Almost forgot something

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I was excited to get my build finished so I could start painting and I forgot something. What did I forget? the launch lug.
I was so excited to get through with the fin fillets and balsa sealing and sanding that I quickly put on a coat of primer to see where I was with the finishing. Then last night I realized it had no launch lug. Our weather was warm yesterday and very cold today so I wanted to get my first coat of primer on yesterday. At least I can sand the primer off where I need to and put on the launch lugs.

With low power, my forgotten lugs stick just fine to paint or primer. Maybe I'd sand a little line, but not much.

At least you caught it before walking out to the rail.

I still occasionally forget to add a launch lug. Sometimes I don't discover it until I'm at the pad. :rolleyes:

I still occasionally forget to add a launch lug. Sometimes I don't discover it until I'm at the pad. :rolleyes:
Yup - been there! But ever since I put a zip top bag of assorted lugs in my range box next to the tube of CA it hasn’t happened again - like taking an umbrella when the chance of rain is 51% 😆

I was excited to get my build finished so I could start painting and I forgot something. What did I forget? the launch lug.
I was so excited to get through with the fin fillets and balsa sealing and sanding that I quickly put on a coat of primer to see where I was with the finishing. Then last night I realized it had no launch lug. Our weather was warm yesterday and very cold today so I wanted to get my first coat of primer on yesterday. At least I can sand the primer off where I need to and put on the launch lugs.
Is there anyone who has built a decent number of LPR rockets who has *not* forgotten a lug at least once?

I could brag that I have never forgotten a lug on a payloader that has a larger dia payload than the main body tube, but I don’t want to sound too stand-off-ish.

Welcome to the club!

I once built 25 kits for a Cub Scout event. I realized about 25 minutes before our launch window opened that none of the Critter kits had lugs. Luckily I always keep lugs in the go kit. Hello CA glue!

Forgetting to install launch lugs or rail buttons certainly happens, especially amongst newcomers to the hobby. But an even more frequent offender is not drilling small pressure-relief holes in the body tube where the recovery components are kept. This is more important in high power rockets that will be going to higher altitudes. As the outside air pressure decreases, the air trapped inside the rocket needs a controlled way to escape. These holes need to be kept small - 1/8" will work - so that they don't interfere with proper operation of the ejection charge.
Bob Schultz

Latest posts

Back