EVENT AIRFest 28, Sept. 2-5, 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled out the rockets we are taking to Airfest this year:
2022-08-23 Airfest rockets.jpg

Top to bottom:
Wayco's 6" Wildman Ultimate Darkstar "Redline" on AT N3300 Redline. Flight #7

Sharon's 6" Ultimate Wildman "Grand Optimist" on research 98/10,000 Don Alexander slow white.
Purchased from Poker Jones, his L3 rocket. Flight #5

Sharon's 6" RW Stinger on research 76/3600 "Not your wimpy red" L1165. Flight #15

Wayco's L3 rocket. 4" Wildman Darkstar Extreme "Red-tailed Extreme" on a research 76/6000 "Not your wimpy red" M1978. Flight #22

Sharon's 4" Wildman extended Punisher "Cuddle Monster" on a research 76/6000 Don Alexanders slow white M1244. Flight #10

Wayco's 4" Wildman Bad Dog "Big Bad Dog" on a research 76/3600 "Not your wimpy red" L1280. Flight #5

Sharon's 4" Jimbo Jart on research 54/1050 "Not your wimpy red" K607. Flight #30

Wayco's 3" Wildman Darkstar "Blackstar" on research 54/2550 Don Alexanders slow white L1241. Flight #39

Sharon's 3" Wildman Darkstar on a research 54/2550 "Not your wimpy red" L1659. Flight #29

Wayco's 3" Mad Cow Avalanche on a research 54/2000 Don Alexanders slow white K644. Flight #12

Wayco's 3" Wildman extended Punisher "Fast Freddy" on a research 54/2000 "Not your wimpy red" K916. Flight #15

Last edited:
Pulled out the rockets we are taking to Airfest this year:
View attachment 533869

Top to bottom:
Wayco's 6" Wildman Ultimate Darkstar "Redline" on AT N3300 Redline. Flight #7

Sharon's 6" Ultimate Wildman "Grand Optimist" on research 98/10,000 Don Alexander slow white.
Purchased from Poker Jones, his L3 rocket. Flight #5

Sharon's 6" RW Stinger on research 76/3600 "Not your wimpy red" L1165. Flight #15

Wayco's L3 rocket. 4" Wildman Darkstar Extreme "Red-tailed Extreme" on a research 76/6000 "Not your wimpy red" M1978. Flight #22

Sharon's 4" Wildman extended Punisher "Cuddle Monster" on a research 76/6000 Don Alexanders slow white M1244. Flight #10

Wayco's 4" Wildman Bad Dog "Big Bad Dog" on a research 76/3600 "Not your wimpy red" L1280. Flight #5

Sharon's 4" Jimbo Jart on research 54/1050 "Not your wimpy red" K607. Flight #30

Wayco's 3" Wildman Darkstar "Blackstar" on research 54/2550 Don Alexanders slow white L1241. Flight #39

Sharon's 3" Wildman Darkstar on a research 54/2550 "Not your wimpy red" L1659. Flight #29

Wayco's 3" Mad Cow Avalanche on a research 54/2000 Don Alexanders slow white K644. Flight #12

Wayco's 3" Wildman extended Punisher on a research 54/2000 "Not your wimpy red" K916. Flight #15

That's all? :D
:cool::cool:

Are we ever looking forward to this launch..
This is the most fun you can have at a rocket launch period..
It seems like the entire rocketry country puts together a super special build just for this launch..
For the entire launch, every time the LCO says something no matter what you're doing
everyone stops and says, wait, what, what did he just say.. That MUST be a mistake..
All weekend long..
Why else would folks drive halfway across the country for a launch...

Teddy

lol you people wringing your hands over a changing LONG RANGE forecast...Y'all think this is bad try flying rockets in the winter just east of Lake Michigan. Forecasts change so much you'd think the NWS was on meth.

When it rained last year, we saw the epitome of what makes rocketry fun - people out on the range, talking, laughing, having a good time, despite the fact that cloud cover prevented anyone from flying. Even without Jason & Tim and the table, everyone present still would've had a good time.

-Kevin

Looking forward to my first Airfest! Sounds like it is going to be amazing - I don't have anything big rockets to fly but I am looking forward to seeing big stuff from other fliers.

