Altimeter Choice, need help !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdma77

Reaction score
I am looking to purcahse an altimeter for dual deployment. Could somebody recommend one to me please. I am looking for pros and cons of all makes and models. I even saw a kit for about $58.00.

Thanks,

Jeff

RRC2 is a good starter altimeter, I'm on my second one. The MAWD from perfect flight is a great second, third...heck I wish they had this one for a first when I 1st got started. Unless you are good with electronics and could put a kit altimeter together, I would spend the extra $30 or $40 and get one of the above mentioned alts.

Both are less than a bill ($100) but with the MAWD you can order the daughter board and download stored flight data on a home computer, and that will bring it to about $115.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

The RRC2X and Perfectflite MAWD are great altimeters....but make sure you spend the $1 on an e-match instead of something homemade. The $1 investment I think is worth the cost of the rocket and electronics.

Edward

I fly both Parfect Fligh MAWD and Missileworks RRC2. I like and dislike both for different reasons.

MAWD - Like small size, A/D accuracy. Minor like data download capability. Dislike small screw terminals, I like to crank things down tight and always feel afraid I am going to break or twist-off a terminal, plus can only use really small wires.

RRC2 - Like very solid construction, large, robust screw terninals. Dislike on-board battery holder, terminals can get bent and/or corroded. Minor dislike, low resolution A/D chip gives less accurate baro altitude.

If I were to buy an dual deploy altimeter today, I would probably buy the MissleWorks unit without the on-board battery holder.

My $0.02, --Lance.

Originally posted by edwardw
The RRC2X and Perfectflite MAWD are great altimeters....but make sure you spend the $1 on an e-match instead of something homemade. The $1 investment I think is worth the cost of the rocket and electronics.

Edward

I have 2 MAWDs and can vouch for them as excellent altimeters. I have flown both together and they returned the same altitude within a few feet. The download kit is well worth having as it gives the flight profile recorded at 20 samples / sec. as well as peak altitude.

I would agree always use a purchased e-match as it will be more reliable than any of the other home-made solutions, in addition the altimeter has been tested with them and so you know they will not damage the altimeter.

I also have a G-Wizz LC (not the LC deluxe) - as it is inertial only the recorded altitude is way off and single deploy only. After seeing the altitude inaccuracy I have not dared fly it for deployment. Can be used as an airstart or staging controller though.

Personally I would go for the MAWD.

The Prefectflite Alt15K logging altimeter was chosen for the TARC 2004 altimeter because they are accurate, readily available and affordable. The Perfectflite MAWD logging dual event altimeter is essentially the same unit with a slightly higher altitude range and double deployment. Altitude resolution is about 10 ft. The manuals are excellent, and goes into gory detail on how to set it up for double deployment. With the data transfer kit the cost is $115. It's not a bad deal.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by cdma77
I am looking to purcahse an altimeter for dual deployment. Could somebody recommend one to me please. I am looking for pros and cons of all makes and models. I even saw a kit for about $58.00.

The Ozark ARTS is probably the most capable and one of the best. It may have more capability than you need. But if you have it and decide you need those other capabilities later, you have it.

I like it because it's both baro and kinetic. It measures both ways. No worries about going Mach or other air/wind pressure problems.

I agree with everything mentioned already. All the altimters mentioned are good units.
I also have bought and assembled the P6K from Transolve for $58 including shipping.
For $58 you get an altimeter that is rugged and works. If that's what you want - go for it. If you think you want/need extras - look someplace else.
There are NO extras. No logging or recording. Low 100 foot resolution on reported altitude. No on board battery mount (this is a plus or minus depending on opinion).

It just works - isn't that why you want one?? I got my L2 with my P6K........

Back