Almost a glue thread; fin fillets using baking soda and CA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I've been prepping my rocket (temporary named "Rebuild") for a launch. I tried to core sample a runway several months back. The fins are stuck on very well, big internal fillets to both the body tube and engine mount. After sanding and re-spraying with primer, I noticed "cracks" along the fin roots. This is purely cosmetic, the fins are on tight and don't move. I got really lazy, and rather than taping off and laying down some nice epoxy fillets, I decided to try and use baking soda and CA. I put a sprinkle on the root and worked to back and forth to get it looking good, then with the aft pointing down, slowly dripped thin CA along the root. I got the tip of the bottle in the loose soda in a couple of places, but overall, I think it's good enough to fly, and will hold until I can a nice epoxy fillet. Still need to find the right paint.

fillet.jpg

Sorry about lousy phone picture, but you get the idea. Also notice the checking in the primer. More work will be needed.

Last edited:
Back