Almost Like Being There (Cape Canaveral)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryQuinn

Reaction score
OK, so it's not exactly the same, but I made a utility that will output OpenRocket simulated flights in Google_Earth format. This allows you to see/rotate/zoom in 3D your flight profile. I allow you to enter any lat/long position for your launch pad. The first two pictures below show flights from the FoxValleyRocketeer home launch field in Woodstock, Illinois. (One is an unstable flight, the other shows a variety of launch rod angles on a windy day with the same rocket. The circles show a 500' dia and 1000' dia radius.)

Then for fun, I changed the launch site to pad 39A at Canaveral......

-Kerry

launchsite_openrocket.jpg

unstable_openrocket.jpg

pad39a.jpg

Greg -
I'm happy to share. You would need to download Google Earth first.
Then you can use the "OPEN" feature in Google Earth to load in the *.kml
file created by my utility My utility is written in python. The python source code is attached along with the directions to use it and a sample *.kml file.

I have a compiled version for 32-bit Windows that I can email to you if you'd like (it is around 4MB). Send me a PM with your email address if you'd like a copy.

-Kerry

PS: The utility also creates 1:1 scale fin and transition templates from OpenRocket models that you can print out.

View attachment orutilpath.zip

Kerry,

Lots o' questions:

Can you post a sample of what the OpenRocket output file looks like?

Also, I need to know which of the check boxes on the OpenRocket's output file are supposed to be checked. You then take the OpenRocket output file and perform a drag-n-drop onto the .exe file? Do I have this right?

Greg

Hi Greg -

The entire process works like this:

1) use OpenRocket to create a model and then to fly it.
2) From OpenRocket use SaveAs.... make sure to check the box that says "Simulated Data to Store / Store every 0.2 seconds"
3) Uncheck the box that says "Compressed Format"
4) Save your model. It will be an *.ork file
5) If you are using Windows, get the executable program from me - it comes as a zip file. Unzip the program into a new file folder. Move the *.ork into that file folder
6) double click on the ORutilpath.exe file to run it. It opens a text window and asks you a couple questions (the name of your *.ork file, and the latitude and longitude of your launchsite.
7) The utility takes a few seconds to run and it creates a file with the same name as your *.ork file, but with the extension *.kml
8) start up Google earth, From inside Google earth, click on "OPEN" and then point the program to the *.kml file you just made.

PM me if you want me to email you a copy of the utility if you are using Windows.

Note: if you just want to test it out, unzip the file below, there is a *.kml file in there already, you can then start at step 7 above.

(Here on TRF, I can't post files with *.ork *.htm *.kml file extensions, so I took these three files and zipped them into the attached file. In the attached zip file you will find a sample OpenRocket Model ddeploy.ork, and the output from my utility: ddeploy.htm which shows a fin template and fin alignment guide you can view/print out using Internet Exporer and a file called ddeploy.kml which you can load into google earth. The resulting view in Google Earth looks like the attached picture. This example shows the same rocket and wind, but launched at 0, 10 and 20 degrees launch rod angle.)

-Kerry

View attachment ddeploy.zip

dualdeployexample_woodstock(0_5_10degLRA).jpg

Last edited:
Back