in the Kevlar and dressed the ends with a drop of CA to prevent fraying, but kept it away from the knot itself. Before this was all over, I dressed the edges and knocked the sharpness off the corners of the circuit board to allow it to slide in and out of the pouch much more easily. Sharp corners wanted to hang up on the fabric.

DSCF8539 web.JPG

I originally thought I'd make it all neat and pretty, turning it inside out so the seams would face inward, as in the photo below. Two problems made that not work.
1. Having all the extra material on the inside created features that the altimeter hung up on, so getting the altimeter in and out of the pouch was much more difficult than it needed to be.
2. I couldn't get a drawstring cord through the sleeve that was formed. You can see where I nipped a little hole in it with a razor blade, but there is just no way to push a rope around that loop, and unless I had a circular needle, that wasn't going to help, either.

DSCF8546 web.JPG

What I finally did that worked:
I started with an old, discarded pillow case. Cut a chunk off the hemmed edge, so it already had a really nice fold in it. That made the rest a lot easier. Cut it much bigger than it needs to be. The sewing machine likes bigger pieces of fabric a lot better.

DSCF8540 web.JPG

I stitched along the folded edge, with the fold at the side of the sewing machine's foot. Used a large, blunt needle to pass the Kevlar drawstring into the little sleeve that was formed. I flipped the cutting mat over for the photos to show scale.

DSCF8541 web.JPG

I then cut one side of the material away so just the sewn sleeve was left at the top. Picked the side with the nicer looking stitching to be outside. I folded the assembly over and marked the corners of where I wanted the sewing on the final pouch to be. Then sewed the other two sides in a continuous run, starting at the bottom and turning at the corner. Stopped just before the stitch line that makes the drawstring sleeve. I then used a hand needle to pass one tail through the fabric so they were both on the same side and tied them off. Used a teensy drop of CA to lock those knots and trimmed the ends.

DSCF8542 web.JPG

It was very important at this point to NOT cut the drawstring, so I cut partway through the sleeve and then came in from the end.

DSCF8543 web.JPG

I was then able to pull the drawstring out of the way and cut off the rest of the sleeve.

DSCF8544 web.JPG

To finish it, I gave myself a long enough loop to be able to tie both sides, then joined the ends of the drawstring with a simple overhand knot including both ends. I used a Perfection loop to connect the longer end to the snap swivel. The drawstring is tightened and held tight with a simple overhand knot looped back through, so pulling on the end will untie it.

Here is is with the FS Mini in the bag and both lines attached to the snap swivel. Belt and suspenders. Both lines get taught about the same time, but the FS Mini is ultimately held to the swivel by its own leader. This assembly will hook onto a recovery harness wherever you want. It still fits neatly in a BT-20. The entire assembly shown here weighs 4.376 gm, so the bag, harnesses, and 0.56-gm snap swivel all together added 1.408 gm to the mass of the altimeter. Looking forward to flying it.

DSCF8545 web.JPG

Last edited:
Realizing that non-hard-mounting the FS Mini in particular may cause some weirdness due to it using a 3-axis accelerometer as well as the baro sensor. Will just have to see what the data looks like. Also have an AltusMetrum microPeak that may work in the pouch without weirdness. That fits inside Estes injection molded NCs for BT-20, so it's currently in a sled for my latest little build. We'll see.

As you may have seen, my wife makes little pouches for FS Mini, FireFly and MicroPeak altimeters out of scraps of fleece, and with a Velcro closure. These aren’t quite as compact as yours due to the bulkier material. I’ve been flying them that way since the Mini was in beta test (three years ago now, I think).

You will see all kinds of noise in the accelerometer data during descent, but I’ve not found much use for the descent acceleration data anyway.

Baro data gets wierd if an altimeter (any altimeter) can bounce around inside the rocket during boost, but that doesn’t sound like it will be a problem in your application. MicroPeak is really fussy about sunlight hitting the sensor. The Mini is less so and the FireFly actually has a little on-board protection from that issue.

The Mini is susceptible to a big impact at ejection causing a tiny momentary loss of power and that’s much more likely if it’s in with the “laundry” in a pouch than in a separate compartment.. If that happens you get data like this: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3917/ This was a fleece pouch tethered to a regular Alpha nose cone.

