Alternatives to Elmer's Glue All Max for Grain Bonding?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if this product is still made, or what is out there on Amazon is old stuff. Any proven alternatives?

Should I just buy Elmer's from an Amazon seller & not worry about it? Thanks!

I purchased a bottle on Amazon recently for grain bonding in Aerotech motors.

I have Loki motors that need bonding also but will follow there recommend bonding method.

I tried finding Elmer's glue all max local but was not successful. Gorilla glue has a similar amber color, low foaming multi surface glue. I was going to buy some of that and do a small test sample and compare to the Elmer's glue all max test I did.

It's listed on the Elmer's site still available in 4oz to 1 gallon.

Screenshot_20221002-211445_Chrome.jpg

Thanks! I'll buy a 4 oz. bottle through Amazon.

I suspect a number of folks would like to know your comparison of the foaming characteristics between the Elmer's and Gorrila products.

When I go to Amazon, it shows the product as "Sold by Amazon", "Shipped by Amazon", so it is not coming from a 3rd party seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045PS6K2
I have bought many bottles of this stuff using that Amazon link, as recently as last month with no issues.

Thanks! I'll buy a 4 oz. bottle through Amazon.

I suspect a number of folks would like to know your comparison of the foaming characteristics between the Elmer's and Gorrila products.

Glue-all Max is specifically a "low foaming" glue. It will foam up somewhat if the moisture content is high - either from water left in the liner or from high humidity - but it is still far, far lower than regular Gorilla glue. I tried Gorilla glue once and it foamed up so much, it cracked the phenolic liner. That has never happened to me with Elmer's Glue-All and I often leave the liner wet after washing it.

I have tried a lot of glues and epoxies to bond grains to liners and have not yet found anything better than Glue-All Max at that price point.

When I go to Amazon, it shows the product as "Sold by Amazon", "Shipped by Amazon", so it is not coming from a 3rd party seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045PS6K2
I have bought many bottles of this stuff using that Amazon link, as recently as last month with no issues.

Glue-all Max is specifically a "low foaming" glue. It will foam up somewhat if the moisture content is high - either from water left in the liner or from high humidity - but it is still far, far lower than regular Gorilla glue. I tried Gorilla glue once and it foamed up so much, it cracked the phenolic liner. That has never happened to me with Elmer's Glue-All and I often leave the liner wet after washing it.

I have tried a lot of glues and epoxies to bond grains to liners and have not yet found anything better than Glue-All Max at that price point.

I love Aerotech and buy a lot of stuff from them, but buying Glue-All Max at $6.50 per ounce plus a $34 shipping charge is kind of crazy. You are paying $50 for a $4.00 bottle of glue. The price on Amazon is $1.69 per ounce with free shipping.

I couldn't agree more..
That's why I sell it in the motor bonding kits that I made up..
The glue, gloves, a piece of plastic wrap for the nozzle..
I just put them in zip lock bags..
( I feel like I'm. forgetting something in the kit, lol )..
I just like to be sure I have what someone might need and forgotten on the field..

Teddy

Just received a 4 oz. bottle through Amazon- free shipping- and it looks nice & runny inside the bottle.

I have a L1520 to prepare for a November launch of this 8 1/2 feet tall version of The Far Side comic "Not Rocket Scientists". Nosecone on the floor next to the rocket. 8" diameter with a 12" diameter skirt on the fin section. 40 pounds at launch. A couple of Mobius camcorders will be attached.

All my launches, including a 1971 series of launches with a Kodak 8mm movie camera attached, are to be found on YouTube- search for jmomenee
https://www.youtube.com/user/jmomenee

Attachments

• IMG_6030_1.jpg
    IMG_6030_1.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 0
Back