We are travelling from Ohio and planning to camp onsite, arriving early Thursday afternoon with a 25' travel trailer. I know there is no water onsite, does anyone know if there is a place to fill up the water tanks anywhere nearby in Argonia or Wellington or...?? We could fill up at the last campground inbound but I prefer not to if I don't have to.

Also never having been to airfest and never having camped at a rocket launch - any advice about what to bring or not bring? lessons learned from others that have camped onsite, etc?

Randy

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to Airfest Randy! We have been coming to this event since 2013, and it's on our DO NOT MISS THIS EVENT list. I'm not gonna post up Sharon's six page Access data base list because it would tell you how "out there" we are, but I can give you some insight on what to expect when you arrive at the Rocket pasture.
The Kloudbusters put on (what I believe is) the best launch ANYWHERE. Some of my comments might seem negative, but with a big event like Airfest, there are compromises, and this club has a lot of experince dealing with big crowds and all the stuff that happens at this event. So please don't take my comments as any kind of complaint. Any inconvieniece that you may incur will be more than compensated by the wonderful experience that is Airfest.
We used to come early to get a good spot, but now we come early to spend time with all our friends before it gets really crazy on Friday. Unless you are in a "special" catagory, travel trailers are relagated to what I call the "South 40".
So, when you turn into the pasture, take that right turn wide to avoid the shallow ditch, which is usually marked. The first 1/4 mile or so is reserved for club members and vendors, so keep heading South. By the time you get there on Thursday, there will be A LOT of people already set up, including the Texas contingent, which is huge, and mosty on the left side of the road in. About half way down there is are several large trees against the fence line on the right. That's where the first travel trailers park, and those are usually the rentals, so keep heading South. The rentals seem to have the loudest generators, so if you want any semplance of quiet, you will end up with us in the South 40. There are no restrictions on generator usage, and some folks run theirs 24/7 due to the heat, so keep that in mind when you choose a campsite. We put ours out in the field to the East, as far as our power cord will reach.
You will probably drive by our site, marked by the Arizona flag and a big tie dyed wind streamer. This was our site in 2019. They asked us to park perpindicular to the road to help with the huge crowd we had for LDRS.

IMG_0266.JPG
Our Stealth toyhauler and GMC Sierra are there on the left, and the Texas compound is just starting to setup in the middle there.
Please stop by on your way in, we come early just so we can spend time and talk to old friends and all the new friends we meet here every year.
Oh yeah, we haul our water from home, it helps with our tongue weight, and our truck doesn't seem to care how much weight we tow....

Thanks Wayco for all great info!

I have another question - since it appears that we will be pretty far away from the flight line, I assume I can bring a canopy and table to setup a bit closer when prepping my rockets and such. This is how it was done at NARAM (which I went to last year).

-Randy

I have another question - since it appears that we will be pretty far away from the flight line, I assume I can bring a canopy and table to setup a bit closer when prepping my rockets and such. This is how it was done at NARAM (which I went to last year).

Nope. There likely won't be room to do so - pretty much the entire flight line will be filled with where people have their canopies set up.

Walking the flight line is a great opportunity to stop and see what people are doing, chat with them, etc. Also, the central part of the flight line is where a lot of vendors are, so you can check out all the goodies that might catch your eye.

Edit: You may find some folks with closer spots who are willing to let you join them for rocket prep, as well. Never hurts to ask! You'll find the folks there are all incredibly friendly.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Kevin is right Randy, begging a shady spot on the flight line is your best bet for watching the show. If you're flying, prep early and be ready to fly when the waiver opens. I know Bob loves to see me bring a rocket to the fliers briefing....
Being a visiting flier with a travel trailer puts you at the bottom of the pecking order. Vendors take up a lot of the premo spots, and the Texas compound is huge! Some of the Kloudbusters park fairly close, but a lot of them are working their butts off, and rarely get to fly at all.
Back when we first started to come to Airfest, it was first come for the best slots. In 2014 we camped right next to Wildman:

IMG_0641.JPG

Haven't seen Gus for a few years now, but I think he set up his L3 rocket right in front of Wildmans old motorhome. Our Stealth toyhauler is there on the left. That was the year I flew my "Red-Tailed Extreme" for my L3 certification. I think I flew 14 rockets at that launch. This year I'm bringing six. Last year with all the rain, I flew 5, and only one was at the away pads. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to get from the South 40, through the crowds and out to the away RSO for the bigger rockets I fly now.
Sharon and I now go to Airfest for the experience. Like I said in my previous post, we come early to spend time with our friends, most of them we only see once a year.

