Almost Lost My Brand New Altimeter 2.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
Today I decided to test my brand new Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 that I got for my Birthday. I chose the Estes Amazon for the maiden flight of the payload. So I went to my local park and decided to launch on one side of the field( the side were the wind{5-10mph} was coming from) to allow drift. I even gave it a little tilt into the wind but nothing over 5 degrees. Turns out the amazon does not drift very far even in wind. And it got stuck in a tree in the worst possible place. The tree it was in was completely surrounded by very thick brush, most of witch was thorn vines( I hate Texas plants) I was not going to go home without my altimeter so I powered through the thorns and climbed the tree to get my rocket. I recovered the rocket, altimeter, and data so a mission success. But I also got a bunch of scratches. It looks like I got into a fight with a mob of cats XD. So I guess my message to you is that the Estes Amazon does NOT drift very far in wind.
20160815_140536.jpg20160815_131222.jpg20160815_140709.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. How high did it go?:confused2::tongue: Kurt

Apogee: 212 ft
Top Speed: 61 mph
Thrust Time:2.48 sec
Peak Acceleration: 6.36 g
Average Acceleration: 1.16 g
Coast to Apogee. 2.3 sec
Apogee to ejection Time: 1.1 sec
Ejection Altitude: 200 ft
Decent Rate: 9 mph
Flight Duration: 19.2 sec

Something does not seem right with the data. I have confidence that the data is correct... But the Amazon is supposed to have a max altitude of 500 ft according to Estes.... and I used a C6-5 witch is supposed to burn for 1.8 sec... not 2.48. And I did notice some left over fuel in the motor after recovery. The same happened to the other C6-5 from the same pack. I have one more so I will test it to see if its a faulty pack of motors.

I have a gut feeling the wind was a bit higher than you guesstimated, and as you angled your rocket into the wind, perhaps a bit more than your thought, the rocket weather-cocked into the wind so it did not achieve the altitude you expected.

Back