This is a more normal one (but clearly showing an early ejection) on the same model: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3892/

These pics are from one of the more close-fitting ones she’s made. I just use a loop of 100 lb. Kevlar with a lark’s head through the lanyard hole on the Mini, then feed that up through a slit in the pouch. This pouch has quite a few flights on it. Eventually they do get cooked.

351EA7C4-0914-4041-A33F-051A04FB048E.jpeg7112CE9F-7DF5-455B-8E35-FBC20F38EB88.jpegB8050992-178B-4BF8-AAFA-59D176AD005E.jpeg

Last edited:
The Mini is susceptible to a big impact at ejection causing a tiny momentary loss of power and that’s much more likely if it’s in with the “laundry” in a pouch than in a separate compartment.. If that happens you get data like this: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3917/ This was a fleece pouch tethered to a regular Alpha nose cone.

This is a more normal one (but clearly showing an early ejection) on the same model: https://flightsketch.com/flights/3892/

Is that loss of power due to inertia of the ejection affecting the momentary-contact power switch, or something else? Seems like the rest of the board should be pretty solid. Maybe if the BT is large enough, making sure the long axis of the board is perpendicular to the BT axis would help prevent that.

You know, I don’t know the mechanism for sure. I’ve always assumed it was the Mini banging against the nose cone and causing a momentary loss of contact in the battery holder….but since I’ve never seen that on MicroPeak, which uses a slightly smaller version of the same holder, the idea that it’s the push button switch banging into something else actually makes more sense. I know that I see this truncated data from time to time, and almost always from a Mini in a pouch. It also almost always coincides with ejection.

I generally hang them with the switch end up, which also argues for a split-second bump of the switch. I think I‘ll ping Russ and see what he thinks of that idea.

I VERY rarely get a FireFly back from a flight with it indicating loss of power in flight. It too uses the same kind of battery holder, but it also uses the same (or very similar pushbutton switch as Russ does on the Mini. MicroPeak has a slide switch. Hmmmmmm……

I just added pics of one of my pouches to my previous post, BTW.

….I just had another thought about the bumped-switch scenario, though. Both the FS Mini and the FireFly require one to depress the switch for several seconds to shut the altimeter off. That takes me back to jarring the battery holder.

I will ask Russ @gtg738w what he thinks.

Here"s mine, hand sewn out of flame resistant, "orange nomex cloth" off ebay, 15 sq feet for $9.99 with free ship... ! The kevlar cord is 500# test same deal $9.99 for 25 feet. I had the SS snap left over from the boat so i used it.

Attachments

• IMG_4234.JPEG
    IMG_4234.JPEG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Rather than a cloth pouch, Smokin Rockets used to have an altimeter capsule that consisted of a 54mm coupler with a single sled and bulkplates. You slide it into a piece of 54mm tube and secure the bulkplate to the larger bulkplate of whatever rocket you’re putting it in.
PML had something similar that was 38mm.
An altimeter on a sled like that can be dropped into a rocket and flown and quickly moved to another. Similarly an ejection charge canister can be connected at each end.

2FC17DBE-EEC5-4AC9-B4DC-4F3763617D14.jpeg

I made these out of nomex for the Marco Polo transmitter for Low Power rockets. You all might consider sticking right side in then turn inside out and top stitch. Makes a much more durable package.

Attachments

• 08880B60-2ED3-4474-9628-B7E89E2A5826.jpeg
    08880B60-2ED3-4474-9628-B7E89E2A5826.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Marco Polo Ultralight Model is ginormous and a tank at 12 grams. There are lots of things I'd do differently if I was working with stuff that big. This was a tight package to run the FS Mini in tubes as small as BT-20. Sleds for 38 and 54mm tubing are a different universe.

https://eurekaproducts.com/product/ultralight-single-drone-recovery-system/

Tag Transceiver Physical Specifications​

• Height: 2 in. (51 mm)
  • Width: .86 in. (22 mm)
  • Depth: .45 in. (11.5 mm)
  • Weight: .42 oz. (12 g)

Here"s mine, hand sewn out of flame resistant, "orange nomex cloth" off ebay, 15 sq feet for $9.99 with free ship... ! The kevlar cord is 500# test same deal $9.99 for 25 feet. I had the SS snap left over from the boat so i used it.
Do you have links to the nomex and cord?

Back