All-in-one range box

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewrt

26 hour/day parent
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been working on setting up my new range box. I wanted a rolling box that could carry everything including the pad and models since I need to be able to hold my daughters hand (and someday my son when he gets older) while around a parking lot and walk out to the open field. It was getting cumbersome borderline impossible trying to carry multiple things plus models and keep track of her. This is a Craftsman modular unit and the 3 different levels can each be removed and separated from one another. While I haven't had a chance to officially take it out yet I have rolled it around my dirt and gravel property a few days ago with promising results. Everything we need for our low power adventures. Homemade pad and controller with accessories in the bottom (still need some work on the pad storage). Models less than about 14" in the middle box with padding and removable tray holds extra motor packs too. The top box with the divided compartments holds motors, parachutes, wadding, spare recovery gear (snap swivels and shock cords), I use the mint tins on the left to store plugs in one and igniters in another. I also built this rack to transport larger models and doubles as a storage on the range, I use small rubber bands to secure the models on the rack.

IMG_20200711_150718.jpg

IMG_20200712_065745.jpg

IMG_20200711_150837.jpg

IMG_20200711_151223.jpg

IMG_20200711_151626.jpg

I found it useful to separate "tools" and "consumables" into separate containers.

consumables = LPR motors, igniters, wipes, grease, wadding, BP, etc.

Then HPR motors and cases usually went in a third bin, since they require a long, narrow tool box.

That is not a range box but your portable Tool Box/Rocket rack. Wow you bring a lot...but if you love bringing the kitchen sink....may Robert Goddard bless you......Really it is great. You are a genius with PVC.

I love the craftsman verastack setup. I use a milwaukee packout for work and love it but it's a bit pricey for my rockets. Currently using a 2 tool bag/box setup for range tools and engines. This makes me want to take things up a notch....lol

I can't seem to find that Craftsman Versastack at Lowes any where. I may have to go with the Husky version of it.
I like the husky version alot. its not as pretty as some of the others but its solid. Can't beat it for the price.

I can't seem to find that Craftsman Versastack at Lowes any where. I may have to go with the Husky version of it.

The link for what I bought from Lowes is below. I see it is low or out of stock. I wonder if they are changing the "package" deal. Might consider taking the sku to a store and ask an associate to look it up. The individual components are still for sale to mix and match whatever setup you would like. When I was buying mine I asked a store associate that I've known for a long time a couple questions about inventory and he told me that due to covid they are having some nation wide supply chain problems with items like this.

Package deal: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...ic-Metal-Wheeled-Lockable-Tool-Box/1001339738

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Plastic-Wheeled-Lockable-Tool-Box/1000578397

You inspired me mikewrt 🙂

I bought the Husky setup from Home Depot. Thanks for the great idea and pictures!
IMG_20200808_150154016.jpgIMG_20200808_150209875.jpgIMG_20200808_161032654.jpg

I've been using this box for carrying motors to the range, got it at Lowes (it wasn't on their website, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it there) for $20. So far, so good.

DSC02206.JPG

You inspired me mikewrt 🙂

I bought the Husky setup from Home Depot. Thanks for the great idea and pictures!

Looks great!

I put my setup to use a couple weeks ago. I use the middle box for a stool to sit on, works great!
I found that I needed to use a piece of blue tape to hold the nose cone on. Just don't forget to remove the tape if you prepared the recovery device and wadding ahead of time!

IMG_20200724_055132.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

I put my setup to use a couple weeks ago. I use the middle box for a stool to sit on, works great!
I found that I needed to use a piece of blue tape to hold the nose cone on. Just don't forget to remove the tape if you prepared the recovery device and wadding ahead of time!

Wise words....I accidentally discovered that I don't need wadding in my Saturn V by remembering to remove the blue tape but forgetting to add wadding preflight and everything turned out just fine (no scorch marks to the rubber shock cord or the chutes). I also forgot to remove the 3D printed crew bridge from the launch tower before a flight this weekend, even after telling my friend to make sure I take it off after he took some pictures. The bridge does pivot, and it did a nice job riding the body tube transitions as liftoff occurred, but it couldn't escape the fin. Good news is the bridge got the worst of the damage and the rocket flew fine. 😵

Screenshot_20200810-151627.pngScreenshot_20200808-204424.pngIMG_5049.jpgIMG_20200810_152010.jpg

Looks great!

View attachment 427443
Is the orange box a launch controller for HPR????

I've been using this box for carrying motors to the range, got it at Lowes (it wasn't on their website, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it there) for $20. So far, so good.

Harbor Freight sells that exact one and I use it for my motors too. It works well.

Edit: The Harbor Freight one doesn't have the same setup of bins but it's close. The one you have has more smaller bins, which I would like for separating out my 13mm better.

Last edited:
Is the orange box a launch controller for HPR????

Yes it is my launch controller. To date I have only used it on LPR as that is all I currently fly. I designed it to be used on MPR also if/when I'm ready to take that step. I don't see why it couldn't be configured for HPR but considering the further standoff distances I think a wireless job would be more convenient.

For my LPR I picked up one of these tool boxes from Harbor Freight. I've had it for a couple of years and it works quite well. I keep my engines, igniters, and igniter plugs. It has a tray when you open it up where I keep my most commonly used tools & items, and lift the tray out & you have some decent storage for larger items. Can't beat the price! $9.95

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-...-inch-toolbox-with-top-compartment-66491.html

I have been working on setting up my new range box. I wanted a rolling box that could carry everything including the pad and models since I need to be able to hold my daughters hand (and someday my son when he gets older) while around a parking lot and walk out to the open field. It was getting cumbersome borderline impossible trying to carry multiple things plus models and keep track of her. This is a Craftsman modular unit and the 3 different levels can each be removed and separated from one another. While I haven't had a chance to officially take it out yet I have rolled it around my dirt and gravel property a few days ago with promising results. Everything we need for our low power adventures. Homemade pad and controller with accessories in the bottom (still need some work on the pad storage). Models less than about 14" in the middle box with padding and removable tray holds extra motor packs too. The top box with the divided compartments holds motors, parachutes, wadding, spare recovery gear (snap swivels and shock cords), I use the mint tins on the left to store plugs in one and igniters in another. I also built this rack to transport larger models and doubles as a storage on the range, I use small rubber bands to secure the models on the rack.

View attachment 424132

View attachment 424136

View attachment 424133

View attachment 424134

View attachment 424135
That's a pretty cool setup. However, a small suggestion - maybe fit some 45 degree elbows between the T-couplers and end caps on the body tube rests. That would hold the rocket more securely when you are carrying them with the frame fitted over the range box stack.

Nice work, though!

Back