Airfoil Jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris TNR

Reaction score
It seems that I've been given the laborious task of sanding the Airfoils on all the Team members fins and I have a lot of them :rolleyes: I have a lathe that has a 7" disc sander on the opposite side of the drive center that I use for this task, and a jury made jig (set @7 degree angle) that can handle only smaller fins. Yep....I sand my fingers a lot too....

Unfortunately, this time around I have numerous large fins to sand airfoils on, and a new jig that will handle larger fins is definitely required.
Although I have a few ideas in mind, I still felt compelled to ask if anyone has any suggestions, or even references on how I might acquire drawings of one.

Thanks in advance............

NAR #84102
Team Nitrus Rocketry
Machinist

In the Works...........
8" Dia. Upscale Bulldog L3 Cert. Rocket
Known As: Bulldragon

Chris, Try looking over at rocketryonline.com, then link to their infocenter on the left. Then go to construction. There is a terrific article on a airfoil jig that I used for G-10 Talon fins. Use very fresh sanding disks and eye protection. Good luck! e-mail me and let me know how it worked or if you have any questions. - Peter

Peter: Boy is my face red :eek: The hundreds of times I have been on ROL and never thought about looking there. Geez.....:rolleyes:

My beveling jig is much smaller than this and his gives me an excellent visual on how to build it........Thanks :D

Hey Sandman....have you ever seen any other beveling jigs beside this one?
https://www.info-central.org/index.cgi?construction
Click on: Fin Beveling

NAR #84102
Team Nitrus Rocketry

In the Works...........
8" dia. Upscale Bulldog L3 cert. Rocket
Known as: Bulldragon

if you go to John Cokers website (the man who built that gorgeous fin Jig there) the article is much more in depth and has way more pictures to really give you a good idea of how to build it. plus, his site is just really neat, you should head over there and carouse around just for fun.

Back