Alien Worlds, Fantasy Planets, Real Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevindcornwell

Magma Mountain Rocketry
Reaction score
I am really torn between my love of building scratch rockets, designing rockets, designing aliens worlds, and flying rockets. Since I can't make up my mind — I won't. So here is a thread for all those who along with me look far beyond Mars when we take flights of fancy. Here are two of my recent creations. The rockets are real, the planet is just beyond the cosmic dust cloud.

If you enjoy making such images, perhaps we can share techniques, etc. All the rockets are correctly sim'ed and ready to fly. I make the images in part to showcase my rocket designs, in part because this is where my rockets take me.

WorldW8s.jpg World2s.jpg

Cool stuff :)

I had a co-worker that had a model train layout with nothing but sci-fi stuff on it.

An Earth city under seage by aliens, laser beams everywhere. The train was run by the invading aliens taking Earthlings to an experimental surgery centre :)

I am really torn between my love of building scratch rockets, designing rockets, designing aliens worlds, and flying rockets. Since I can't make up my mind — I won't. So here is a thread for all those who along with me look far beyond Mars when we take flights of fancy. Here are two of my recent creations. The rockets are real, the planet is just beyond the cosmic dust cloud.

If you enjoy making such images, perhaps we can share techniques, etc. All the rockets are correctly sim'ed and ready to fly. I make the images in part to showcase my rocket designs, in part because this is where my rockets take me.

View attachment 407298 View attachment 407299

Very fun! I like science fiction style rockets too. I think all of us who build these kinds of designs fantasize about climbing in one and flying off to other worlds.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that you have built flyable models of the rockets in these renderings. I like the images you’ve posted, and I’d love to see photos of the real-world versions too. I’m hoping they are true to scale with the astronauts!

Very fun! I like science fiction style rockets too. I think all of us who build these kinds of designs fantasize about climbing in one and flying off to other worlds.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that you have built flyable models of the rockets in these renderings. I like the images you’ve posted, and I’d love to see photos of the real-world versions too. I’m hoping they are true to scale with the astronauts!

They are absolutely true to scale if you set the camera angle up juuuuust right. ;-)

The dinosaur is an actual photo I shot while at one of the dinosaur digs in Nebraska(?) (I'll have to ask my wife which one, she remembers everything…) The hills are from a visit to Goblin State Park, and the rest is out of this world. Both rockets are sitting on my desk—I stole them from some really short aliens.

World6s.jpg World9s.jpg

Kevin,
Congratulations, I see your Solar Grappler plan made it to the pages of the latest Apogee newsletter.
Or is that another Kevin Cornwell?:D
Shaka, brah.

Kevin, what are the rows of dots for on the decals? Rivet patterns? They don't show on the finished rocket pictures.

Kevin, what are the rows of dots for on the decals? Rivet patterns? They don't show on the finished rocket pictures.

Yeah, Tim does a fantastic job setting up the presentations. Whatever software he's using, IDK, it's really clean and nice. I'm hoping it's V10 of Rocksim ;-)

Anyway, when they did their setup, they didn't put the decal on the design so that's why it doesn't show as intended. Here's what it's supposed to look like. Hope this helps. (click on it to open full-size.) The notion is that the rivet-look is circumferential. In this angle, the name covers up the lines (the lines are the weld joints -- like in the stacked rings for the SpaceX ship). In my build, I ran the decals (cut them out individually) around the circumference, spaced evenly from aft to fore. Then cut out the portion from each effected wrap-around line where the name decal was to go so I didn't have decal over decal.

MainS.jpg

We all create images of rockets taking off. We don't think much of them landing though with Space X, we should more often consider that phase of the flight. Alas, the more I look at it, the less obvious it is that it's landing. *sigh* I'm open to suggestions. :)

World4b.jpg

The Princess Aurora, a 4" stubby design. The build is in process now. Well, maybe tomorrow. If I can't find anything better to do... ;-)

World15s.jpg

An updated more realistic exploration.
I used the same 'terrain' shot (from my visit to Goblin State Park) as the terrain in this shot and the previous (Descending Rocket) shot. I changed the color, the proportions, and digitally moved the left side rocks closer to the camera.

Planet2s.jpg

Back