I've had a problem for months that I was unable to figure out how to correct. Every Java application I ran resulted in the fonts for the menus rendering garbled, completely unreadable resulting in the applications be unusable for me, including OpenRocket. I tried everything I could think of. A few days ago I found a stackoverflow.com article that was similar and the work around corrected my issue. If anyone else has ran into this issue with Java programs rendering menu fonts mucked up this should help you correct the problem.
- Open your System information page and select Advanced system settings
- Select Environment Variables
- Create a new User variable for your user account
- The variable name should be _JAVA_OPTIONS
- The variable value needs to be '-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true' include the single quotes
- Click OK and launch your Java application, javaw.exe will pickup the options and the menu fonts should be correctly rendered