AirFest XXVI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat, Necessary Evil needs to be reincarnated...Such a cool rocket. I can cut centering rings, bulkheads and a thrust plate on my CNC router if needed.

IF....there is a spare N motor laying around my arm could be twisted. The last time I flew "Lead Sled" on one of your N motors.... it's like the "lead" disappeared. Perfect flight!:)

Last edited:
I am planning to show up early and stay late. Like many of you I put in for this vacation as soon as possible. Looking forward to another spectacular launch.

Already made reservations for my third trip in three years out to the rocket pasture. Big change for me next year tho... Moving hotels to Anthony instead of Harper... :D
As for rockets, way too early to tell.

Well there goes the town!

Already made reservations for my third trip in three years out to the rocket pasture. Big change for me next year tho... Moving hotels to Anthony instead of Harper... :D

Just made mine at the same establishment. Sixth or Seventh time staying there.

We can plot ways to harass Tim. :)

-Kevin

Pat, Necessary Evil needs to be reincarnated...Such a cool rocket. I can cut centering rings, bulkheads and a thrust plate on my CNC router if needed.

IF....there is a spare N motor laying around my arm could be twisted. The last time I flew "Lead Sled" on one of your N motors.... it's like the "lead" disappeared. Perfect flight!:)

I may take you up on that Jim.
As for the motor, I have the hardware, the sleeves, the liners, the orings, and the chemicals needed. All that is lacking is some ole retired fireman geezer to show up at the ranch with beer to help me stuff the aforementioned
sleeves with the propellant of your choice.

I drink beer when I make propellant becasue anything over a G just scares the he(( outa me

Hoping to fly my Big Nuke Loc 3E there on 75mm K or L if I can get it completed this winter. I hope there is some big stuff launching there again, like the really BIG stuff!!

I may take you up on that Jim.
As for the motor, I have the hardware, the sleeves, the liners, the orings, and the chemicals needed. All that is lacking is some ole retired fireman geezer to show up at the ranch with beer to help me stuff the aforementioned
sleeves with the propellant of your choice.

I drink beer when I make propellant becasue anything over a G just scares the he(( outa me

Pat, the ole geezer will show up (with beer) at your leisure. ;)

Can someone tell me how the tower launched rockets at Airfest work. Do you build your tower first in the parking lot and then carry it out to the pads to stake it in the ground, or do you build it out at the pads? My tower might take me an hour or so to put together by myself. I would be in the way out at the pads doing this keeping people from launching their rockets. I've never been to Airfest before, so I'd like to know the process ahead of time. I could build it early in the day before anybody is ready to launch in the morning, or do it at the end of the day after launching is done for it to be ready the next day. Here's a pic of the tower I'm talking about. Of course with some help, it can be done quicker. I'm hoping we will still have Airfest this year.

20200328_161423.jpg

Can someone tell me how the tower launched rockets at Airfest work. Do you build your tower first in the parking lot and then carry it out to the pads to stake it in the ground, or do you build it out at the pads? My tower might take me an hour or so to put together by myself. I would be in the way out at the pads doing this keeping people from launching their rockets. I've never been to Airfest before, so I'd like to know the process ahead of time. I could build it early in the day before anybody is ready to launch in the morning, or do it at the end of the day after launching is done for it to be ready the next day. Here's a pic of the tower I'm talking about. Of course with some help, it can be done quicker. I'm hoping we will still have Airfest this year.

View attachment 411150
Either way works for us. If you want to build it at the pads, you will need to do it either before the range opens or after it closes (or the day before as several folks do). If those times don't work, you will need to build it somewhere near the away RSO area and then move it to the pads. Depending on how long it takes you to set it up, you might be asked to stop work for a bit and move back to a safe area so that we can fly rockets then you will be allowed to finish as soon as possible.

Either way works for us. If you want to build it at the pads, you will need to do it either before the range opens or after it closes (or the day before as several folks do). If those times don't work, you will need to build it somewhere near the away RSO area and then move it to the pads. Depending on how long it takes you to set it up, you might be asked to stop work for a bit and move back to a safe area so that we can fly rockets then you will be allowed to finish as soon as possible.

Thank You for explaining this to me. Let's hope that the pandemic is over as soon as possible! Looking forward to my first Airfest.

I posted this thread in the "National Events" forum in April. https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/airfest-26-2020.158638/ which was probably a boo-boo on my part. Let's resume any discussion here in "Regional Events" AIRFest XXVI topic.

I just want to make a quick update regarding AIRFest 26 held annually at the Nafziger Rocket Pasture near Argonia, KS ...

The dates for AIRFest on the schedule are September 4 thru 7, 2020. Right now, there is no change to that date.

As of April 1, 2020, there is no decision to cancel or postpone AIRFest 26. I will be posting an update to the AIRFest-specific web-pages by May 1, 2020 however we will not be accepting pre-registrations unless TRA launch restrictions and community, county, and state Stay Home orders have been lifted. Our web-site is https://www.kloudbusters.org

We will post updates here and on the KLOUDBusters Facebook page as important decision points are reached. Stay tuned.

Thank you all for your understanding. Please stay safe and healthy - we have a lot of rockets to fly!

This is our late May update for the resumption of KLOUDBusters launches and particularly AIRFest 26.

