ALOHA from Hawaii!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Ok, kinda rocketry related since I am on a mission to fly the Tour de Deuce here. :D I figured I'd rub it in too since this place is fantastic. The first snag I've run into is that WalMart does not carry ANY rocketry related products except for the Estes Air powered stuff. :( My girlfriend did call around and found that the local hobby shops do have Estes motors in stock. I'm in luck. I think I am going to improvise on a 12V controller (ie - 2 pieces of wire and a battery) and a launch pad (rod in 2"x4" wood w/ red Hawaiian dirt).

Yesterday I attended a Cherokee Indian naming ceremony where new members of a tribe are given a name. My girlfriend's mother has roots to the Native Americans so we were all welcomed and invited to attend. Aside from the ritual dances and music that was going on, I surveyed the land and thought to myself - "This is PERFECT for a pair of Deuces to fly on!" I've attached a picture for all to see. This property is not an Indian reservation, but rather, is owned by a Hawaiian local. My girlfriend's mother offered to call ahead and make certain we could gain access to the farm. Hopefully this works out! As for the "trees" seen in the far distance, they are all dwarf trees and shrubs and only stand about 5-6ft tall. The only ones capable of gobbling up a rocket have many limbs and are very climbable. (I actually climbed one for fun. ;) ) See attached picture. (Only concern here is that there are horses. :eek: )

Ok, I had to show off this picture. (see attached) I spent the day yesterday on Hawaii's famous North Shore. Although I didn't get to see much surfing action, I did get a chance to walk on the beach and hear the waves crash. Along my walk I saw two mammoth sea turtles hanging out on the sand for a sunbath. Out in the water, the massive swells can cause 35-45ft waves (and larger). I personally don't have any plans to swim on the N. Shore as the currents and riptides are something fierce. Only pro surfers are permitted to go out there. I guess in the past they've had too many tourists naively think they can handle a 30ft wave and unfortunately end up drowning. Not the kind of vacation I want to have.

Today's agenda calls for some underwater snorkeling at the famous Hanauma Bay. Ever seen a saltwater aquarium? Well I'll be swimming in a HUGE one! Yep, I'll be praying for no shark encounters!

I'll drop in when time permits and give some updates on the Tour de Deuce and on my nice vacation away from Florida. (LOL, some of you must be thinking "Florida is nice enough and now the bastard is in Hawaii!")

Take care all and hang 10.

Good to hear you made it alright Eugene, good luck with the flights!

Sounds like a blast eugene! Have to admit I'm a tad jealous :) Try not to get eaten and keep up the reports.

Here's one of those large sea turtles. This one was marked with a transmitter. Apparently, there is a research study going on to learn more about the reasons why their population is in decline. If you ask me, the reason is simple - humans. Duh! Well, have a look at the human (me) posing next to the turtle. I took my snapshot and left this fella alone.

You should be an expert on sea turtles being from Fla. When we were in Marco Island last summer there were 'turtle police' (my name no theirs) who would cordon off their nesting sites, patrol the beach at night, and make nast phone calls if you didn't draw your shades at night (would disturb the turtles).

Awesome dude, looks like a good time. on Vacation in a super nice place and launching rockets. what could be better

When my wife and I went to Mexico a few years ago (Puerta Villarta) there was an area of the beach fenced off with chain link fence. This was an area full of turtle eggs incubating!

The area was right next to a beach bar by our hotel.

Talking to the bartender he showed me the big red alarm button. When the eggs start to hatch he is supposed to hit the alarm.

Volunteers will come running to assist the baby turtles on their journy from the nesting site to the water. He said the volunteers all bring umbrellas to hide the turtles as they are walked to the water. This is to keep the firgate birds away!

Way cool!

Originally posted by rstaff3
You should be an expert on sea turtles being from Fla. When we were in Marco Island last summer there were 'turtle police' (my name no theirs) who would cordon off their nesting sites, patrol the beach at night, and make nast phone calls if you didn't draw your shades at night (would disturb the turtles).

Nah, not a particular expert, but I am aware of some of the turtle conservation practices and some of the reasons why they are declining. In a nutshell, the nightclubs, bars, tourists, etc are creating artificial light which is causing the turtles to crawl the wrong way upon hatching. I've also heard that foreigners find turtle eggs to be a delicacy. (Sickos!) Along the beaches of Florida you will come across nesting sites which are cordoned off. The fines are hefty if caught walking near them or in their nesting areas.

While here on the beach, I found this sign only as I was walking back towards the car. I had to brush all the sand off of it just to take this picture.

EDIT: In case some of you are wondering what the heck I am doing on TRF and not at the beach, everyone decided to go grocery shopping. Access to the computer where I am staying is very limited because everyone else has to check Email or do other business on it. It's kinda nice to just have the window open and do some morning postings before the day's activities. I'll chime in either this evening or tomorrow with more pictures hopefully.

