Alien Interceptor photos - post yours too!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
I'm calling it done! I've been very slow working on my Alien Intercept 38mm XL, the mostly-minimum diameter BT-60 sized kit from Mach1, over the last year. I'm pretty much unable to build a stock rocket, so I cut new fins out of 2mm carbon and changed the shape a little. The paint is cheapy Rustoleum rattle can enamel: White, Regal Red & Black.

I've done several iterations of this design style, starting with my Quicksilver about 5 years ago (my L1 cert rocket). This design is what I'll call inspired by that original Quicksilver paint job. It retains a few of the elements, but is mostly a new design - in the same style. I wanted it to be a more complex design. (Because...masochist?) That plus being on a smaller 38mm rocket meant this mask work was quite a bit tougher to do. I usually aim for about "10 foot" paint jobs; paint jobs that look good in launch photos, but aren't completely perfect up close. I wanted this one to be a little bit better, maybe a 2-5 foot paint job. I fly my rockets alot & they're going to get banged up, so that's my "good enough."

After some computer artwork, I put this in OpenRocket as my paint job goal...

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.06.23 PM.png
I cut a vinyl mask with my Cameo Silhouette 3 using EnduraMatte vinyl. Worked like a champ, as always.

IMG_1494.jpgIMG_1499.jpgIMG_1502.jpgIMG_1512.jpg
After primer & sanding, I shot the white base coat. After a few days waiting and sanding, the color went down. I shot red first, then the black fade. Peeling the mask is always entertaining. Gloves, X-acto knives, tweezers, acetone and please-no-sneezes. I had a couple bumps from, ummm, how shall I say this...my helper, but it all worked out.

(Yes, those are rail guides on an MD rocket. Sorry. Yes I know they're draggy and will get scratched up. Don't care. I wanted this one to be super easy to fly & it's not even close to an optimum design for max altitude, so rail guides it is!)

IMG_1527.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1576.jpgIMG_1584.jpg

Last edited:
I hit the 10 photo per post limit. Here's one more of mask stuff. No paint on the carbon fiber fins, because...carbon fiber.

IMG_1595.jpg
Unfortunately, I painted red too far back. A thin red line pokes out at my tape line between the carbon fins and the black fillets. Oops. I'm not overly skilled at rattle can fades & my in-the-back-yard paint booth isn't great, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I polished today as much as I care to. I think I have my 2-5 foot paint job.

I'm waiting on some custom electronics to get here from the fab shop, but the insides should go together quickly from here. I'm exited to fly it!

IMG_1863.jpgIMG_1845.jpgIMG_1877.jpgIMG_1866.jpgIMG_1867.jpgIMG_1889.jpg

Last edited:
Back