Since my friends Wayne and Sharon posted what they will fly, I thought I would also share. I don’t go big like they do. Only 3 rockets this year, but all 2 stages. A Wildman Darkstar Junior, I366R to I300T. A Wildman 3” Darkstar, K455 NW to J180T. And a Wildman Junior, J825R to I300T. That’s if I can make the 825 fit. If not, I’ll go down a grain In the booster. It’s really, really tight. With the motor case and the interstage coupler taking up so much room, there’s only about 3 inches for two ejection charges, a Comspec tracker, a thin mill chute, some Nomex, and some Kevlar.

I have everything packed and ready to load into my Civic. I put the car rack back on and have the Yakima Rocket Box mounted.

I just noticed that I have a Punisher Sport that I built for an LDRS in California a few years ago sitting next to the rockets I’m taking, so I guess I’ll take that along, too. I’ll have to find a 29mm motor of some sort to put in it.

Last edited:
With a K455 for a booster, will you even be able to see the J light? Hope I get to see that flight!
Edit
Speaking of flights I would like to see:
The Phoenix if the Kloudbusters Air Show can get it together
StreuB1 Demon 150 with whatever Superthunder he decides on
Firemanup's Wildman Competitor 5 on an N2000
DAllen's Flying basket of Death and Destruction- I might have to bring a frisbee....
rocketkyle's full scale Arcas and his 3" MD on an M4096
tjsnakez 12" Mega Punisher on WAY TOO MUCH THRUST
DMehalko's King Viper with H rocket and Eric C's King Vipers in a drag race....

Last edited:
There is now a L1000 in my 3" Prometheus. In case anyone is interested...

The flying basket is ready to be loaded in the car now....I just need to find a vendor that has a I366 for that nonsense.

GIGGITY

DAllen's Flying basket of Death and Destruction- I might have to bring a frisbee....
1. Don't worry about bringing a disc. I will have some for you to toss provided the RSO permits such silliness.
2. You won't be able to hit it. Period.

With a K455 for a booster, will you even be able to see the J light? Hope I get to see that flight!
Edit
StreuB1 Demon 150 with whatever Superthunder he decides on
Firemanup's Wildman Competitor 5 on an N2000
rocketkyle's full scale Arcas and his 3" MD on an M4096
tjsnakez 12" Mega Punisher on WAY TOO MUCH THRUST
DMehalko's King Viper with H rocket and Eric C's King Vipers in a drag race....

I am bringing ALL the Super Thunder. ;)

Demon 150 on the L2500ST then on the M4500ST. Adrian is bringing a spare set of closures so I can have both loaded up and ready to go. Either Fri/Sat, Sat/Sat, or Sat/Sun.

Super Jart 5 on a K750ST (or maybe aK1499N, L1940X, or M1297W)

Demon 5 on an M1780NT (not Super, but Kinda!) .....this is gonna scream

Got 2 days of work this week and then its go time!

Excited to make it back to airfest where I started my rocketry journey only a year ago. Sounds like there are gonna be a lot of awesome flights and I expect nothing less. I'm bringing a 5.5in LOC Big nuke 3e on a L850, a 3" Wildman Intimidator on a K480, and a 4" LOC AMRAAM on a K270! Hopefully all goes well, can't wait to be there!

Look forward to seeing you and your dad again this year, Tanner!

That L850 is a wolf in sheep's clothing, great motor!!

I am flying a K270 as well; Wildman Mach 2 from a tower! Looking forward to seeing how the modern RMS version of the old faithful K250 does. 😃😃😃😃😃

Your rocket journey started long before last year. Somewhere, I probably have some photos to prove it!
Hahaha I guess you're right about that. At least, my high power journey started last year, I was merely an assistant before that 🤣🤣

Wayne, the Kloudbuster Air Show team will indeed make an appearance early Saturday morning flying the Aerotech Phoenix gliders on the 32mm G-12's. These flights will be in honor of Joe Grubb, the fourth KB Air Show member, who passed away in October of 2020.

Back