Altair lunar lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Didn't know about this. Cancelled in 2010.

Altair (spacecraft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_(spacecraft)

Excerpt:

The Altair spacecraft, previously known as the Lunar Surface Access Module or LSAM, was the planned lander spacecraft component of NASA's cancelled Constellation program. Astronauts would have used the spacecraft for landings on the Moon, which was intended to begin around 2019. The Altair spacecraft was planned to be used both for lunar sortie and lunar outpost missions.[2] On February 1, 2010, U.S. President Barack Obama announced a proposal to cancel the Constellation program (except the Orion spacecraft), to be replaced with a re-scoped program, effective with the U.S. 2011 fiscal year budget.[3]
NASA developed only conceptual designs for Altair. No Altair spacecraft were built—plans called for a first landing on the Moon in 2018.[7]

Like the Apollo Lunar Module (LM), Altair was envisioned as having two stages. The descent stage would have housed the majority of the fuel, power supplies, and breathing oxygen for the crew. The ascent stage would house the astronauts, life-support equipment, and fuel for the ascent-stage motor and steering rockets. Like the Apollo LM, the Altair's crew cabin was based on that of a cylinder. Initially a horizontal cylinder, like that of the LM (despite the "boxy" appearance on the outside), current blueprints and computer simulations show the use of a vertical cylinder.[citation needed] Unlike its two-man Apollo ancestor, Altair was designed to carry the entire four-person crew to the surface, while the temporarily unoccupied Orion crew module would have remained in lunar orbit.

Altair was intended to be capable of operating away from Earth (in space and on the lunar surface) for up to 210 Earth days.[8] Altair would also be capable of flying unmanned missions,[8] as had been proposed with LM Truck concept during the Apollo Applications Program. Mission planners would have been able to choose among three distinct mission modes for Altair:[8]

Crewed sortie mode
Crewed outpost mode (with no airlock)
Uncrewed cargo mode, capable of transporting up to 15 metric tons to the lunar surface

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/289914main_fs_altair_lunar_lander.pdf

Altair Concept Artwork

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/altair/altair_concept_artwork.html

1001784main-lander-landed-2k3-1540315572.jpg

1181px-Altair_in_rocket_fairing.jpg

I remember this! It was 1979, I had just started teaching college, and the chem department had an Altair 8800b with 32K of RAM (Holy Wow!). Took me a long time to land the Lunar Lander the first time, but eventually I was able to land with a single burn...

Oh wait...

That's not what you're talking about...

<Cue Emily Latella> Never mind... ;-)

Best -- Terry

Back