Altimeter battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've just finished building the Loc black Brant and using the missileworks RRC2+ Altimeter. Can I get some suggestions how to make some sort of charging port that's accessible from outside the rocket instead of having to keep opening up the electronics battery to charge it. It uses a9v battery thank you

I have not seen one, or anyone attempt one, but maybe just missed it. What's the config that would make you feel safe charging it while hooked up to the altimeter? Something I would not want to try, but that's just me. You mentioned 9v, is this a rechargeable 9v? IMO, opening an av bay happens for several other times/reasons besides getting batteries prepped.

I have not seen one, or anyone attempt one, but maybe just missed it. What's the config that would make you feel safe charging it while hooked up to the altimeter? Something I would not want to try, but that's just me. You mentioned 9v, is this a rechargeable 9v? IMO, opening an av bay happens for several other times/reasons besides getting batteries prepped.

I have done it many times. There is nothing not safe about it. Do you disconnect the battery in your car, cell phone, camera, or other electronics when you charge it? We charge our RC models, many costing thousands of dollars all the time that way. Wire in a charge jack of your choosing on each side of the battery. Just have the switch off when you charge. Asking him if the battery is rechargeable is rather condescending. There are times when it is appropriate to charge, or verify the charge, without opening the bay.

I have done it many times. There is nothing not safe about it. Do you disconnect the battery in your car, cell phone, camera, or other electronics when you charge it? We charge our RC models, many costing thousands of dollars all the time that way. Wire in a charge jack of your choosing on each side of the battery. Just have the switch off when you charge. Asking him it the battery is rechargeable is rather condescending.

Thank you, that's the idea I was thinking. On my RC planes, I install switch/charge lead and I was wondering something along those lines.

I have done it many times. There is nothing not safe about it. Do you disconnect the battery in your car, cell phone, camera, or other electronics when you charge it? We charge our RC models, many costing thousands of dollars all the time that way. Wire in a charge jack of your choosing on each side of the battery. Just have the switch off when you charge. Asking him if the battery is rechargeable is rather condescending. There are times when it is appropriate to charge, or verify the charge, without opening the bay.

Do you have a picture of the jack and arrangement you use to give me an idea

I primarily used servo leads as I have a lot laying around. You can take it out the side of a switch band or have it at the end of the bay which requires disassembling the rocket. Regarding the wiring. I assume you have a wire from the alt to switch, and other side of the switch back to alt. Wire charge jack to wires on each side of the battery. I also used a mono 1/8 AV jack. Lots of options. There is no right way. There are many premade charge harness assemblies for RC if you search.

I primarily used servo leads as I have a lot laying around. You can take it out the side of a switch band or have it at the end of the bay which requires disassembling the rocket. Regarding the wiring. I assume you have a wire from the alt to switch, and other side of the switch back to alt. Wire charge jack to wires on each side of the battery. I also used a mono 1/8 AV jack. Lots of options. There is no right way. There are many premade charge harness assemblies for RC if you search.

Ok thank you.
My Altimeter is wired on the positive side by having the switch inline on the positive and the negative direct from the battery to Altimeter.

Titan II

This is how my Altimeter is wired

Attachments

• 20220121_200414.jpg
    20220121_200414.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 25
It’s a legitimate concern. I don’t know the altimeter particularly but is it meant to be recharged while the battery is connected? Obviously a car battery is and maybe RC vehicles since they are continuously run. Rockets are straight up and down so would be surprised if the maker bothered to put protections in. Just my opinion…

So should that mean I have two switches to turn on for flight?

No.

A wire goes from one side of the battery to one side of the jack. The other side of the batt goes to the other side of the jack. I think you can take it from here. spma3000.jpgexra055f.jpgimages (1).jpg

It’s a legitimate concern. I don’t know the altimeter particularly but is it meant to be recharged while the battery is connected? Obviously a car battery is and maybe RC vehicles since they are continuously run. Rockets are straight up and down so would be surprised if the maker bothered to put protections in. Just my opinion…

Not at all a legitimate concern if you think about it.

Last edited:
So it would look like this?
Is the Altimeter ok get the negative charge during charging

Attachments

• 20220121_210451.jpg
    20220121_210451.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
So it would look like this?
Is the Altimeter ok get the negative charge during charging
There’s no “negative charge” during charging. The charging voltage must be greater than the battery voltage in order to force current to flow into the battery. The only question is whether the charging voltage might damage the circuit. If the power switch is open that’s not a concern.

Many systems use a SPDT switch on the power (common to the battery) so that the "off" position can be connected to the charger while disconnecting the power to the device. Generally it's on the positive side, the negative side can be common.

Back