Originally posted by jflis
ok, now just on general principle...

...when Eugenio gets back, if you see him, smack'em...

:D :D :D

Gladly! :D ;)

Having fun yet?

Those pics are awesome, Eugene...I am definately going to Hawaii at some point!

What the heck is the difference between Hawaii and Hawai'i? I remember reading it SOMEWHERE...I just don't remember what the difference is, exactly. :confused:

Jason

Looks fantastic Eugenio :cool:

Looking forward to some rocket flights too :)

Have fun!

Ya'll crack me up with the bikini goddess pics! LOL...

At any rate, yesterday I made a contact at the local hobby shop. He had the newsletter of a local NAR group. Unfortunately, the last publication date was back in May. Only 2 Email addresses were listed on there for contacts. Upon my initial attempt to invite them, one of the Emails bounced back as undeliverable. So far I've left a voicemail on 3 of the phone numbers listed in the newsletter with no response. Hopefully someone will get back with me. The tentative "Tour de Deuce" Hawai'i launch date is on the 26 (this Friday). A local park's field has been scoped out and is perfect for mid-power E-G rockets. It should be plenty for the DW's on C6s.

While here I've gotten quite a accomplished both rocketry and vaction-wise. I went snorkeling the other day. Got to see some really cool marine life up close.

I've also been fortunate to have my own set of wheels to cruise around in. My girlfriend's sister has a nice new car and she gladly lets us use it so long as we drop her off and pick her up from work. See attached. I think you'll like it. ;) :cool:

dcp_0092.jpg

...here's a picture of the snorkeling site. For those of you that have been to Hawai'i, it's called Hanauma Bay. It's a natural preserve designated for visitors to snorkel and dive. I took some underwater shots...I'm just hoping they come out since the day was overcast at times.

I will continue to drop my Tour de Deuce Hawai'i updates in here as well as some scenic pics as well. Enjoy!

hanaumabay.jpg

Originally posted by eugenefl
Ya'll crack me up with the bikini goddess pics! LOL...

See attached. I think you'll like it. ;) :cool:

Eugen great looking car, but I have to admit, I expected to see a pic of your girl friends sister.:(

Originally posted by TwoWalks
Eugen great looking car, but I have to admit, I expected to see a pic of your girl friends sister.:(

Sorry to disappoint TwoWalks. In the meantime, go to Google images and type in an adult flavored word. Enjoy! :D

Sorry to disappoint TwoWalks. In the meantime, go to Google images and type in an adult flavored word. Enjoy! :D

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll pass ... just not my thing. :)

Sorry if what I said was taken the wrong way - I meant a normal type picture of the sister with car or without car. So much for communication with the written word, often taken the wrong way from the way its meant. Again I apologize.

Enjoy the vacation, Hawaii is a beautiful place with great people.

LOL!

Be careful what you type in a search or on the web address thingy at the top!

My brother-in-law was searching for a web site at work and typed what he thought was an innocent web address...my wife worked for him at the time and he came running into her office with a terrified look on his face begging my wife to help him get "THAT" off of his computer.

Those sites seem to have a lot of "persistant" pop-ups that are darn near impossible to stop.

sandman:D

in school we were tryin out everyones name.com

joey.com was a site for gay and lesbians

james.com was a search engine

omar.com was a search engine

when it came to danny.com... well yeah... we got in a bit of trouble...

That is the nice thing about Linux... you have a command prompt open... have the command "kill netscape." ... and if you get the "pop-ups from hell", then execute that command. Anything associated with the application will immediatly be terminated. Netscape also have a nifty connection icon, when you click it, it severs the internet connection. I don't know if the newer versions of it do that though...

The best thing is not to look at those sites (I don't), but sometimes you make a typo when typing in an address...

...here's a picture of the snorkeling site.

What?!?!? A snorkeling site with no bikini goddesses?!?!? ;)

TwoWalks - look up the Tour de Deuce thread. It's in the Events section. Your answer is there.

Originally posted by TwoWalks
Eugene, when is the Deuce launch scheduled?

TwoWalks,

If you look closely at mine and Jason's (jetra2) signature line, he and I both update the status of the Tour de Deuce regularly. Also, as KenParker suggested check up on the Tour de Deuce thread in the Events forum regularly as there is always an ongoing discussion as to the project's progress there. Photos and individual flight reports can be found on the Tour de Deuce homepage. (See www.fliskits.com for more info on the Tour de Deuce homepage.)

It's 7:15am on this Saturday morning (27th) and we're getting ready for the day. This morning's plan is to fly the Deuces!

Latest posts

Back