Altimeter or RocSim 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo52

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here is the question of the day. I recently came into a large sum of money (about $80) and would like to add my grass cutting proceeds to it and either buy a MAWD altimeter or the new RocSim. What do you think? I guess I should do a poll, but, uhmmm....... Noooooooo!

Rocksim is certainly nice to have, but the altimeter is more fun.

I say altimeter.

You'll get more use out of it without any additinal expence (extept a battery.. or PDA & cable, etc..)

Rock sim is great, but they have (Had?!) a trial verison. And once you've desinged a few rockets, you need $$$ to build them!! (or you loose interest..)

I also say Altimeter! You cannot put the rocksim CD in a rocket! :D

altimeter.

you can use the trial version of RocSim for free.

I find rocksim an invaluable tool because i only build from scratch- but my first altimeter was a more important essential expense, for getting my L2 cert.
Why don't you download the free 30-day Rocksim demo and try it, design a few rockets with it, and decide if its worth the money yourself.

Brovo52

People can tell you what they did, I bought RockSim, or what they think you should do, but you are already certified lvl 1 and I would think that you already know what aspects of rocketry you enjoy the most. Simply make your own decision based on your personal preferences. You will likely do this anyway as my preferences are largely immaterial to your decision. Thus, this reply is just a complete waste of time even if it was entertaining.

For myself, I have no difficulties deciding how to spend vast sums of money on rocketry, the primary constraint being the tolerance of my dear wife for the extravagances of my amusements.

MAWD.

You can design a rocket without a cad package, and there are many free flight simulation packages, but you can't easily determine how high it got without an altimeter.

Bob

Ok, here is the question of the day. I recently came into a large sum of money (about $80) and would like to add my grass cutting proceeds to it and either buy a MAWD altimeter or the new RocSim. What do you think? I guess I should do a poll, but, uhmmm....... Noooooooo!

Do you already own an older version of Rocksim? If so, that makes it easier.

Does getting an altimeter let you do things you've been wanting to do, and haven't been able to? Or is it more of a "Hey, I've got money, maybe I'll buy this" kind of thing?

If you don't have either, they both have their benefits.

(I think) you'll be happier if you invest the money in something you'll use, rather than letting it sit there and thinking, "Ooh, look at the shiny bauble!"

-Kevin

Back