Airframe repair for level 1 cert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.
I have a question about repairing a area on my Loc hi tech H45 for my level 1.
I moved here to that USA 10 years ago and just went back to my homeland for a visit recently and brought back with me the above rocket I made. It was in a case padded and packed but homeland security didn't take care after inspecting it and completely broke off one of the launch lugs which is about 2 inches long. It's the forward one, not the rest launch lug.
It has torn off she off the tube covering and the small area is a bit soft to the touch.
What would be some ideas to repair it and be strong.

Thank you

I've gave a couple coats of sanding sealer and it's hardened it a bit more but I don't know if that is sufficient enough

Put a coupler inside. Mix up some 15 minute epoxy and thin it with a little acetone and paint the area. Let it harden then sand, fill and paint

Put a coupler inside. Mix up some 15 minute epoxy and thin it with a little acetone and paint the area. Let it harden then sand, fill and paint
Is there a way of making a coupler because I can't buy anything at the moment thank you

I had one idea of I could get some thoughts.
I was going to cut a balsa panel with rounded corners and epoxy it over the damage and then paint it to look like an access panel with the little rivets around it. Then it would happen if and also look like a panel you access something

Good Morning Scott;

What is the body tube diameter of that kit? (I looked on the LOC Precision site and see reference to a LOC Hi Tech that is 2.56" in diameter, is that your model?).

Asking because I have a length of LOC coupler for a 3" body tube that I'd be willing to send you at no cost. PM me if it'll work for your repair.

r/
Dave

Often times there is something in the way of an internal coupler. As thzero says utilize an external patch. Keep in mind it does not necessarily have to be a Rocketry product. A mailing tube, close to your rocket diameter, perhaps. Make a cut along the length and it will make it "adjustable" to a variety of tube diameters.

Mark C

Back