Alone at work.... *blerg*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Well here I sit, broken hearted, tried to work but only surfed the web.

Now for the backstory. Today is a federal holiday, President's Day, and we (state employees) are off. However, the state legislature is in session so some unfortunate soul must man the phones at each office. SInce the Llama Bite incident I have been short on leave so I took the phone duty. It is a pretty sweet deal, if we work on a holiday we get paid 8 hours regular time AND get 8 hours Holiday time to take later.

Bored, bored, bored....
Think I'll pick my toe nails...
:bangpan:

I'm a County worker myself. Worked for the last two weeks because of snow. Finally got some time off this weekend because of the holidays. More snow tonight so I just called in some workers to start at 8:00 pm. Yeah the overtime is great (I take comp time) but to stare at the same 4 walls for days on end makes one crazy. Oh yeah, when you do get time to go home to rest you have to dig yourself in and out of the snow first.

Here in Indiana we (state employees) don't get off for President's Day.
We get Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday, but get one after Thanksgiving and the other either before or after Christmas.

We were also the state that had our Legislature set the value of pi at 3.0:cyclops:

President's Day?

Isn't that the clear your left-over from last year's inventory with sales that really aren't sales day?

Yeah, I'm watching the clock as well.....

President's Day?

(Channelling Cliff Clavin)

Here's some trivia to annoy others with this time of year. The Federal Holiday is (still) "Washington's Birthday." It's been renamed "Presidents Day" by some state governments, but it's still good old "Washington's Birthday" to the Feds.

-- Roger

We had school today, so I was on the bus, as usual... :bangbang: My wife's school on the other hand had the day off.

Course she got MLK day off too-- we had school that day as well, though a bunch of my kids weren't on the bus morning or afternoon that day (care to guess which ones??) I didn't think it was legal to have school on THAT holiday...

We don't get any days off until Spring Break. That sucks. My wife says we got all our days off in the fall-- maybe she's right, but I don't recall.

We DO have an early release and a Friday off for the stupid "youth fair" here in town (the town fair made up especially so the town's rich kids/ kids with the right last name can "compete" and sell their livestock without having to actually compete at the county fair or Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and risk having their behinds handed to them for a hat... sorta "keepin' it in the family" so to speak, since the "youth fair" is STRICTLY for THIS town).

Still, I'll take a day away from other people's frigging kids any time I can get it! OL JR :)

Here in Indiana we (state employees) don't get off for President's Day.
We get Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday, but get one after Thanksgiving and the other either before or after Christmas.

We were also the state that had our Legislature set the value of pi at 3.0:cyclops:
\

My memory is that it was introduced, disputed by someone more knowledgeable, and never made it out of committee. The oft-repeated story is just slander by Illini to take our minds off the paddy-wagon that keeps running between the governor's mansion and the federal pen.

Sam

Layne, as a former NY state employee of 25 years, I feel your pain! :D

But I didn't even have internet access. :rolleyes:

MarkII

Well, the day did end with a bang.
Trudy dropped by this afternoon with a blanket, balloons and sanmmiches so we had a picnic in the office!

:wave:

This was the best Valentines Day ever....

As an employee of a government contractor, we get floating Holidays. We can take them whenever we want. If we don't take them on the day of, we work that day. It's really not too bad working on the government holiday. We get to wear casual dress (jeans and a collared shirt) and there's no govies to get in the way and mess things up. We actually get twice as much productive work done in half the time.

Latest posts

Back