Alien Space Probe Build with modifications (#2038)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nicely done! If I built another one, I would definitely put in a 24mm motor mount.

Mark at Stickershock has a very nice set. I ran into the same problem, the stock decals disintegrated as soon as they came out of the water.

I bought his vinyl for this rocket, and they're top notch. Excellent quality and a spot on reproduction.

Had some time this afternoon to wrap this one up. I attempted to use the original Estes decals but as is typical with me and water slide decals, this once again was a complete disaster but this time it wasn't my fault. The decals were just old to use. About a week ago I received a bottle of Liquid Decal Film. I picked this up as a recommendation from a member here. I watched a couple of videos on using the product then taped down my decals and gave them two coats and let that sit for a few days. Once I dipped the decals in water they crumbled but I was left with a weird clear film that I'm going to assume was the decal film.

Not to worry. I planned ahead and had ordered some vinyl from Stickershock when I started this build.

Here is the finished product. Sprayed the vinyl with a little water so I could move them around if needed then used a little heat to warm them and get the water out. End result came out pretty nice. I wiped the rocket down with 50/50 water/alcohol then shot on two good coats of Duplicolor clear coat.

View attachment 541942View attachment 541943View attachment 541944View attachment 541945View attachment 541946
How was the flight?

How was the flight?

Flight was perfect. Flew it on a D12-3. Perfect straight flight with no weather cocking. Altitude was around 400ft. Landed safely on a 20" chute.

Going to fly it on an E12 next time for a bit more altitude. It's such a draggy rocket that I feel like I can put pretty much anything in it and keep it under 1000 feet. Might get brave and stick an E20 in it.

Mark at Stickershock has a very nice set. I ran into the same problem, the stock decals disintegrated as soon as they came out of the water.
I clear-coated mine, so they did come off the paper in one piece. I ran into trouble when I tried to make them conform to the curve of the body tube. They cracked and I wound up only using a couple of them.

Back