The State of Kansas is currently in a phased re-opening from COVID-19 restrictions for travel, commerce and gatherings. The initial target dates published appear to be subject to discretionary change by declaration from the governor. For example, Phase 2 was been modified and delayed and Phase 1.5 inserted. If you’re interested, click Reopen Kansas for more complete information on details of the State’s plan, the guidelines for each phase and probable dates.

That said, our next launch scheduled for Saturday July 11, 2020 is well outside what are the highly restricted phases for gatherings and travel. It is anticipated that the July Fun Fly will occur.

Most importantly, AIRFest 26 is scheduled for September 4 through 7, 2020 – dates well after relaxation of all restrictions; in fact, a couple months after. KLOUDBusters is anticipating that AIRFest 26 will occur without travel or attendance limitations. We will implement mass gathering, hygiene and social distancing safety protocols to a level of adherence as recommended by health and government officials. Details of those protocols and the responsibilities of attendees will be published as the event dates near and the recommendations dictate.

Some important information to be aware of right now for AIRFest 26 are:
  • High-Altitude Flight Approvals – folks planning on a flight above 23,000’ AGL must submit the KLOUDBusters Hi-Alt Application Form 30 days prior to the launch. This means before August 4, 2020.
  • Class 3 Approvals – folks planning a Class 3 rocket launch for AIRFest 26 must submit the KLOUDBusters Class 3 Submission Form to the KLOUDBusters Prefect a minimum of 60-days prior to the launch. This means Class 3 submissions must be sent to us no later than July 4, 2020. We are currently finalizing this submission form. Please stand-by.
Pre-Registration will not be opened until there is a very high degree of certainty that the launch can occur. That means that the Kansas plan to reopen is progressing well ahead of the launch. The expectation right now is about July 1, 2020. More details about processes and procedures will be forthcoming as the COVID-19 ramifications and response evolve. After all, there are over 3 months until AIRFest 26.

On a final note, contact was made with personnel from the county health department. The County has no restrictions in place beyond those of the State and doesn't not anticipate adding any. The individual I spoke with is familiar with our activity at the Nafziger Rocket Pasture and does not have concerns about our launches when conducted with State and CDC guidelines for hygiene and social distancing.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be working through AIRFEST this year, project wraps up too late for BALLS as well. Maybe some flying in Oct & Nov :-/

I'd love to be there, but with my age and pre-existing conditions, odds of me surviving a COVID-19 infection are less than 10%. I'm staying home for quite some time to come. I'll miss youse guys n gals. Specially Pat, whom I ain't seen in donkey's years. Hi Pat. Dunno if I'll recognize you. Memory issues.

Is the Harper Cobblestone closed? No I have not picked up the phone to call them yet. :)
Per their Facebook page:
"The Harper Cobblestone has temporarily closed its doors due to Coronavirus. The Anthony location is open and we are happy to assist you with any reservations that you may need. I can assure you that we are taking every precaution to ensure the health and safety of our guests and employees. To everyone who has been laid off a big thank you for everything that you have done and I hope that we will be opened back up very very soon! "

Per their Facebook page:
"The Harper Cobblestone has temporarily closed its doors due to Coronavirus. The Anthony location is open and we are happy to assist you with any reservations that you may need. I can assure you that we are taking every precaution to ensure the health and safety of our guests and employees. To everyone who has been laid off a big thank you for everything that you have done and I hope that we will be opened back up very very soon! "
Thank you sir. Hope to see you guys and gals in a couple months. :)

I'd love to be there, but with my age and pre-existing conditions, odds of me surviving a COVID-19 infection are less than 10%. I'm staying home for quite some time to come. I'll miss youse guys n gals. Specially Pat, whom I ain't seen in donkey's years. Hi Pat. Dunno if I'll recognize you. Memory issues.
Hi Terry,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I guess we are all getting older.
Just turned 65 today. Hanging out at the ranch this weekend with Retta, taking a break. Have been
buried with a backlog of off grid solar jobs (people who can are bugging out of big cities and buying land
in the frontiers of Texas). Plus I have another 21K lb AP contract to ship to Romania (they produce orbital nano
satellite launch systems for the UK). I am blending 90 and 200 u AP out of 50kg kegs, sifting, adding TCP, then putting that in 500 lb barrels before I ship. Been getting a lot of upper body exercise lifting AP buckets 🤣.

I plan on attending Airfest. Retta is retiring July 30, so it will be a celebration rocket launch. As for me retiring, Mark Clark told me I was really good at a lot of things, but at retirement I really suck!

Looking forward to seeing all you folks. Terry, please take care.

Pat G

As for me retiring, Mark Clark told me I was really good at a lot of things, but at retirement I really suck!

Pat, I'll consider you "retired" when you're down to one job!

Stay healthy - I look forward to seeing both of you! It's been too danged long!

-Kevin

Pat, I'll consider you "retired" when you're down to one job!

Stay healthy - I look forward to seeing both of you! It's been too danged long!

-Kevin
Thanks Kevin.

I figure I'm pretty much caught up on ranch improvements. (I practice what I preach, I used to pay a grand a month in electric bills, now they send me a check, see attached pic of the arrays.)

But word spreads. I am booked for six months of others solar installations. I may have to consider changing my phone number. Or, as Retta suggests, learn to make my head go sideways instead of up and down.....image2.jpeg

Back