3D Printing Alpha III fin can.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nosecone would be easy to print, but the trailing fins would be a pain to get any strength in to. Any fully printed fin can would probably only be single use.
Best bet would be maybe sheet ABS as the fin into a through the wall printed tailcone to incorporate the engine mount.
The original would be injection moulded. Probably ABS. You could print each fin as a half fin and that might work. So 6 half fins and a tailcone engine mount, joining up somehow. That would give a better printing orientation to allow you to define the strength better.
Norm
1654478659367.pngHere's what it looks like to save anyone else doing a search.....

...unless you are trying to print a fin can just to say you did it... In the case of an up-scale, your best bet is to print individual fins that TTW the body tube into the mount (as mentioned by Norm). For smaller scales, print a fin "blank" that can be used as a template to cut out balsa fins. It works remarkably well and you only need to print one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2840419

Thanks for the replys, but I really just want to print it as a unit. I haven't found a matching nose cone either. I thought with all of the nose cone stl. files there would be one.

Thanks for the replys, but I really just want to print it as a unit. I haven't found a matching nose cone either. I thought with all of the nose cone stl. files there would be one.
Give me nosecone length. Tube OD, Tube ID and mating length that you want and I'll generate one for you as a preset in the nosecone generator for SCAD

1654574628447.png
STL slices ok in CURA. Says it's not watertight but slices OK for a full print. 3H 38mins to print.
1654576091838.png

Attachments

• EstesAlpha_III-BT60_FinCan.stl
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back