Allow myself to introduce... myself.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepredwarf

Reaction score
Hello all.
I just joined the wonderful world of rocketry a within the last couple o' weeks thanks to my brother (Max_Power004), who just rediscovered the hobby with full force.
I did several launches with him, and decided I wanted - no, needed - to give it a try too.
Currently I'm putting together a Gamma-Ray Payloader from quest, and I'm being very anal about it, because I want this thing to work! I'm doing a custom paint job as well, so we'll see how it all turns out.
As of now, I know very little about rocketry, so bear with me if I ask or say something rediculously stupid. I figure it's a good time to start out a new hobby anyway, because I was laid off like a week ago :eek: . What better way to use my time? Jobs are for suckers.

Originally posted by Lepredwarf
As of now, I know very little about rocketry, so bear with me if I ask or say something rediculously stupid.

Welcome......... You have found the best place in the world (at least for rocket stuff)...... Here, there is no such thing as a stupid question......... many, many great people here willing and able to answer questions.......

Of course, if you *do* ask a "stupid question" there are probably enough of us idiots who didn't even think to ask the question in the first place and who will be greatly educated by the answer provided by someone who learned about the "stupid answer" the hard way!

WW

Say, uh...are there any perks for referrals? huh? huh? I'm workin' on getting my girlfriend in here too, I may just wind up having my own little rocket club:D

Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry to hear you were laid off... cause rockets are like CRACK!!!!
Just don't take up a life of crime to support the habbit! You can make rockets out of all sorts of junk around the house.
Seriously though, you found a good place to hang out and learn.
Have fun!!!!

Sorry to hear you were laid off... cause rockets are like CRACK!!!!Just don't take up a life of crime to support the habbit! You can make rockets out of all sorts of junk around the house.

If it's like crack, and you can make rockets out of the junk around the house, does that make you a Junkie?

WW

Sorry to hear that you are without a job, that's tough any time. If you want to save a few $$$ buying your low-power supplies, use the 40% off coupon from the Michael's MJ Design advert insert in the Sunday newspapers. Most of the MJD stores carry rocket stuff, and most have the Estes 'Flight Pack' of two dozen A, B, and C motors (and igniters, and ejection wadding). Using the 40% off coupon you can get this item for around $27-28 and that is about the cheapest you will be able to get motors.
Another place for good prices is your local Wally World. They carry three-packs of 18mm motors (A, B, and C) for $5, and four-packs of 13mm motors (A and smaller) also for $5.
And pretty soon, Hobby Lobby should be running another half-price special on rocket kits. They do this every couple months, and there should be a sale maybe in the next month or so?
As far as dumb questions, I am not sure if they have all been asked already, so you might get a prize for coming up with any new ones. Actually, it will probably surprise you how soon you will be providing answers for someone ELSE'S newbie questions!

Max..

You have to make it into something she can relate too lol ..
Tell her it would be a great way for you two to "Spend time together doing something fun" and that "you want her to be apart of what your doing becuase you will enjoy it more if she is part of it". If you have to resort to telling her that if she tries it you will try something she likes to do. Lmao I bet you anything .. once she tries it she will want to keep doing it .... I tried and now im hooked! lol

Good Luck!

P.s. See if theres a launch anywhere near you and suggest you go together so she can see how cool it is!
Thats how hubby got me hooked. lol

Deb

Originally posted by Mrs.Bowhunter
Max..

You have to make it into something she can relate too lol ..
Tell her it would be a great way for you two to "Spend time together doing something fun" and that "you want her to be apart of what your doing becuase you will enjoy it more if she is part of it".
Deb

Boy, that stuff is gold!! Don't think I'll need it though, she has shown interest of her own volition! :D She's a little intimidated by building them though. I'll have to work on that.;) My sister has jumped right in though. She started out with a level two and it looks good! Yet to be flown though. We shall see....

I don't now about that. My husband used a similar line on me 15 years ago and now all we seem do is fight about who's turn it is to walk out and recover the rocket. (It gets hot around here come June).

Terri

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
(It gets hot around here come June).

Terri

Hot isn't the word:rolleyes: You gotta really love rockets to do this in the summer in muggy muggy HOT Houston, TX. and you can't even be near any trees, you're totally exposed! I haven't done it in the summer yet, but I know It'll be tough. (But it won't stop me.)

The secret is to keep cool. Don and I take plenty of bottled water. I drink it, he pours it over his head.

Terri

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been out of town, so I haven't gotten to work on my rocket much, but the paint job is lookin' boss. I'll post pics when I'm done, and better yet, I'll let you know how my first flight goes!!

That was awkward...
I'm using my brother's computer and I replied while he was still logged on.
Whoops!
Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been out of town, so I haven't gotten to work on my rocket much, but the paint job is lookin' boss. I'll post pics when I'm done, and better yet, I'll let you know how my first flight goes!!

Lepredwarf
Welcome aboard.
I can see now you will fit right in:)
It helps to be just slightly mad:D
(that's a compliment by the way)

**** you, Lepredwarf. That song's stuck in my head now. I'll have to resort to the H-bomb of song stickiness, and cue up "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, to get it out of there!

Originally posted by missileman
Lepredwarf
Welcome aboard.
I can see now you will fit right in:)
It helps to be just slightly mad:D
(that's a compliment by the way)

"Slightly" mad...
Yes, that's a nice way of putting it...

Back